Debate: Diamond jewellery during the day? Where do you draw the line?

HistoricJewels

Jewellery obsessed
Jan 8, 2013
Hello fellow jewellery aficionados,

I want your opinions on the classic faux pas of wearing diamonds during the day! In our modern times is this rule totally obsolete or are there lines we still shouldn't cross relating to wearing diamonds during the day?

Is it ok to wear pave/solitaire pendants but not a full necklace? Should diamond bangles be reserved for the evening? Should one never layer diamond pieces such as necklaces or bracelets before 6 pm?

What are you boundaries of style?

My view is that if you own it, wear it. Jewelry is meant to be worn and enjoyed. What good does it do, sitting in a jewelry drawer?

My husband is a beer-pizza-baseball-football-hockey kind of guy who'd rather be hog tied, than go to black tie. He only goes when there is no other choice.

I have significant jewelry — and wear my diamonds all the time, just not all at once.

Diamonds are always appropriate!

haha... sounds like Holly Golightly! :P

I think it's more the style of the piece than the materials, as well as your lifestyle. My lifestyle and the Real Housewives of Bev. Hills apparently is quite different! haha...

But I have a yellow diamond pendant and other pendants (Cartier med. orchid pave) that I think are just fine with jeans and a tee...

haha... sounds like Holly Golightly! :P

I think it's more the style of the piece than the materials, as well as your lifestyle. My lifestyle and the Real Housewives of Bev. Hills apparently is quite different! haha...

But I have a yellow diamond pendant and other pendants (Cartier med. orchid pave) that I think are just fine with jeans and a tee...

Umm...how did I miss this? PIcs pics!

I love wearing my Tiffany Victoria tennis bracelet and large pendant during the day. They look great with jeans - and LBDs! I would not wear a huge choker type diamond necklace during the day (not that I have one,) but bangles, pendants, earrings, tennis bracelets, ring of all styles - sure!!

I'd wager a guess that few of us (although I know there are some!) own substantial diamond necklaces - I mean necklaces made of substantial sized diamonds, one linked to another, noticeable across the room (not pendants). If I owned such a necklace I would wear it singly and not layer it, although I might well wear it before 6 pm, depending on the outfit and the occasion. But overall I tend to agree with Candice in that I believe in balance - in other words, I would not wear statement earrings, necklace and bangles/cuffs at the same time, daytime or evening.

Diamonds are appropriate in most cases, IMO, including daytime. Diamond stud earrings and DBTY, solitaire pendants or halo pendants are standard daytime wear, as are DBTY bracelets and diamond bangles and tennis bracelets. Layering with anything except statement pieces is absolutely acceptable. Chandelier earrings and very large, intricate pieces tend to lend themselves to special outfits and thus trend more toward evening, IMO, but overall there really are no rules.

I love seeing women wear diamond jewelry on daily basis, if you're comfortable and you job allows for bling I see no limits!)
Agree on the tennis necklace, if I had one I would wear it with a t-shirt and jeans! Yummy!!:biggrin:

Hmmmmm...I agree with the opinions here - elegance in jewellery is about balance, not strict rules. Whenever I see rules listed by fashion editors or designers or whoever, I always instinctively go 'feh'. Times change, styles change, tastes change. 'Rules' are inherently static. I believe in rules in mathematics and law (and even then, sometimes they change). Not in style or fashion. And people who try to insist that rules exist in fashion prove nothing more than their lack of understanding of fashion. We do not walk around the streets of cities today in powdered wigs wearing ankle-length frocks with bustles for a reason, no?

I have a beautiful diamond necklace that I purchased after many years of trying to find a pendant that I could wear every day. T&Co, VCA, Cartier - I've tried them all on. What can I say? Pendants do NOT work on me. End of sentence.

But I still wanted something. Enter a very beautiful diamond necklace - it's in the style of the T&Co Swing. Now if I wish, I can wear this necklace with a cocktail frock and modest (read: balanced) earrings and look like a dressed up lady. I can also wear this necklace with a v neck top and trousers or shift dress under a round collar jacket to work and look like a professional woman at work. Frankly, I get more wear out of the necklace for day, because at night, to dress up and lend bling to an outfit, I prefer to wear statement earrings and I would not wear a full diamond necklace with drop earrings out of deference to my lifestyle - I am not a Hollywood starlet on the red carpet!

It's interesting, but while I would love a pearl necklace (double strand south seas :tup:) I cannot see myself wearing such a necklace until I am somewhere around 45 or 50 - because the women who I see wearing pearl necklaces like that now are typically a bit older, such as Michelle *****. I feel for myself, if I were to wear such a necklace now, it would look sort of twee and just not right :nogood: This is good though, because I will probably need at least 12 years to save for my pearl necklace :roflmfao:

In comparison, the diamond necklace I have is quite delicate and almost 'girly'. It's not a 'power' necklace.

There are no rules. I know some days, some nights, some occasions and some outfits, my diamond necklace is completely wrong. When it's completely right, I wear it and love it :biggrin:

Last edited:
A lady at work told us that she loves diamonds and that wears on average 10 ctw everyday. She was not bragging or anything, was just say it matter of factly. She does have very lovely jewelries :smile:

Diamonds are always appropriate is about the most perfect way to put it. Wear em if you got em!

I rarely wear my jewelry at work anymore. That's mostly a result of the economical situation though, and outright laziness sometimes ;) I work in an office where I deal with a lot of folks who have been out of work for a long time, and I feel like a jerk if I wear my stuff. I don't want to "rub it in" I guess? But in the winter I rarely wear rings if there's gloves involved, because I hate the way rings dig with my gloves so I rarely bother at all, even with plain bands. Haven't worn my studs in a long time. Never wear necklaces or bracelets or watches. I fail at bling lately.