Dated?

Assya

Sep 28, 2014
HI lovely ladies!
I've noticed how many of you think about some classic LV bags as "dated". Me too, guilty as charged, I do so sometimes.
Do you think the new Creative Director brings new era of style to LV? And we'll have to change our "purse wardrobe" in order to be "in vogue"? :thinking:
I'm a little concerned that about some bags which used to be "classic" and "timeless", someone can tell that they are "dated" now. That's because I always thought about LV bags as an investment, and that I splurge on a bag which will be in use years and years. And now I'm not sure should I buy "older" styles or I should wait for new ones?
I know that we should buy and carry what we want, but let's be honest: the feeling "I carry a nice bag, guys" is part of the fun.

Hope my English is not too bad and you get what I mean...:shame:

HI lovely ladies!
I've noticed how many of you think about some classic LV bags as "dated". Me too, guilty as charged, I do so sometimes.
Do you think the new Creative Director brings new era of style to LV? And we'll have to change our "purse wardrobe" in order to be "in vogue"? :thinking:
I'm a little concerned that about some bags which used to be "classic" and "timeless", someone can tell that they are "dated" now. That's because I always thought about LV bags as an investment, and that I splurge on a bag which will be in use years and years. And now I'm not sure should I buy "older" styles or I should wait for new ones?
I know that we should buy and carry what we want, but let's be honest: the feeling "I carry a nice bag, guys" is part of the fun.

Hope my English is not too bad and you get what I mean...:shame:

Your English is very good! I think it's inevitable that a new creative director brings a new era of style - and it's a good thing, although it takes time to get used to it. (I still miss MJ although I'm starting to like what NG brings to the table also.)
But I don't think we need to change our purse wardrobe because of it. Trends come and go but classic styles will always be classic (like the speedy and alma, for example).

I too believe classics will remain classic. You can't " replace" the original Speedy or Alma styles. They are iconic and will forever be regarded as classic handbags. They represent ladylike elegance. I feel my collection is complete if it contains both classic and newer styles. I like a modern version of a shoulder bag or tote for my daily bag since it' s both fun and practical, but an iconic bag is more appropriate for other times. Buy what you love and let your personal style dictate what you carry.

Your English is very good!
Thank you!

I still miss MJ although I'm starting to like what NG brings to the table also.
I'm completely with you on it!

But I don't think we need to change our purse wardrobe because of it. Trends come and go but classic styles will always be classic (like the speedy and alma, for example).
You know, I saw a thread where folks said that Alma vernis looks dated to them! And there is a rumor that also LV wants to change smth in speedy's design :shucks:
and what about bags like Artsy or Delightfull? Which are popular but are not "classic"? (can't stop thinking whether I should get Arty or not)

I too believe classics will remain classic. You can't " replace" the original Speedy or Alma styles. They are iconic and will forever be regarded as classic handbags. They represent ladylike elegance. I feel my collection is complete if it contains both classic and newer styles. I like a modern version of a shoulder bag or tote for my daily bag since it' s both fun and practical, but an iconic bag is more appropriate for other times. Buy what you love and let your personal style dictate what you carry.

I see what you're talking about but.
Do you think speedy in empreinte or Alma in Epi are as classic as Mono ones? If one could say so.

I think it depends on the specific style of the bag. I kind of feel the ones with the big vachetta bows are a bit dated but for the most part (and I am a LV newbie) all of them are beautiful in my opinion and when I see a woman with an LV bag now, I always ask about it and strike up a conversation about it and am interested to find that they are just LV 'head over hills'.

It's not always a good thing to buy 'what's hot now'. I try to stay away from trendy items now because I was 'bit in the patooty' for keeping up with trends when that whole Fendi Spy Bag error was hot. Also, I bit the bullet again back in 2012 and bought the Celine Luggage and now I am having big time buyers remorse. With that, trendy bags are NO longer my thing!! It's a big waste of money and if you try to sell/consign, the ROI is terrible.

All in all, I think most LV bags will stand the test of time especially the Speedy. And although, I have just acquired my mini LV collection within the last few months, I will NOT be changing my LV wardrobe, I just buy what I love. :biggrin:

I try to stay away from trendy items now because I was 'bit in the patooty' for keeping up with trends when that whole Fendi Spy Bag error was hot. Also, I bit the bullet again back in 2012 and bought the Celine Luggage and now I am having big time buyers remorse.

can you tell me nore about this fendi bag? I know nothing about it (but I never was into Fendi)

and what does ROI means?

do you think Artsy will look dated soon? see it on you wishlist and I'm debating with myself on(?) it for a long time
and one newer style that I like, the Montaigne, will it be in style for a long time?

your comments, ladies, make me thinking about Alma and Speedy (never thought about them before)...

I see what you're talking about but.
Do you think speedy in empreinte or Alma in Epi are as classic as Mono ones? If one could say so.
I think those are absolutely gorgeous, stunning bag choices and I do still consider them "classic" if they are in a classic /neutral color. The newer shades are maybe "modern classics" . You have a style that has stood the test of time, but a color that reflects your personal style. There's no "wrong" choice here.

I always loved bags. Bags are my favorite accessories. However, I have never cared about my bags being dated like trendy clothes. Dated bags, for me, are when I no longer want to carry them. I can carry the same bag for years and be happy with it. I go in and out of love for handbag shopping. The Artsy is not trendy to me because I won't be embarrassed to carry it twenty years from now. Bags with a lot of embellishments are "trendy", but bags no longer made does not mean trendy to me. Oh, I love vintage and antique items, so "dated" and "not in vogue" does not mean much to my style.

Last edited:
I like your thread. Sure NG brings new ideas to LV philosophy, I consider his models too raw though they are feminine. MJ´s models were cute and I liked them a lot! Though I like some models by NG too - Dora, Twist, Doc BB...
I remember you answered in my thread about Altair - and here we are: some of the "cute" models might be dated thanks to the different new fresh air that NG is bringing.
E.g. Mahina bags - I bought Mahina XS a year and half ago on Ebay. I loved how soft and smooth the leather is, I loved the shape, the opition with long strap, the fact that logos were not so visible - BUT: everyone told me how ugly and dated bag I bought! I didn´t enjoy wearing this bag though I liked her... I know everyone says "buy what you love, it will be you who will carry it", but who wants to carry a bag that everyone else finds ugly.... I ended up selling her.
This is what led me to start the thread about Altair. I know that Alma and Speedy will be classics in any pattern, but how about other bags? I have no worries about Artsy, it is becoming a classic too, IMO. But others... Who knows....

Classic bags don't often have busy details. Stick to the simple and practical styles and you won't have to worry. Bags that have stood the test of time like the speedy or alma, I would not worry. Intricate, elegant Artsy is a clean hobo style, which, if you find working for you, will be a head turner even if it is discontinued.
Many times I had to constrain myself from buying 'cute' bags 'cool' bags lol and I am glad I did

I like your thread. Sure NG brings new ideas to LV philosophy, I consider his models too raw though they are feminine. MJ´s models were cute and I liked them a lot! Though I like some models by NG too - Dora, Twist, Doc BB...
I remember you answered in my thread about Altair - and here we are: some of the "cute" models might be dated thanks to the different new fresh air that NG is bringing.
Thanks! Your thread among others has inspired mine:biggrin: I haven't expected someone to think of such a lovely bag as Altair as "dated"!

E.g. Mahina bags - I bought Mahina XS a year and half ago on Ebay. I loved how soft and smooth the leather is, I loved the shape, the opition with long strap, the fact that logos were not so visible - BUT: everyone told me how ugly and dated bag I bought! I didn´t enjoy wearing this bag though I liked her... I know everyone says "buy what you love, it will be you who will carry it", but who wants to carry a bag that everyone else finds ugly.... I ended up selling her. This is what led me to start the thread about Altair.
Totally agree. And about Mahina - that's strange to me that they were not popular...

I know that Alma and Speedy will be classics in any pattern, but how about other bags? I have no worries about Artsy, it is becoming a classic too, IMO. But others... Who knows....
I saw a thread where several people told that they thought Alma Vernis is dated! so you'll never know what people think....

I always loved bags. Bags are my favorite accessories. However, I have never cared about my bags being dated like trendy clothes. Dated bags, for me, are when I no longer want to carry them. I can carry the same bag for years and be happy with it. I go in and out of love for handbag shopping. The Artsy is not trendy to me because I won't be embarrassed to carry it twenty years from now. Bags with a lot of embellishments are "trendy", but bags no longer made does not mean trendy to me.

+1. Who gets to determine whether a bag is dated? I don't let others opinions validate me. I have a Vavin pm that I love to carry. Popular bag it is not, but I am happy when I carry her out for lunch or to get a mani pedi. A woman told me once I did not know anyone still used that bag anymore, how dated. I responded by telling her that Kim Kardashian was seen carrying one. She then flipped the script on me. The conversation turned into do you think I can find a preowned on e-bay. Little did she know Kim was not seen with this bag. Using the principle of purchasing what you like and forget about what other think will help you to enjoy your hand bag collection to the fullest. :smile:

can you tell me nore about this fendi bag? I know nothing about it (but I never was into Fendi)

and what does ROI means?

do you think Artsy will look dated soon? see it on you wishlist and I'm debating with myself on(?) it for a long time
and one newer style that I like, the Montaigne, will it be in style for a long time?

your comments, ladies, make me thinking about Alma and Speedy (never thought about them before)...

The Fendi Spy bag was popular back in the mid 2000’s and had a large followingdue to its unique shape and compartments. It soon lost popularity maybe a year or two later, IMHO, and wasn’ttalked about or carried as much by the ‘celebrities’ so to speak.

ROI = Return on Investment :smile:

I think the Artsy is here to stay. It may not be as classic as the Speedy but I don’t see it going anywhereanytime soon. One thing I notice aboutLV bags is that they are very hot on the ‘pre-loved’ market and plenty ofpeople buy older model versions and still love them today as if they were newmodels. I am a new LV lover and most ofmine’s are older models except for the Neverfull and they still look beautifuland are worthy of carrying but again, that is just my opinion. I am a new LV lover so my opinions may not beas valued as some of the veteran LV lovers. I really love Hermes (very small collection) and am an avid Chanel loveras well. ;)

I always loved bags. Bags are my favorite accessories. However, I have never cared about my bags being dated like trendy clothes. Dated bags, for me, are when I no longer want to carry them. I can carry the same bag for years and be happy with it. I go in and out of love for handbag shopping. The Artsy is not trendy to me because I won't be embarrassed to carry it twenty years from now. Bags with a lot of embellishments are "trendy", but bags no longer made does not mean trendy to me. Oh, I love vintage and antique items, so "dated" and "not in vogue" does not mean much to my style.

Here Here!!! ;)