Dateline NBC w/ octuplets' mom

afsweet

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
will anyone be watching this tonight? it's on at 10 pm ET on NBC. i didn't get a chance to watch the Today Show yesterday morning since i had class, but i'm curious how she'll answer all the questions about this controversy.

It's been stated in the local news/media that she's planning to support her 14 children via student loans while she enrolls in and pursues a Masters degree :confused1: Also, it's been discovered that she's been receiving a monthly allowance of $490 in food stamps and other aid for the 2 - 3 children with disabilities. I honestly don't know how she's going to support 14 kids on her own, even with a Master's degree. Is she planning to continue living with her parents for the rest of her life? I really feel for her parents as it seems that they're somewhat "stuck" with helping her support the children.

I'm saddened and sickened by the whole story. So many of my friends don't/can't have kids and don't have access to a Hollywood fertility doctor so they might someday have one...while this apparently openly mentally ill woman has had herself impregnated with another eight. She can't take care of her 2,3, 4,5,6 and 7 year old kids already...three of whom are special needs and now her poor mother and father who have been taking care of the entire brood already look like they are ready to kick the bucket. I think this is a case for the California Dept of Human Services. Time to step in...not like the state isn't gonna be supporting them anyways. She is already a welfare recipient and now this will surely sipon alot of funds out of the system.

i heard on the radio that she told ann curry she wanted to have so many kids because she was an only child and was lonely. i'm confused by her also, and i think she should have been grateful for the 6 kids she already had. i feel for the people who would be happy just to have 1, and i truly don't believe she'll be able to provide the best life possible (not just financially) for ALL her children.

It's sad, especially since she claims to have spent about $100K for the fertility treatments. Why couldn't she just have used that money instead to provide a better life for her existing children and their future? Her parents should have put their foot down and forced her to go to counseling sessions instead of just standing aside and letting her continue to have child after child, knowing full well that she had no means to financially and emotionally support the children.

i'm watching right now, and she just said something about what makes a husband and wife have children or 18 children. anyone think that may be a hint to the Duggar family? maybe she wants so many kids for either fame or so her kids can basically work for her. if you ever watch the Duggars show, the kids do practically all the housework...

she may see a family with so many kids and that may make her think hey i can do that too...

This is blatant irrespnsible motherhood - I find it outrageous - I raised 4 children, one of them developmentally disabled by myself and it was extraordinarily difficult. I consider 14 children, 1 mother to be an act of insane selfishness and the children will suffer terribly, even if they have food, clothing and shelter. Children need so much more than that. This woman is dreadfully disturbed and in dire need of intense therapy - but unfortunately it is too late for these babies.

I read somewhere today that she made the statement that she is planning on raising her children (all 14 of them) on student loans. Apparently, she'll be trying to obtain those soon.

Nice going..... :rolleyes:

Instead of going home to her other 6 children after her release from the hospital, she makes a bee line to the nearest news media to "sell her story" to the highest bidder.

Mother of the Year? :cursing:

I read somewhere today that she made the statement that she is planning on raising her children (all 14 of them) on student loans. Apparently, she'll be trying to obtain those soon.

Nice going..... :rolleyes:

Instead of going home to her other 6 children after her release from the hospital, she makes a bee line to the nearest news media to "sell her story" to the highest bidder.

Mother of the Year? :cursing:

Doesn't this dipsh*t realize you have to pay back student loans? It's not free money! Raising kids gets more expensive as the kids get older. So if she can't afford to take care of them ON HER OWN right now, WTF is she going to do when she has to pay back the loans AND raise children? PLUS, there's a maximum that you can get! What's she going to do when she caps out? (And raising 14 children, some with special needs, she'll max out in what, a year?)

Oh God, before these eight she already has six children between the ages of 2 and seven. So now she has 14 kids under seven and she is a single mom!! Managing 14 kids is certainly not easy. All the best to the mother of Octuplets!

Last edited:
This woman is out of her mind. She won't admit to any plastic surgery even though her nose and lips look quite different from her childhood photo. What single mom with 14 kids has botox money anyway? She won't admit to any financial help until she is pressed then she justfies it away but explaining it is only temporary and she really doesn't want to be on it. Like that doesn't count??!! I have a feeling many people on goverment assistance start out as "only temporary" with good intentions.

She says she has run out of money from her student loans and has $50,000 in debt - but justifies that that isn't taking money either b/c she plans to pay them back when she gets a job however she has no money left to finish school.

she also plans to take care of the children with volunteers. That sounds safe. Just what every parent who ends up in the national media should do. Let strangers into her home to take care of her kids. I feel sorry for her but more so for the children.

This woman is out of her mind. She won't admit to any plastic surgery even though her nose and lips look quite different from her childhood photo. What single mom with 14 kids has botox money anyway? She won't admit to any financial help until she is pressed then she justfies it away but explaining it is only temporary and she really doesn't want to be on it. Like that doesn't count??!! I have a feeling many people on goverment assistance start out as "only temporary" with good intentions.

She says she has run out of money from her student loans and has $50,000 in debt - but justifies that that isn't taking money either b/c she plans to pay them back when she gets a job however she has no money left to finish school.

she also plans to take care of the children with volunteers. That sounds safe. Just what every parent who ends up in the national media should do. Let strangers into her home to take care of her kids. I feel sorry for her but more so for the children.

She IS insane. THere is no real way to deal with this. If there is not going to be a dad around... then there would need to be a TEAM of single moms... one for every 2 kids.

At least people who have, say, ten kids, by the time the tenth one is born, the first one is probably old enough to help out, if not the first few. Even that I don't totally agree with. But still.... All these multiples are going to need some serious attention.

And the money. *GROAN*... you have to obtain a permit to BUILD A FENCE AROUND YOUR OWN HOUSE. No! Two inches too high! But wait! You are not authorized to paint it this color! SORRY! By the way, you have to pay US forty dollars to do it yourself!!

But when it comes to these INSANE ppl doing irresponsible things involving giving birth to children, and totally living off of the government...... its anything goes, 'Knock yourself out, nutso lady. We'll pick up the tab!":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fine: reproductive rights! ok, got it. BUT AT LEAST DONT GIVE HER MONEY TO ENCOURAGE HER!

To think, my tax dollars are going to this whacked Angelina Jolie wannabe, who, even with MILLIONS of dollars couldn't possibly do right by these kids.

...she claims to have spent about $100K for the fertility treatments...
And in previous stories, she was quoted as saying that she was paid for the "treatments," and that is how she was able to go to school and take care of the kids as they occurred as a result of the various procedures.

I can understand the dilemma of the companies. If someone can afford to raise the multiple children that can occur from these treatments, then chances are that they will have little interest in being experimented on, and will be more likely to just go and do the paying themselves, for an already established procedure or drug or whatever.

That leaves the likely pool of human guinea-pigs-for-hire as those less likely to be able to afford the possible result of the experiments, and business is business, blah, blah, but I think at the very least this lady's case has the potential to inspire some dialogue.

This young woman seems to be very troubled, and more in need of help than demonization, some of the reaction to her tells us a lot about the culture, the society, as does the low likelihood that we will ever know what her real story is...

Doesn't this dipsh*t realize you have to pay back student loans? It's not free money! Raising kids gets more expensive as the kids get older. So if she can't afford to take care of them ON HER OWN right now, WTF is she going to do when she has to pay back the loans AND raise children? PLUS, there's a maximum that you can get! What's she going to do when she caps out? (And raising 14 children, some with special needs, she'll max out in what, a year?)

i guess she thinks that raising them on student loans is better than any of her other alternatives. if i remember correctly, student loans are considered to be "good" debt as opposed to credit card debt because you can write them off on your taxes, which is also why a lot of people don't rush to pay them back (it's better to pay off the other debts first). obviously, she can't raise these kids that way forever but maybe she was hoping she'd become famous, get government help, community volunteers and donations, and maybe even land a TV show like the Duggars or Gosselins. her morals are very different from theirs though...