Dealing with rain & bags

i live in a wet and rainy climate. this is a dreadful place for beautiful bags. i have beautiful calf leather bag that i bought on impluse. i can hardly use it cos it stains easily and it does not return to original color after it drys. i thought of spraying some protection coat on it but worried if it will turn my bag darker? sometimes umbrella cant even keep the heavy downpour away.. pls dont tell me use an ugly plastic bag over it.. anyway i left it in my cupboard most of the days ... any better suggestions? sighs .. :sweatdrop:

Well, it doesn't have to be an ugly plastic bag. There are lots of nylon options.

I live in Seattle and during the rainy season (= most of the year) I carry this little nylon tote which zips down into a small pouch that fits in my purse. I spray my bags with Collonil waterstop and carry an umbrella most of the time but sometimes it is raining so hard or so sideways (*sigh*) that a bag raincoat really is in order.

Attachments

• Tote bag 006.JPG
    Tote bag 006.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 809
  • Tote bag 004.JPG
    Tote bag 004.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 811
Well, it doesn't have to be an ugly plastic bag. There are lots of nylon options.

I live in Seattle and during the rainy season (= most of the year) I carry this little nylon tote which zips down into a small pouch that fits in my purse. I spray my bags with Collonil waterstop and carry an umbrella most of the time but sometimes it is raining so hard or so sideways (*sigh*) that a bag raincoat really is in order.

That is the cutest beckoning cat bag.

i live in a wet and rainy climate. this is a dreadful place for beautiful bags. i have beautiful calf leather bag that i bought on impluse. i can hardly use it cos it stains easily and it does not return to original color after it drys. i thought of spraying some protection coat on it but worried if it will turn my bag darker? sometimes umbrella cant even keep the heavy downpour away.. pls dont tell me use an ugly plastic bag over it.. anyway i left it in my cupboard most of the days ... any better suggestions? sighs .. :sweatdrop:
Why not get a stylish reusable grocery sac?

I carry an envirosax nylon bag so that if I get caught in the rain, I just put my handbag into the envirosax. It's much nicer than a plastic bag, takes up no room in my purse and comes in handy. They have many beautiful designs and it just looks like I'm carrying a cute tote. There are many bands but I like the designs of the envirox the best.

I believe that bags need to be used. Who wants to spend all that money on a purse to have it sit in the closet?

Hi!

When I know that it's going to be raining and I'm still choosing to go out with a designer handbag, I just bring an extra raincoat with me and cover the bag with it if I know I have to walk outdoors with it. That said, I'll try to plan out my day logistically so I get around indoors/in cars as much as possible, but if I know I'll have a brief walk then I'll pack an extra raincoat, it's really light so doesn't add any weight to my bag anyway! When I walk with my raincoat covering my big tote it sort of looks like I have a toddler under there lol.

Also, there is this one lady in Hong Kong I believe, her name is Jamie and she has an enormous Birkin collection. I once saw a picture of her walking in the rain with a clear plastic cover over her purse, it almost looked like it was specifically designed for her purse. Anyway, I'm scouring the internet to find something like this, it would be great to have, though my raincoat trick (if you can even call it that) seems to suffice. :smile:

Had to come back and give a more obvious reply that I just thought of: you could wear a raincoat with your purse underneath it. Lol, this is more logical than having a separate raincoat for your purse, but my bags are usually big and wouldn't fit lol. I'd totally do this with a smaller bag though!

Hi everyone :smile: Long-time lurker, first time poster.
This isn't rain, but it does involve water. My little calf MBMJ was in need of a clean, and I used some detergent but...soaked the bag. For about 5-10 minutes. A couple days later, the leather is still stiff and swollen, so I guess it's like being caught in the worst rainstorm possible? Does anybody have advice for -after- your bag gets wet?

Hi everyone :smile: Long-time lurker, first time poster.
This isn't rain, but it does involve water. My little calf MBMJ was in need of a clean, and I used some detergent but...soaked the bag. For about 5-10 minutes. A couple days later, the leather is still stiff and swollen, so I guess it's like being caught in the worst rainstorm possible? Does anybody have advice for -after- your bag gets wet?

Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize. Get the best conditioner/moisturizer that you deem acceptable and moisturize the heck out of it and hopefully it'll return to normal. Also, in the future, I won't recommend soaking your leather bags at all, not even just for a short time. A good leather cleaner should be sufficient for a cleaning job.

I use collonil waterstop spray & leather gel.
Also switch to goat leather clutch wallet on chain, which fits beneath raincoat, in horrible storm periods.
I carry a large, polyester scarf inside bigger bags--in its own lined pouch--to use as shield in unexpected drizzle or blowing rain. Poly dries quickly.

Since seeing the excellent tote idea, above, I tried it. Works well, plus keeps dirt/mud off bags.
Better in stronger rain/wind than scarf--but, couldn't loop tote around my neck to dry, once indoors. :smile:

Traveling into rough climate, I use nylon crossbody bag--still sprayed with waterstop. Tolerates about anything, except fire.

Hope this helps.

I don't typically wear my nice bags in the rain. But if I'm ever stuck in a surprising rain storm (I live in New England- you never know what you're going to get for weather here) I'll be OK. I spray all my leather bags with leather protector. They work so well!

New poster here! After a trip to D.C. last week, I found out my purse scarf had a double use to drape over my light tan leather coach bag's top in a mist. I tied it from handle to handle on my sling back. It wouldn't work in a downpour. I would have put it under my jacket for that!

I have a few bags that I use specifically for the rain, mostly damier & epi
I've been venturing with a 5 year old Bvlgari bag in the rain & it actually repels rain better than I expected! I am not brave enough to spray water proofing products on my bag...yet