Dear Hazelnut owners:

nforemm

Feb 26, 2012
I am over the moon, I finally "purchased" (won on eBay) a hazelnut Fran.

I will post pictures as soon as she arrives, but I wanted to ask you owners if you have treated your bag with anything and if so, with what?
I wear exclusively dark jeans and will be extremely careful not to get rub off.

I have Cadillac cleaner/protector as well as a leather spray from Wilsons. I have used these on all of my shoes and other pebbled MJ bag and all is well but I was curious about Applecare. Any thoughts? I have read every single forum that exists about the long debate so I'm just looking for some first hand experience and will use this as my reveal thread later. Thank you! XO

I am over the moon, I finally "purchased" (won on eBay) a hazelnut Fran.

I will post pictures as soon as she arrives, but I wanted to ask you owners if you have treated your bag with anything and if so, with what?
I wear exclusively dark jeans and will be extremely careful not to get rub off.

I have Cadillac cleaner/protector as well as a leather spray from Wilsons. I have used these on all of my shoes and other pebbled MJ bag and all is well but I was curious about Applecare. Any thoughts? I have read every single forum that exists about the long debate so I'm just looking for some first hand experience and will use this as my reveal thread later. Thank you! XO

Hello,

First of all, congratulations on your win! I'm looking forward to seeing pics. About Applecare, I have the conditioner and cleaner set. I haven't pretreated any of my bags (bad!) but I can tell you that I was not impressed with the cleaner, after I experienced color transfer to my Mink Natasha and Coral Percy. Maybe it would have worked better had I pretreated, but I'd personally go with another product.

I pretreat all of my bags with a spray (I don't know the brand's name, but it something you can pick up anywhere). At this point I haven't had any color transfer issues, although I don't buy light-colored bags. I have the Apple cleaner and conditioner (I bought it because I saw some TPFers talk about it). So far the conditioner has worked just fine for me. I've used the cleaner a few times and it has been okay too, but I haven't needed to use it on something that had transfer, etc. on it so I can't speak to that.

There is a Handbag Care and Maintenance sub forum. If you read around there you might find some reviews on various cleaners/treatments.

At any rate, I would suggest pretreating it.

Thank you for your input, ladies!

I guess there is not much point to buying Appleguard if it's not going to work any better than Cadillac. Are your two bags permanently stained?

I recall treating my elderberry mag bag with Cadillac first, Melatonian shoe cream next and finishing it with the Wilsons spray. It worked quite well in the rain, the spots would show up and then just magically fade away. There was a time in the summer where my bag rubbed off on my white blouse but perhaps I could have buffed it better. I can recommend those products to you if get any new bags. The Wilsons spray is a light mist, and all of my shoes are made of buttery leather and it works great.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input, ladies!

I guess there is not much point to buying Appleguard if it's not going to work any better than Cadillac. Are your two bags permanently stained?

I recall treating my elderberry mag bag with Cadillac first, Melatonian shoe cream next and finishing it with the Wilsons spray. It worked quite well in the rain, the spots would show up and then just magically fade away. There was a time in the summer where my bag rubbed off on my white blouse but perhaps I could have buffed it better. I can recommend those products to you if get any new bags. The Wilsons spray is a light mist, and all of my shoes are made of buttery leather and it works great.
I'm not sure whether my bags are permanently stained, simply because I don't want to try to clean them too often and damage the finish. I've never had issues with rain spots, but I baby my bags and wipe them off constantly if I take them out in the rain.

I have heard a lot about Cadillac, maybe I'll try that and pretreat my bags :smile: