DB AWL 3.0

these are the 2 vintage awl satchels i have. one on left is from etsy & one on right is from antique store. they’re from early 1990’s i think. the one on left is in better condition than the one on right but i don’t know why the leather on duck emblem is darker since that one was described as sitting in closet for 30+ yrs. also i wonder how the new awl compares to these 90’s ones.

Attachments

• IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 4
you’re not alone. i wonder the same things. i’m currently very curious about the 3.0 awl since i recently got a couple vintage doonies. the texture of my vintage ones are very pebbled & thick. i wish i could compare it to a newer awl. maybe in a couple months. i’m on a bag ban for now & not close to any stores that carry dooney & bourke.
The original AWL texture was produced by shrinking the leather. The process made
it thicker, denser, and water resistant. And of course, the bags were heavier because
there was more 'leather' per inch. I haven't seen anything to indicate they
still use the same proces to create the AWL 2.0 and 3.0 collections. I don't know
how the pebbling in the newer collections is created. They say the process
results in a lighter leather. Maybe they start with a thinner and
lighter piece of leather and then use a similar shrinkage process? Maybe something
totally different.
A lighter weight handbag is probably a very desirable characteristic. The original
AWL handbags were very heavy.

Last edited:
Reactions: chi_mommy9
The original AWL texture was produced by shrinking the leather. The process made
it thicker, denser, and water resistant. And of course, the bags were heavier because
there was more 'leather' per inch. I haven't seen anything to indicate they
still use the same proces to create the AWL 2.0 and 3.0 collections. I don't know
how the pebbling in the newer collections is created. They say the process
results in a lighter leather. Maybe they start with a thinner and
lighter piece of leather and then use a similar shrinkage process? Maybe something
totally different.
A lighter weight handbag is probably a very desirable characteristic. The original
AWL handbags were very heavy.
that makes sense. using a thinner leather piece to make the newer ones lighter. from what i read, d & b claims to use the same italian leather tannery they used from the org awl..i hope that’s true & not just marketing. esp for the price point. i hope one day tanner leatherstein or anyone who makes videos on yt does a video comparison with awl dooney and bourkes of the past & today. that would be so helpful & great!

that makes sense. using a thinner leather piece to make the newer ones lighter. from what i read, d & b claims to use the same italian leather tannery they used from the org awl..i hope that’s true & not just marketing. esp for the price point. i hope one day tanner leatherstein or anyone who makes videos on yt does a video comparison with awl dooney and bourkes of the past & today. that would be so helpful & great!
It would be interesting. But in order to be really helpful, we would have to
know exactly which bags were being analyzed. We all know that most brands
have different collections with different leather qualities and treatments.
Not all Dooneys are Florentine, but not all Dooneys are coated leather either.
There is a vast difference in quality. But reviews of a random handbag by
any manufacturer can be misleading and unfair. Coach makes some excellent
handbags, but not all Coach bags are excellent. Same is probably true of every
other manufacturer. And these assessment would differ regarding leather and
construction and overall quality too. And yes, we know that the price of a handbag
is not just the cost of the materials and basic manufacturing.

Does anyone know if Dooney is planning to restock all the colors of the AWL 3.0 satchel? I purchased the bone but have been waiting for them to restock the green.
YES!!!! The green is back in stock! It's 30% off right now.

By the way, how do you like the bag?

Last edited:
you’re not alone. i wonder the same things. i’m currently very curious about the 3.0 awl since i recently got a couple vintage doonies. the texture of my vintage ones are very pebbled & thick. i wish i could compare it to a newer awl. maybe in a couple months. i’m on a bag ban for now & not close to any stores that carry dooney & bourke.
i recently got in a pebble grain satchel, and while i like it, it does not compare to my AWL satchel (R28). you're absolutely correct, the leather on these awl bags are so thick, as well as being sturdy. i am curious how the 3.0 compares.

these are the 2 vintage awl satchels i have. one on left is from etsy & one on right is from antique store. they’re from early 1990’s i think. the one on left is in better condition than the one on right but i don’t know why the leather on duck emblem is darker since that one was described as sitting in closet for 30+ yrs. also i wonder how the new awl compares to these 90’s ones.
i wonder if the darkening is from a leather conditioner / leather oil the previous seller used on it. i've used weiman's leather wipes, and you have to be very light handed when using it on a bag, or the excess oil in the wipe will do funny things.

regarding tanner - he did a video deconstructing an alto and ostrich bag, he liked the brand. a lot have been asking him to cut up a flo satchel, i haven't seen him do that yet.

but a while back, tanner did a video comparing vintage coach to new coach, and he said he preferred new coach, because vintage coach was limited in the types of designs they could produce because of advances in tech. well of course, but a lot of us in the comments were like .... um vintage coach is way better leather. new coach designs are great, but nothing compares to the vintage bags. i typically like his videos, this one threw me off.

in fact, he's done a lot of coach videos, i'm now wondering if he gets kickbacks...

i recently got in a pebble grain satchel, and while i like it, it does not compare to my AWL satchel (R28). you're absolutely correct, the leather on these awl bags are so thick, as well as being sturdy. i am curious how the 3.0 compares.

i wonder if the darkening is from a leather conditioner / leather oil the previous seller used on it. i've used weiman's leather wipes, and you have to be very light handed when using it on a bag, or the excess oil in the wipe will do funny things.

regarding tanner - he did a video deconstructing an alto and ostrich bag, he liked the brand. a lot have been asking him to cut up a flo satchel, i haven't seen him do that yet.

but a while back, tanner did a video comparing vintage coach to new coach, and he said he preferred new coach, because vintage coach was limited in the types of designs they could produce because of advances in tech. well of course, but a lot of us in the comments were like .... um vintage coach is way better leather. new coach designs are great, but nothing compares to the vintage bags. i typically like his videos, this one threw me off.

in fact, he's done a lot of coach videos, i'm now wondering if he gets kickbacks...
Apparently, there are several different arrangements companies can have with
YT creators. And the algorithm's for success on YT include many factors, including
views. So even something as simple as 'free' product, to review and comment on
can 'influence' a YT creator. More product means more content and more views.
Maybe even more subscribers. Maybe even other/more derails with companies.
I'm not saying that is what is going on with any one YT creator..... just that
we only get to see what is put online and don't have all the background info.

As a handbag collector, I find that unless one really knows a brand, it's very
easy to form an impression based on limited info that we might see on YT or elsewhere.
The videos may or may not make clear the product positioning of what is being
reviewed, so even if the reviewer does a thorough job, a casual viewer comes
away thinking that is a representation of the brand... rather than of the
specific collection/style/leather. This happens even when you buy a handbag
in a brand.... we tend to think what we have is representative of the entire brand.
And isn't that what brand name and advertising is all about!

Reactions: mushroomNgrass

oh good point about the seller maybe conditioning bag! hadn’t thought of that, and maybe so. the antique one was sitting untouched in vendor’s booth in glass case for years & it was super dusty when i got it.

i missed tanner’s coach on coach! i will have to look for that video.
that is odd, about his preference for the newer coach. i did see the alto & ostrich comparison & immediately was wishing for awl comparison lol.