Dealing With Fakes As Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alba109

Rasta Fanatic
Dec 8, 2010
Hey ladies; I know this is taboo subject but I have a little situation.

One of my best friends who lives away knows about my purse obsession and how I lust over Louis Vuitton, particularly the Speedy. My birthday was last week and texted me a lot saying that I had a really special present on the way from her. She works a minimum wage job and has a really hard time making end meet (she lives in a very expensive city with obscene rent pricing) She definitely doesn't have money to throw around, so the fact that she spent money on me for my birthday means a lot to me, and I know she must really tightened her purse strings for that particular week or whenever she bought it.

So the package arrives today and I discover inside that it's an AZUR SPEEDY 35. I really couldn't believe it!! I unzip it to see the interior and I discover that it has a zipper pull on the inner pocket, so it's clearly a fake.

The fact that she's struggling to pay her rent every week and dealing with all kinds of unexpected expenses, and still found the money to give me a luxury item as a birthday gift means the world to me. I'm going to see her at the end of the summer and I really want to carry the Speedy and show her how much I love and appreciate it. Plus, I REALLY like the bag. It's such an ideal size and the print is gorgeous and it looks so damn good on me!

I know it's a fake item, but quite frankly her feeling are more important to me than the chance of someone else noticing that my bag is fake. And even so, why does it matter what other people think about my bag? I like it and I know that it will make her happy to see that I like it.

What are everybody's thoughts? How have you dealt with these situations?

why does it matter what other people think about my bag? I like it and I know that it will make her happy to see that I like it.

There are several threads in the forum already about this situation, so perhaps they can give you ideas. I just want to say this is anti-fakes forum, where people are not rewarded for carrying fakes whether from friends or the corner criminal. There are also threads on the whole issue.

I second jellyv's comments.

You appear to have already made up your mind on this - and rather strongly - so why ask for other people's views on a forum that has a lot of anti-fake sentiment? (unless you're hoping for a few supporters to rally around and make you feel better about your decision or are a closet masochist).

Either way, I don't predict this will go too well. Who knows? Maybe I'll be wrong.

just in case, though ... ~ scurries away ~

Hey ladies; I know this is taboo subject but I have a little situation.

One of my best friends who lives away knows about my purse obsession and how I lust over Louis Vuitton, particularly the Speedy. My birthday was last week and texted me a lot saying that I had a really special present on the way from her. She works a minimum wage job and has a really hard time making end meet (she lives in a very expensive city with obscene rent pricing) She definitely doesn't have money to throw around, so the fact that she spent money on me for my birthday means a lot to me, and I know she must really tightened her purse strings for that particular week or whenever she bought it.

So the package arrives today and I discover inside that it's an AZUR SPEEDY 35. I really couldn't believe it!! I unzip it to see the interior and I discover that it has a zipper pull on the inner pocket, so it's clearly a fake.

The fact that she's struggling to pay her rent every week and dealing with all kinds of unexpected expenses, and still found the money to give me a luxury item as a birthday gift means the world to me. I'm going to see her at the end of the summer and I really want to carry the Speedy and show her how much I love and appreciate it. Plus, I REALLY like the bag. It's such an ideal size and the print is gorgeous and it looks so damn good on me!

I know it's a fake item, but quite frankly her feeling are more important to me than the chance of someone else noticing that my bag is fake. And even so, why does it matter what other people think about my bag? I like it and I know that it will make her happy to see that I like it.

What are everybody's thoughts? How have you dealt with these situations?
i would not hurt my friend's feelings!!! how nice of her to buy you a present when she is struggling!!! keep it and use it when she sees you!!! that way she will be happy and if you like it... then you will be happy too!!!;) life is to short to worry about what other people think! who cares if they know it's a fake... as long as you know and you don't mind.... then go for it!!!( and YES this is just my opinion!;))

...and the print is gorgeous and it looks so damn good on me!

I assure you, it does NOT look "damn good" on anyone. At least to people who know and love the brand will recognize you're a 'counterfeits girl' nearly immediately. I would be worried she spent authentic money on a fake bag, she may have been swindled. I would let her know in no uncertain terms that you are SO grateful she would do this for you! And that you just wanted to be sure she knew it was a replica and she didn't spend a large amount on it. And keep it in the house for when she visits if you must, if it has sentimental value. But she needs to know, so she doesn't blow another huge chunk of cash on something like this again in the future, thinking you adored the gift and that it was authentic. Just my 2 cents.

lshcat said:
I assure you, it does NOT look "damn good" on anyone. At least to people who know and love the brand will recognize you're a 'counterfeits girl' nearly immediately. I would be worried she spent authentic money on a fake bag, she may have been swindled. I would let her know in no uncertain terms that you are SO grateful she would do this for you! And that you just wanted to be sure she knew it was a replica and she didn't spend a large amount on it. And keep it in the house for when she visits if you must, if it has sentimental value. But she needs to know, so she doesn't blow another huge chunk of cash on something like this again in the future, thinking you adored the gift and that it was authentic. Just my 2 cents.

I agree w this. It doesn't look "damn good" cuz you can tell its fake. (at least I can). And I never want to contribute AND condone to something that is illegal.

Having said that, you should keep it and eventually when time is right, explain to your friend how you feel about fakes but love her for her gesture.

I think you are an extremely mature person and gracious friend.

There are more important crisises in the world to get worked up about than a fake handbag. The anti-fakers have VERY strong opinions and IMO, forcing them down another person's throat is equivalent to the rude and hurtful comments people make about their authentic LV's (lots of threads on that issue too).

I think you are an extremely mature person and gracious friend.

There are more important crisises in the world to get worked up about than a fake handbag. The anti-fakers have VERY strong opinions and IMO, forcing them down another person's throat is equivalent to the rude and hurtful comments people make about their authentic LV's (lots of threads on that issue too).
perfectly said!!!!

Any fake, anytime, anywhere, is clearly wrong. Moreover, it is a crime.

I can understand not wanting to hurt your friend's feelings, but am wondering how anyone who claims to be a friend would gift a fake? You state that she gave you a luxury item, a fake is NOT a luxury item - it is counterfeit goods.

Also, I do understand not having a lot of money; in that case, why not gift a LV voucher for the sum one can afford? Other vouchers can be added over time (also by other friends/family) and would it not be better and more satisfying to purchase the 'real deal' at the end of the day?

I agree with the TPFers who posted that they place friendship above all, I do too... thus would never brand a friend 'counterfeit girl'.

In a world where you can see some kind of fake on every corner it s more important not to hurt your friends feelings. It s only a bag and nothing horrible will happen if you take it when meeting her.
i wouldn t ask her if she s aware of it being replica because it will make her feel uncomfortable and you don t want it...

Status
Not open for further replies.