Dear Dooney.com, please get your act together.

DD: since this was a fraudulent transaction, is it possible that Dooney was scammed too? Someone got your CC info (hacked or stolen from somewhere) and ordered a handbag?

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine was targeted in a scam this week. And she also found
out that other people had the same experience.

I also ready this week in the newspaper about major US gov't systems being hacked recently.
And a few years ago one of the major credit reporting agencies was hacked and hundreds of thousands
of records of user info were compromised. That means that many of us have had our credit histories
exposed.... it's only a matter of time until that info is sold and used.
We need to be vigilant in keeping track of our credit cards, debit cards, and checking accounts.
And we need to remember that the problem is ongoing. Very upsetting.

Reactions: Bestbagyet
Update: the [very high dollar amount] Dooney.com charged my credit card out of thin air finally posted for good; it is not a phantom pending charge and is now part of my card statement requiring payment.

Note: I did not use DooneyPay recently and in fact have never used it.

This was an entirely fabricated charge on Dooney's part that they were able to execute because I, a repeat customer of several years, had stored my credit card on Dooney.com because they did not accept PayPal at the time and the bag I wanted was a Dooney.com exclusive.

I have only had super-easy transactions and dealings with ILoveDooney, BTW. And I have had dozens of orders with them over the years.

When I called the credit card bank, a large national institution, to dispute the charges, the phone agent let me know I was NOT the first person that day to dispute charges from Dooney.com.

The agent said she had to cancel my card for Fraud and will send me a new one at the most inconvenient time of the year to have a credit card cancelled and out of commission temporarily.

Most daunting to me is that I will need to dig up all my old passwords for the various subscriptions and utility vendors for which I have credit card auto-payments set up and enter my new card info.

All of this because of Dooney's continued, unresolved malfeasance in accounting and billing practices.

And they have blocked us from communicating with them via the three formats advertised on their site.

And they have not even graced their loyal customers with an email notifying us of an error in billing, which almost every company these days would do/has done.

They are a disgrace!

This happened to me last year; I had to dispute charges and cancel my credit card to get it resolved. The problem is, once you enter your credit card information on the Dooney.com website, you CANNOT remove it. I don't know why they are the only online retailer that will not allow a customer to delete a payment method, but it is very frustrating. I haven't made a purchase from Dooney.com since then, though I have purchased items from ILD where I can use Paypal. I can't believe this crap is still happening to people.

Reactions: Lunalark
So many systems are interconnected these days and info is stored, even if we don't know it.
That makes us all vulnerable if we ever use a credit card, even if we don't ask the info to be
saved. Credit card company systems and bank systems have been hacked over the years.
And I recently got a letter from a hospital that the vendor they use for billing was hacked!
I know people whose identities were stolen from info in a doctors office.

And in today's newspaper.... a major story about gov't and corporate systems that were
hacked by sophisticated foreign gov't 'actors'. Apparently the security system
software was hacked and provided the entry point for a 'trojan horse' virus to invade and
gather unknown amounts of info.

We all need to watch our accounts carefully and take
action if something is wrong. Credit cards seem to be 'safer'. With a debit card the money
is gone and you have to fight to get it back. With a cc, the charge might be there...
but.... you still have your money while you are trying to resolve the problem.

Sometimes companies don't even know their systems have been compromised for many
months. When they discover the problem they then have to investigate and try to figure
out what is going on. Often as consumers we aren't notified for many, many months,
if at all. Sometimes seeing an item in the newspaper is how we learn of a problem....
or seeing suspicious charges on our accounts.

Companies are normally reluctant to share the info that they have been hacked.
The pandemic has made the situation even worse.... business disruptions,
staffing reductions, lower revenue. Add to that national and worldwide political and social
issues, and it's a ripe environment for hackers and fraudulent activity.

Just an update: After an investigation, my bank refunded my account. Albeit a small amount, it is still unnerving to have money taken from my account without authorization. As previously mentioned, I never ordered anything from Dooney.com using my bankcard, therefore they never had my debit card or bank account information on file. However, over the last two months, I have placed several orders with Dooney outlets, via phone, and I have placed several orders with ILD. I hate to think that someone from the outlet used my card without permission, but that is the risk I took by placing an order over the phone. Now that I know better, I will do better. No more phone orders for me. Hopefully, everyone's situation will get resolved, soon.

I thought it only fair to post a positive experience....

I returned an Alto purchased from the main Dooney site.
The bag was defective... the front leather panel was wavy....
texture was fine, there was just too much leather or it had
been stretched so it didn't lay flat.

Used the Dooney site return process.
I got a complete refund, with no deductions for return shipping.
:smile: That's the way it should be done.

The bag shouldn't have gone out from the main site....
but I know that not all items are individually checked for quality in a mass
manufacturing world. But... at least I had no hassle regarding the
amount of the credit.

Other bag returns, when the 'defect' was more subtle, Dooney
deducted the cost of the return shipping from the refund.
It's a hassle to have to fight to get it back. And often you don't win
the argument. It was nice that this time it went smoothly and
automatically.

Reactions: BadWolf10
Well ladies, three years after I initially posted about the same experience, Dooney is up to its old tricks again. Got an email saying that I was never charged for a couple of handbags I purchased IN 2021 and would I please call their “customer service line” (HAH!) and pay them today! I cannot tell you how angry i am about this (and at myself for continuing to spend money with this company). Has anyone else had this happen to them recently???

Well ladies, three years after I initially posted about the same experience, Dooney is up to its old tricks again. Got an email saying that I was never charged for a couple of handbags I purchased IN 2021 and would I please call their “customer service line” (HAH!) and pay them today! I cannot tell you how angry i am about this (and at myself for continuing to spend money with this company). Has anyone else had this happen to them recently???
They never charged my card for a bag I bought online in like 2016 I believe.

Sucks to be them, I fully enjoyed my bag too..lol.

No one ever contacted me though, I havent shopped with them since.

This morning I pre-ordered a bag on dooney.com and I used my credit card. This evening I went out for dinner and my card was declined. Then I saw I had missed a call from my credit card co. about possible fraudulent use of my card. I had to call and verify the dooney.com charge. Strange!

Some credit card companies are starting to require verification for
out of state purchases. A friend always got calls when she ordered
by phone from a Brahmin outlet in a different state. It was annoying,
and also embarrassing, but after sorting out the issue, she realized
that the CC co. rules were 'protecting' her from unauthorized use.
Unfortunately, bad actors make it more difficult for the rest of u.

Reactions: bagshopr
Hi..I'm new to DB just found out about this brand recently. I live in Hong Kong, so I ordered DB bag 3 days ago. Anyone has any experience ordering DB outside USA? Would like to know how long will it take etc. So far I only got 1 email confirmation about my order. TIA.

Hi..I'm new to DB just found out about this brand recently. I live in Hong Kong, so I ordered DB bag 3 days ago. Anyone has any experience ordering DB outside USA? Would like to know how long will it take etc. So far I only got 1 email confirmation about my order. TIA.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't give you any info about sales/delivery outside the US. Maybe some of our other posters will chime in. Hope you enjoy your new handbag.

Don't stress over delivery time, even in the US, it can take a week before the item ships
and then another week for it to arrive. And that's assuming everything goes according to plan and the item is in stock. International deliveries have to be more complicated and take longer.

Also know that email and customer service are often
less than wonderful. The products are excellent and Dooney is a reputable company....
but sometimes the administration/service is not so great. I still buy a ton, because in the end they always come thru. Just don't stress or you will make your waiting harder.

What handbag did you buy?

Hi @lavenderjunkie thank you for your reply :smile: yes I know haha I just can't wait especially when it says on the website only 5-12 days shipping time. But I didn't know it could take weeks for them to process. Anyway I do hope I can get it before Christmas. I bought Pebble Twist Hobo and Pebble Kendall Drawstring haha just can't resist the Black Friday sales. I hope the quality will be good cause I read nowdays some people said DB going down hill. May I know what DB bags you have and which one you like the best @lavenderjunkie ?

Hi @lavenderjunkie thank you for your reply :smile: yes I know haha I just can't wait especially when it says on the website only 5-12 days shipping time. But I didn't know it could take weeks for them to process. Anyway I do hope I can get it before Christmas. I bought Pebble Twist Hobo and Pebble Kendall Drawstring haha just can't resist the Black Friday sales. I hope the quality will be good cause I read nowdays some people said DB going down hill. May I know what DB bags you have and which one you like the best @lavenderjunkie ?
Pebble leather is one of Dooney's best lines in terms of quality and durability. I love the styles you chose. I have the Twist strap hobo (in a different leather) and several
Dooney drawstring bags in pebbled leather. Even tho satchels are my favorite style
I'm obsessed with drawstring bags lately.

I've been 'collecting' Dooney for over
25 years, so my collection is pretty large I've never counted, I don't want
to know. For day to day use, pebbled leather is my favorite.
I also love the Florentine
leather collection and the Alto collection.
The quality on the pebbled leather handbags is usually excellent. And overall the quality of all the handbags is very high.

Due to the nature of Florentine leather its texture is sometimes uneven or pebbled and most ladies prefer a smooth finish. So they are disappointed and unhappy with the
quality of the bag they received. Of course everyone wants a new bag to be perfect and
pristine. Overall, I've order over 100 handbags from Dooney (or I Love Dooney (it's official online outlet) and I've only had to return 1 or 2 for quality issues.... and I'm
very picky.

Fingers crossed you get your handbags soon and that you adore them.