Date codes - bothersome?

Rituals83

Jan 8, 2019
Sorry if this has been repeated before but I was just wondering when you buy a bag do you check date codes? When I bought one the stitching was bit wonky on the 2019 bag, then in another 2019 bag the red of DE was showing through the leather bit on the bag. The third bag was fine and I ended up buying that and the date code shows 41st week of 2018. How little or a lot would this bother you?

I would just go for the bag that looks the best. It's nice to get the "newest" one when you can as there has probably been less people touching it, but at the end of the day it's not like a purse can "expire" so I don't think the production date really matters. I think getting a date code that is super recent is just a novelty thing for people in this forum lol.

So since it’s April of 2019 it would bother me. Doesn’t mean I would return it but it would make me pause for thought. The 41st week of 2018 is mid October. So my thought process would be it probably wasn’t available for purchase till mid November. Maybe it was purchased as a Christmas gift and held for a while. But, I would wonder where it had been kicking around for the last 4 months? If it has been bought and returned that many times (at least every 30 days) that would bother me because LV prices are a lot for me. I don’t want to pay full LV price for something that that many people have been trying out and using like it’s Walmart or something. If it was in perfect condition I would probably keep it. I would be totally over all the returns I had already done (you said you have returned 2 others). And If I did return this one, I would probably be done for good. I would be past the point of loving the bag and a bit over LV. When a bag turns into a project I’m usually done. I want my bags to be fun.

Reactions: blondiekinz
So, we are talking about a purse and not baguette bread, correct??? If so, it wouldn’t bother me at all when it was manufactured. Not every single item that LV manufactures can be be sold within a week or two. If the item looks flawless, then why does it matter when it was manufactured?! Just my opinion.

I would just go for the bag that looks the best. It's nice to get the "newest" one when you can as there has probably been less people touching it, but at the end of the day it's not like a purse can "expire" so I don't think the production date really matters. I think getting a date code that is super recent is just a novelty thing for people in this forum lol.

I totally agree with this. When I was buying Balenciaga, one would only know what season it was from, not an actual date. Even bags from the last season or older were purchased because of a certain color only produced for one season. Or the leather would be better from one season to another. If the bag looks good and not obviously "used," it wouldn't matter to me when it was produced.

This is obsessional, purely. It used to be typical that a bag would have a date code many months, or longer, prior to when you could buy it. (And pre internet, this wasn't even something customers knew about.) Only in very recent times has the timing shortened up between production date and store availability--obviously because they're churning it out now.

Last edited:
I have no idea when my LV was made. I haven’t looked. If you’ve bought personally from LV and you’re happy with your goods, why would you? I don’t get the fuss about this.

Reactions: jellyv
So since it’s April of 2019 it would bother me. Doesn’t mean I would return it but it would make me pause for thought. The 41st week of 2018 is mid October. So my thought process would be it probably wasn’t available for purchase till mid November. Maybe it was purchased as a Christmas gift and held for a while. But, I would wonder where it had been kicking around for the last 4 months? If it has been bought and returned that many times (at least every 30 days) that would bother me because LV prices are a lot for me. I don’t want to pay full LV price for something that that many people have been trying out and using like it’s Walmart or something. If it was in perfect condition I would probably keep it. I would be totally over all the returns I had already done (you said you have returned 2 others). And If I did return this one, I would probably be done for good. I would be past the point of loving the bag and a bit over LV. When a bag turns into a project I’m usually done. I want my bags to be fun.
Hi there, thanks for your input. I had not done two returns, those bags I spoke about were all shown to be in the store. The third one I got shown was the one I ended up buying and it looks all fine to me and was just curious on people’s thoughts on date codes that’s all. I did pause to think hmm it was October last year but it doesn’t bother me too much. In fact my son was born last year so I’ll enjoy it for the fact that it was around the same time my son was born. I didn’t know or pay attention to these details before discovering this forum recently to be haha! It’s interesting but I need to understand as someone said it’s not a baguette that expires so I’ll enjoy it to the fullest!

Reactions: LemonDrop
Sorry if this has been repeated before but I was just wondering when you buy a bag do you check date codes? When I bought one the stitching was bit wonky on the 2019 bag, then in another 2019 bag the red of DE was showing through the leather bit on the bag. The third bag was fine and I ended up buying that and the date code shows 41st week of 2018. How little or a lot would this bother you?

It might bother me a little but if the bag looked fresh and new, it would not bother me a lot. When ordering online, you cannot control where and when an item was made. Enjoy the bag.