Dealing with the unease of Classics

Hello everyone! I’ve been collecting bags in the 1000-3000 range for several years and now I’ve reached a place in my financials that I can make the jump to Chanel without issue. I’ve been researching for the last few months and have made a Chanel wish list. Within the next 2 years, I’d like to acquire a small Trendy CC, M/L Chanel 19, Deauville tote and a Pearl Crush Mini.
My Trendy CC is on its way and I’m on a waitlist for the 19.

The thing is... am I making a mistake by not going for a classic flap? I find both flaps and boy bags to be very common and the most duped. My family and friends who own a Chanel have either the flap or boy. And I’ve seen so many fakes being sold on the streets of Europe, Asia and Africa on every vacation I’ve been on. It has left a permanent feeling of unease and distrust when I see them. For the same reason I’ve never been able to buy a LV neverfull or speedy.

How do you get over this? Am I making a mistake not getting a classic anytime soon? I don’t like the boy at all but I could see myself one day getting over the hump with a flap. Should I get it now or wait until I really want it even if it’s more pricy?

Thank you!

I’ll be really honest....
I’m not a huge fan of the “Classics”
Please don’t let the idea of the importance of the classic flap et al, to get in your head.
Buy only what YOU love and what’s right for YOU!
If I count my Chanel collection correctly I think I have 8 pieces
Maybe 2 are classified as “classics”.
Buy what is practical for you, and that you’ll actually use.

Not really. I mostly have classics in my collection and I'm starting to crave some fun pieces. The bags you're purchasing (MAYBE not the 19) are pretty timeless imo, even if they aren't considered the Chanel "classic"

I used to love the boy but I got rid of all of mine because they're so boxy on me. If you don't love the classic flap don't get it!!

Reactions: PricelessHunts
I love this question. :flowers:
I have just bought my first Chanel and it is a small Coco Handle in beige with burgundy handle. I wasn‘t drawn to the classic flaps at all and I am already thinking of my next Chanel bag, which will -most likely- not be a classic flap either.
I think Chanel offers so many beautiful bags for much better prices than the classics (I like the ones you are looking for!)
Plus: ... for me it‘s hard to justify the 6050€ for a m/l flap or even more for a jumbo, when I look at my Coco that was almost only half the price... ( and I tried the classics and the boy in store as well).

I have made the mistake in the past to go for bags everybody said you have to have (my example is the Neverfull- I had three and couldn't make one of them work. All sold now.)

Go for what speaks to you!

Definitely agree with everyone else, purchase whatever style suits you! It's too much money to spend on something that you don't think you'll use or use enough. I love the Classic Flaps and smaller bags in general, but over the years as I've needed to carry more, I've looked at other styles (from Chanel and non-Chanel) that I think suit the "everyday bag" need better- totally depends on what you're looking for!

I do get the fake point though, I usually don't let it bother me bc almost every designer is faked nowadays, but certain pieces it does seem more frequent and can be off putting. I remember that happening with the Cambon line when it launched, the fakes were everywhere to the point that it seemed overwhelming

Reactions: PricelessHunts
Just buy what you love! The Trendy is amazing and has many classic elements. If I buy a classic flap, I try to find a unique element. For instance, I’m really drawn to So Black and iridescent, and I personally choose lambskin over caviar.

I was anti-Chanel classic and anti-speedy/NF for years and collected everything but. When I finally decided they would definitely round out my collection I was stuck having to sell some seasonal items that were worth far less and the prices of the classics had all gone up significantly while I buggered about buying more unique stuff. You might not want a classic right now for whatever reason, but by the time you realize you do want one, you'll have invested in trend bags that sucked the classic money away. Then you'll be back on here asking if you should sell the XYZ bag for a classic. I think it's a better idea to get that foundational item from the brand - the classic - and then build fun stuff around it.

From a practical point of view, if you think you might have a real chance of wanting a classic flap any time in the future then you should get one. With the way prices are going up, you can always sell it later and get most if not all of your money back should you decide it's not for you down the line. I didn't want a CF, until I did, and I was lucky enough to get it when prices were still somewhat justifiable. Likewise, if you are sure you don't want to get one now, be honest with yourself about how much you'd be willing to pay if you want it in the future.

A bag having a lot of counterfeits doesn't really bother me, since I know my own bag is real. If anything I feel slightly more relaxed wearing it out because if people just assume it's a fake right away, I'd probably be less likely be targeted for theft. The only time I want to make sure people around me know my bag is a valuable item is for events, but I make sure to have bags for these that aren't well known enough to have much of a counterfeiting presence.

I think you have to try on the classics and analyze how you feel about them before setting you mind on whether you are pro or against them. Figure out if you dislike the classic because you don’t like the design and shape or because it’s a very replicated bag or because many other people have it. If you figure out that you truly dislike the shape and look of a classic then do not get it regardless of how popular it is. Not everyone is supposed to like classic (I dislike Lady Dior and Hermès Birkin/Kelly). However, if you don’t want to ware it because it’s replicated on a fake market or because many other people have it, then I think it makes sense to consider purchasing because you really like the bag itself and may not want to pay higher price later. For instance, consider that right now Chanel 19 bag is one of the most replicated bags on the fake market, but it’s not stopping you from getting it. So concentrate on thinking of bag design and how you feel about it and how it looks on you and how convinent it would be for you in your life and base your decision on that.

You all made some great points! I know for a fact I don’t like the look of a boy and for me I don’t understand how it became a “classic” lol

As for the CF, I think they are beautiful and classy. I hesitate only because they are commonplace. I think I’d have regrets if I never own one.

It seems I like classic colors in “less classic” bags.

Has anyone ever sold all their CFs?

You all made some great points! I know for a fact I don’t like the look of a boy and for me I don’t understand how it became a “classic” lol

As for the CF, I think they are beautiful and classy. I hesitate only because they are commonplace. I think I’d have regrets if I never own one.

It seems I like classic colors in “less classic” bags.

Has anyone ever sold all their CFs?

I only started collecting Chanel around December 2012 and I bought "around" the CF until last year (i.e. everything but a CF lol). I prioritized buying the bags I knew I'd enjoy more (and some cheaper flaps that I thought would scratch the CF itch -- and they didn't), so I had to accept that as a Chanel collector, I wouldn't be at purse peace until I owned a CF. In retrospect, I wish I'd purchased one or two bags I really wanted first (which I did), but that I'd prioritized getting a CF sooner rather than later, since I spent thousands on bags that didn't really satisfy me, and now the same jumbo CF that I had to pay EU5,700 for last year, would've cost me EU3,700 in December 2012 (and now it's gone up to EU6,600!). Now that you've gotten your Trendy CC and hopefully your 19 soon, I think now is the time to look for a CF as your next purchase, if you think this is something you'll want to own in the next few years. It's not like the prices are ever going to drop! :smile:

You might not want a classic right now for whatever reason, but by the time you realize you do want one, you'll have invested in trend bags that sucked the classic money away. Then you'll be back on here asking if you should sell the XYZ bag for a classic. I think it's a better idea to get that foundational item from the brand - the classic - and then build fun stuff around it.
From a practical point of view, if you think you might have a real chance of wanting a classic flap any time in the future then you should get one. With the way prices are going up, you can always sell it later and get most if not all of your money back should you decide it's not for you down the line.
However, if you don’t want to ware it because it’s replicated on a fake market or because many other people have it, then I think it makes sense to consider purchasing because you really like the bag itself and may not want to pay higher price later.
In retrospect, I wish I'd purchased one or two bags I really wanted first (which I did), but that I'd prioritized getting a CF sooner rather than later, since I spent thousands on bags that didn't really satisfy me, and now the same jumbo CF that I had to pay EU5,700 for last year, would've cost me EU3,700 in December 2012 (and now it's gone up to EU6,600!). Now that you've gotten your Trendy CC and hopefully your 19 soon, I think now is the time to look for a CF as your next purchase, if you think this is something you'll want to own in the next few years. It's not like the prices are ever going to drop! :smile:

+1 to everyone who said if you think you'll ever want a Classic flap to get it now. If you're sure you'll never want one and you don't like the style, don't get one!

I think Trendy is so luxe. I love it way more than my CF. I love the medium CF, the jumbo is too heavy for me. I never use mine, the 2.6 is lovely and Trendy is so beautiful lighter and practical.

Reactions: jellybebe
I have also heard the Trendy is going up in price this fall so I made sure I got it ASAP. The price of CFs are crazy now...I’m thinking I’ll get a vintage first. Will the CF go up in price in 2021 despite the huge increase this year?