Dated bags

cocokitty

Aug 3, 2009
I was just thinking there's certain bags I have liked, but passed on because they looked dated to me. Do you think certain bags look dated? Which ones?

Personally, I think a lot of LV LE bags look dated. Like when I think of the MC lines and the Cherry Blossom, both of which I loved at the time but didn't buy, I think that's so 2003. Also, spy bags seem dated to me. I guess, because they had a lot of exposure. That's all I can think of for now.

Yes some do to me too, but I don't really want to say which (I think) they are because a) I don't want to insult people owning them and b) what seem dated in one area of the World may be all the rage in another.

Whereas some bags date, others like the LVs Takashi Murakami's superflat mono sill look absolutely wonderful to me and I would be only pleased to buy one now even for full retail price

I have just bought a large black leather Dior saddle (not Gaucho). I always wanted one and because everyone thiks they are so totally 'out' I bought it for a steal so fashion's backlash can work out in one's favour ;)

True..I am with you on the LV and the Spy ones. I also think Chloé paddingtons. However, I still like them and would probably get one(paddy) if I could.

True..I am with you on the LV and the Spy ones. I also think Chloé paddingtons. However, I still like them and would probably get one(paddy) if I could.

Oh, I agree. A dated bag can still be beautiful and much wanted. I don't think how I mean dated is coming off right. Like let's say you have a Chanel flap or a LV speedy, if I saw those I wouldn't know if they were from 1989 or 2009. It's just so timeless. Where as paddingtongs may make me think of I don't know 2006 for example. Still nice, but more like you know when it came out. However, for a bad to be as I call dated it really has to make a statement, which is a good thing imo.

Yes some do to me too, but I don't really want to say which (I think) they are because a) I don't want to insult people owning them and b) what seem dated in one area of the World may be all the rage in another.

Whereas some bags date, others like the LVs Takashi Murakami's superflat mono sill look absolutely wonderful to me and I would be only pleased to buy one now even for full retail price

I have just bought a large black leather Dior saddle (not Gaucho). I always wanted one and because everyone thiks they are so totally 'out' I bought it for a steal so fashion's backlash can work out in one's favour ;)

:sad: I hope I'm not being offensive. On your second part, that's true. Different cultures have different likes and dislikes. I'd also like to add, a bag might be dated to some because say they got engaged in 2004 and that's when they had said bag. So, when they see it, even on others, it's a 2004 bag.

There's a superflat mono? Never saw that one, but I'm sure it's fab! :yahoo:

True, I say buy what you want. I mean, everyone has a different opinion and lifestyle. Glad you got a good deal. :biggrin:

This is why I've stopped following trends when buying bags. Now I get whatever I think will work for me for the long term, but whatever HASN'T been hailed as an "it" type bag. Because what comes in style must go out of style. I stopped buying so many graphic print or monogram bags, and now I'm concentrating more on leather with minimal monogramming or labels.

:sad: I hope I'm not being offensive. On your second part, that's true. Different cultures have different likes and dislikes. I'd also like to add, a bag might be dated to some because say they got engaged in 2004 and that's when they had said bag. So, when they see it, even on others, it's a 2004 bag.

There's a superflat mono? Never saw that one, but I'm sure it's fab! :yahoo:

True, I say buy what you want. I mean, everyone has a different opinion and lifestyle. Glad you got a good deal. :biggrin:

I didn't find you offensive in the least. :biggrin:

I just wanted to avoid confrontations on particular bags, as examples would have only been IMO and I prefer to talk more generally about questions of handbag 'phillosophy' or use my own bags as examples.;)

This is why I've stopped following trends when buying bags. Now I get whatever I think will work for me for the long term, but whatever HASN'T been hailed as an "it" type bag. Because what comes in style must go out of style. I stopped buying so many graphic print or monogram bags, and now I'm concentrating more on leather with minimal monogramming or labels.

Your post made me think of something. I like it bags, because if they're it bags they're usually stylish or nice. Anyway, I tend to not buy them, though. I always wonder "Do I think because I like it or because I see it everywhere?" Maybe that's just an issue with me, though.

Personally, I think a lot of LV LE bags look dated. Like when I think of the MC lines and the Cherry Blossom, both of which I loved at the time but didn't buy, I think that's so 2003. Also, spy bags seem dated to me. I guess, because they had a lot of exposure. That's all I can think of for now.

I agree the Cherry Blossom's did date quicker than most LVs. I loved my Spy to death but a lot of copies came out and mine didn't seem as special, so I gave it to my mum! I love my Gucci indy tho, I can't imagine giving that one up (sorry, mum) but the only place I've seen one is on Serena Van Der Woodsen! My Chloe Paddy is still nice but lies in the closet most of the time, haven't given it away yet but don't use it as much as I should.

i agree that the lv murakami cherry blossoms do make me think of a specific year, but whenever i see someone carrying it, it still makes me smile. the print is adorable and it brings me back to how much i loved my papillon even though i've outgrown it.

I agree the Cherry Blossom's did date quicker than most LVs. I loved my Spy to death but a lot of copies came out and mine didn't seem as special, so I gave it to my mum! I love my Gucci indy tho, I can't imagine giving that one up (sorry, mum) but the only place I've seen one is on Serena Van Der Woodsen! My Chloe Paddy is still nice but lies in the closet most of the time, haven't given it away yet but don't use it as much as I should.

That's a big issue with me. If a bag becomes too trendy or just too many people have it, I tend to not like it anymore. I've never given any bags away, but there's come I have I don't wear anymore. Like I have a cerises pochette and I can't see myself wearing it again.

i agree that the lv murakami cherry blossoms do make me think of a specific year, but whenever i see someone carrying it, it still makes me smile. the print is adorable and it brings me back to how much i loved my papillon even though i've outgrown it.

That's a good way to put it. As I just said, I had a cerises pochette and I don't wear it anymore. Really, I can't see myself wearing it again. Perhaps, I've outgrown it as you said.