Darn cat learned how to open doors!!!

la miss

parigote
May 4, 2007
He's been doing it for a while but now he's got the technique down to a science. I was just sitting here minding my own business when the cat walked by, turned and looked me in the face and then nonchalantly opened the door to my home office, strolled in and sat down to sun himself. Aaarrrgghhh he's supposed to stay out of my office! Now I can't even lock him out. And furthermore I don't really appreciate it when he mocks me by doing it right in my face. At night when I lock him out of the bedroom he waits until I fall asleep and then he lets himself in. Lovely waking up to a cat butt in your face. :nogood: /rant

LOL
our Noche knows how to work the handle to open the french door that goes outside...we keep it locked though...otherwise he could jump on it and let himself out
They are smart

Okay, first off:

...I was just sitting here minding my own business when the cat walked by, turned and looked me in the face and then nonchalantly opened the door...

:lolots: :lolots: :lolots:

This paragraph has me laughing so hard. It kills me that he turned to look at you, then opened the door, clearly out of spite. The feline equivalent of flipping the bird! I'm surprised he didn't actually say, "Watch this." This is totally something my own cats would do.

We have a pair of cats that are extremely resourceful, as someone else said. They tend to hang out in our bedroom and figured out some way to open the door to my husband's closet. We are still stumped by this, as it is a regular interior door with a turning knob that latches. We frequently find them in there relaxing on top of his shirts or something. They've also broken into his bathroom cabinets several times, usually in search of toys (i.e. my husband's shave brushes).

I had a dog that did that - I put slide bolt locks at the top of each door so I could prevent him from entering the room from the outside. You would have to put locks on each side of whatever door you need, so you have a choice to keep him out if you are in the room or out of the room. Just a thought.

Good idea, chessmont! We actually had to put a similar lock on the door to our guest bedroom. It is not a standard door and our pets can push it open. There's a metal piece that mounts to the door frame, and a piece that mounts onto the door with a little metal peg attached. You just slide the peg into the piece mounted on the door frame. Very simple and you can buy them quite small and unobtrusive. Just be sure to mount it high up on the door so your little breaking & entering masters can't reach it. :lol:

We have a whole wall of french doors at the back of our house. We recently had them screened and the only unobtrusive way to do this was to have retractable screens put on them, which run on tracks and meet and lock in the middle. They are quite fiddly to use - you have to pull on them as they slide, as they have a brake which grabs quite hard if you let them go. My elderly mother stayed with us last month and it took her about three days to learn how to use them! My cat Lily worked them by herself out on the day after installation!!

It is summer here in Australia at the moment and where I live the mosquitoes are quite bad. I will be in my office at the other end of the house wondering how all the bugs are getting in and when I go and look, the doors will be wide open with Lily just sitting there beside them! Quite often she doesn't even want to go out - she just likes to open them for fun!

My cat can open ALL doors in the house, including my mom's office, and he would walk in while my mom is with her clients. They usually scream and go "Oh my God is the kitty sick?!" or "What a cute chihuahua" Apparently they are not used to Sphynx cats.

Also, the cat learned how to reprogram and stop the dishwasher (!) while it's washing the dishes because he loves pushing the buttons on it.

Im seriously waiting when he'll learn how to open the fridge.

My cat can open ALL doors in the house, including my mom's office, and he would walk in while my mom is with her clients. They usually scream and go "Oh my God is the kitty sick?!" or "What a cute chihuahua" Apparently they are not used to Sphynx cats.

Also, the cat learned how to reprogram and stop the dishwasher (!) while it's washing the dishes because he loves pushing the buttons on it.

:lolots:

Just wait until he starts bidding on Ebay!

The other night I was in the bathroom and suddenly the doorknob started turning. I live in a big old scary house and it was LATE. I was scared. I quickly opened the door and it was my Maine Coon girl, Stevie, twisting the knob. I couldn't believe it. I thought of this thread. I really didn't think she was that smart. LOL