Dear Dooney.com, please get your act together.

Thanks LJ. My point was, I DID NOT MAKE A PURCHASE. I haven't bought anything for a few months and my last purchases were not "Dooney pay," so I don't owe them anything. There is no reason they should be trying to charge my credit card, and yet they still won't remove it from their website. I'm done ordering from Dooney and Bourke. I should have reported unauthorized activity on my credit card last time this happened and had the card replaced. I will do that this time.
Since you didn't make a purchase, that puts a new spin on things. Good thing your credit card company refused the charge. I wonder if you can get them to block all future charges from Dooney since it seems that Dooney has a problem..
I know it's a pain, but have you thought about getting a new credit card and then cancelling the one that Dooney has on file? That way your credit card company can never approve another charge on that account.

Can someone please help me? Today I placed an order for the Smith bag at Dooney.com. I tried to place an order last night from my Ipad, but it didn’t accept my payment method, so I tried from my computer today and it passed. However, after reviewing my order history, I noticed that I have two orders:confused1: and I can’t communicate with Dooney. I dial the phone number, and it sounds like disconnected. I tried to send an email, and it is undeliverable. Also, there is no one on the live chat. I tried calling the 800 345 5000. No success. Do you know another phone number? TIA.

I swore off Dooney.com. I changed cc, in fact changed banks. Now I'm drooling over a barlow on sale. I attempted to order it as a guest (hypocrite that I am) & received an immediate response "Sorry your order cannot be completed at this time. Try again, or if the issue persists contact your banking institution".
There is no problem with my bank or account, & I am afraid to place the order again. Also afraid the bag won't be on sale tomorrow.
Anyone else gotten the "sorry but" response, & what was the outcome?

I swore off Dooney.com. I changed cc, in fact changed banks. Now I'm drooling over a barlow on sale. I attempted to order it as a guest (hypocrite that I am) & received an immediate response "Sorry your order cannot be completed at this time. Try again, or if the issue persists contact your banking institution".
There is no problem with my bank or account, & I am afraid to place the order again. Also afraid the bag won't be on sale tomorrow.
Anyone else gotten the "sorry but" response, & what was the outcome?
LB: when I order from Dooney.com, it's always as a guest and I type in the addr and credit card info each time. I don't log on to the site and don't use any of their payment options. I've never had a problem. I ordered 2 of the Flo Ashton totes last month when they were at really low prices. It took a while to ship, because they were back ordered, but overall, they arrived in under a month. Site didn't show updated info, but when I saw my cc was charged, I called and got the tracking info.
Most of my ordering is from ILD, but sometimes it's directly from Dooney.

Are you using a debit card or a payment over time option?

LB: when I order from Dooney.com, it's always as a guest and I type in the addr and credit card info each time. I don't log on to the site and don't use any of their payment options. I've never had a problem. I ordered 2 of the Flo Ashton totes last month when they were at really low prices. It took a while to ship, because they were back ordered, but overall, they arrived in under a month. Site didn't show updated info, but when I saw my cc was charged, I called and got the tracking info.
Most of my ordering is from ILD, but sometimes it's directly from Dooney.

Are you using a debit card or a payment over time option?
@lavenderjunkie, I'm using my debit, never used time pay even when I had my info stored with them. I am concerned if I try to order again I will end up with 2 bags, 2 charges & being the weekend it won't post on my bank account immediately. Like you, I do not store my banking info on their site - anymore. It just comes down to mistrust of Dooney now. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this website issue this year (I did see Brendutch post of 2019) if the transaction REALLY didn't go through or not.

Last edited:
Update - called Dooney & was told yesterday's attempt did indeed fail. Sad when you hold so much mistrust in the store that sells the product you love.
I did go ahead & order the bag. I do sooo hope all goes well with the monetary transaction & they send a good unreturned bag.

Update - called Dooney & was told yesterday's attempt did indeed fail. Sad when you hold so much mistrust in the store that sells the product you love.
I did go ahead & order the bag. I do sooo hope all goes well with the monetary transaction & they send a good unreturned bag.
LB: good luck. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way debit card transactions are handled. May or may not be particular to Dooney.

On some sites, when an item is available on an 'easy pay' like plan or an autoship, they appear to require pre-authorization for the total price from the cc company, before they process the order.../ even tho our current charge is a fraction of the future total. So I'm guessing, from that experience, that if I order a $75 item on autoship, they request preauthorization from my cc company that my available credit would cover multiple shipments.

I've always wondered how many times that original dollar amount gets 'reserved' (tied up and not available) for future shipments which I might or might not cancel. I think time payments
like Dooney pay work in a similar way. We may only be billed for part of the cost initially, but the entire cost of the item is 'reserved' for the future payments we owe. And that money is no longer available to authorize something else.

Since debit cards work differently than credit cards, this means that the bank might be reserving funds based on other outstanding purchases and not consider the money 'in your account' and available for a new purchase. We may carefully pay our bills and be sure that we have enough money before buying something.... but not everyone is as careful. And banks set up their rules to protect their business and make money... they are not doing any of this to make our lives easier.

Or it could be problems in the system that have nothing to do with you.
Hope you get one handbag and it's perfect and you love it an there are no further hassles. :smile:

OK LB, now to the fun stuff.... which Barlow did you order.... what size, what color, what leather? I was obsessed with the original Barlow in City leather. Every time I saw one, I wanted to order another color. :smile:

LB: good luck. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way debit card transactions are handled. May or may not be particular to Dooney.

On some sites, when an item is available on an 'easy pay' like plan or an autoship, they appear to require pre-authorization for the total price from the cc company, before they process the order.../ even tho our current charge is a fraction of the future total. So I'm guessing, from that experience, that if I order a $75 item on autoship, they request preauthorization from my cc company that my available credit would cover multiple shipments.

I've always wondered how many times that original dollar amount gets 'reserved' (tied up and not available) for future shipments which I might or might not cancel. I think time payments
like Dooney pay work in a similar way. We may only be billed for part of the cost initially, but the entire cost of the item is 'reserved' for the future payments we owe. And that money is no longer available to authorize something else.

Since debit cards work differently than credit cards, this means that the bank might be reserving funds based on other outstanding purchases and not consider the money 'in your account' and available for a new purchase. We may carefully pay our bills and be sure that we have enough money before buying something.... but not everyone is as careful. And banks set up their rules to protect their business and make money... they are not doing any of this to make our lives easier.

Or it could be problems in the system that have nothing to do with you.
Hope you get one handbag and it's perfect and you love it an there are no further hassles. :smile:
LJ, it must have been on Dooney's end. I've never had an issue with my new bank & funds were available and nothing was outstanding. Plus, I never use Dooney's easy pay.
Oh well...it's over now.
In answer to your other post, I got the regular size city leather In bubble gum. Thanks for the well wishes.

LJ, it must have been on Dooney's end. I've never had an issue with my new bank & funds were available and nothing was outstanding. Plus, I never use Dooney's easy pay.
Oh well...it's over now.
In answer to your other post, I got the regular size city leather In bubble gum. Thanks for the well wishes.
LB: the regular size is the perfect size, at least I think so. I have the small,, the regular, and the large, in different colors, and the regular is my Goldilocks just right size. Hope yours is perfect for you.

Reactions: Lilybarb
Wow...that happened to me, a couple years ago.

I ordered a $250 DB bag while the site was “upgrading”..I initially was charged, but then noticed the charge dropped off after a few days.

Guess what? My purse still shipped :smile:

I figured it was a weird glitch, and when I checked my DB account it showed my order was closed? Lol.

Reading that its a common issue makes me wonder if it happened to others.

My bag is still holding up beautifully, btw lol.

hey all!! I returned a bag and wallet and it was received by Dooney on August 7th. I received a refund for the wallet on 8/12. On 8/26, I called to find out where the refund for the handbag is to be told the bag wasn't in the box. What the what?!?. Um yes it was. I have the tracking number, drop off receipt, and the info that shows the box weight was 5lbs when dropped off so, the bag was sent back. They opened a case on Aug 26th. I called back on Sept 2nd and still nothing, so they "escalated" the case. I am so frustrated. I know with COVID and so many working from home things take a while, but both CS reps told me I would get a call back, which I didn't. And still no refund. Oye. I don't know what to do at this point.

Dooney customer service has been frustrating me and this is the icing on the cake. I keep thinking I'm done buying new Dooneys. Then today I was checking out the labor day sale (sigh).

I hope i get the refund soon. Come ON Dooney.

• Sad
Reactions: LemonDrop
BW: I know what you are going thru. It's so frustrating and unfair. I'm having an issue with Macy's now.... ordered 2 items, they shipped 1, charged me for both. No one in CS.... by phone or online. Paypal didn't resolve the issue for me. Like in your case, shipping weight proves we are
in the right. I hope you can get it resolved soon. Try not to get too upset, but don't give up.
As a last resource, your credit card company might be able to help.

As a result of my experience, I will no longer shop at Macy's.... I just delete all the sale emails
without even looking at them. And, I'm going to stop using Paypal. This was a test, in my mind,
and they failed. If my business isn't of value to a company, I can take my money elsewhere.

And from now on I'm going to try to remember to separate items into different orders and shipments....
unless I need to make a minimum purchase for free shipping.

Good luck.

Reactions: BadWolf10
BW: I know what you are going thru. It's so frustrating and unfair. I'm having an issue with Macy's now.... ordered 2 items, they shipped 1, charged me for both. No one in CS.... by phone or online. Paypal didn't resolve the issue for me. Like in your case, shipping weight proves we are
in the right. I hope you can get it resolved soon. Try not to get too upset, but don't give up.
As a last resource, your credit card company might be able to help.

As a result of my experience, I will no longer shop at Macy's.... I just delete all the sale emails
without even looking at them. And, I'm going to stop using Paypal. This was a test, in my mind,
and they failed. If my business isn't of value to a company, I can take my money elsewhere.

And from now on I'm going to try to remember to separate items into different orders and shipments....
unless I need to make a minimum purchase for free shipping.

Good luck.
Oh man. That is very frustrating. I would be very upset with Macys too. I hope they resolve your problem soon. And very frustrating about PayPal. I have had to make a claim once. I had purchased something on Etsy and it was not at all as described. Etsy, unlike eBay, doesn't give a hoot about buyers. It's basically just a selling forum. I have had mostly good luck there, but learned to only by from US sellers. I had to make a claim through PayPal. It took 30 days to get my money back. It was a HUGE PITA.

I just don't know what to do about Dooney. I feel like their quality is still superior to most brands in their price point (Coach retail is still quite nice, and outlet is nice if you get a good sale). But I am super frustrated with their returns process and general customer service online. I love the outlet (I live 10 minutes from the Chicago Outlet store) but I am so upset with their online service. And with COVID, the stores are still closed. And sometimes you can only find an item online. But it's almost impossible to get ahold of someone on the phone without waiting 30 mins on hold, and then you can't be sure that they will solve your problem. I spoke with them Friday with no resolve. I am going to wait till Thursday to call again and let them catch up with the long weekend issues. If I don't have a refund by then, I'm calling and asking for someone to move me up the chain to someone with authority.

Maybe I should just delete their emails for a while. I certainly have a large enough collection to enjoy a variety of bags. And apparently if I order from them or ILD I should just treat the purchase as a final sale because returns are a PITA.

Good luck to you too :smile: I hope Macys comes through for you.