Dealing With Fakes As Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm this is a sticky subject. I truly think this was a gift from the friend's heart. As others said everyone doesn't know the truth about counterfeits. OP I would only carry the bag when you and the friend hang out. I don't think this is something to possibly hurt your friend's feeling over.

I have been in a similar situation, but I was given a Coach wristlet from my grandmother. I informed her that it was a counterfeit item(she didn't realize & the price didn't ring an alarm b/c it wasn't too much less than Coach wallets that I had purchased from the outlets). She completely understood when I decided not to wear it.

i agree that friendship is more important than a bag and i also think that you can keep it if you like it, and wear it with your friend or whenever you want.

BUT i do think that you have to tell your friend it is a fake, in a very kind way, of course, but she needs to know in order to not make the same mistake in the future.
She paid for a bag that she thought was an authentic LV.
You need to be very carefull not to hurt her feelings but i think it's better if she knows.

In Italy it is illegal also to BUY a fake.If they catch you buying fake items, the fine is 3000 euro. As to say the same price as 6 Speedies!

roey is right.
People first, things second.
I just had the same situation occur last week and there is a thread here. Unfortunately my gift is a poor replica of the Eclipse. I will carry it when I see my friend and thank her for her love and generosity. The purse is a symbol of the relationship, and I will not insult her or have her efforts belittled. I know the difference between a replica and an authentic LV, but not everyone does, or even cares. We on this forum, are a small group of this big world. The fact that we can purchase these luxury items should not "entitle" us to look down on those who do not understand the difference and can never afford an authentic item. Just my 2cents.

To me, the answer really depends on the level of friendship. For example, my sister is, next to my husband, my best friend. If she gifted me a fake, she would not be offended at all by my letting her know as she would feel angry that she was sold a fake and would never intentionally purchase a fake. Telling the truth in love is the right thing to do. Not wearing the bag is also the right thing to do.

Also, any friend of mine would know enough simply from our conversations about LV to know where and where not to purchase such items and that counterfeits are rampant. She would most certainly visit an LV store or the official website.

ETA: however if this were a lukewarm friend or acquaintance, my answer would differ. I would not say anything but also not keep the bag. She wouldnt notice anyway.

Hopefully that will change in the future! NYC recently had legislature proposed that would fine buyers of illegal goods. That law is already in place in Italy, and France is considering adding it. And it is illegal in many countries to even bring a counterfeit item through customs! So that fake bag may end up costing more than bargained for.

That's good to know! I always thought it was weird that there wasn't more of a crackdown on counterfeits. It's a shame that it's such a HUGE industry :/

Status
Not open for further replies.