Darkened handles on a Barenia Birkin

chloechloe

Oct 28, 2008
Hi all,

I'm sure I've come across threads regarding darkened handles of birkins, but I can't seem to find them now. Can the darkened parts of barenia handles be improved upon? Does anyone know if handles can be replaced--if so, it is a lengthy waiting time? How much approx. would it be?

I hope some experts out there can help! Thanks in advance. :smile:

chloechloe

Once it darkens, it stays dark. That's the nature of a saddle leather. You might ask to have them replaced but barenia is very hard to come by and the colour and possibly even texture of the leather would be different from the body of the bag. Some people wrap the handles on a new(er) bag to prevent darkening but once it's there, it's there to stay.

Just curious - why did you buy a bag with this kind of leather if handles/marking are an issue for you?

Hi all,

I'm sure I've come across threads regarding darkened handles of birkins, but I can't seem to find them now. Can the darkened parts of barenia handles be improved upon? Does anyone know if handles can be replaced--if so, it is a lengthy waiting time? How much approx. would it be?

I hope some experts out there can help! Thanks in advance. :smile:

chloechloe

I am fairly certain that H can put the new handles on your Birkin with a little (or may be big) fee..........But wouldn't it look funny with the old body part?............just a thought................

I am fairly certain that H can put the new handles on your Birkin with a little (or may be big) fee..........But wouldn't it look funny with the old body part?............just a thought................

This is when Docride:heart: come to the rescue on blending in the new Barenia handles with patinaed body part through DIY methods.

Hi Mistikat and Sydspy,

I haven't purchased the bag--still contemplating.

I'm all for natural darkening, patina, etc., but the handles appear (from pics only) to be a great deal darker (even possibly black) than the rest of the bag.

Thanks for the quick responses. So Sydspy, I assumed new handles prob wouldn't match exactly, but are you saying new handles would be very obviously different-looking than the original bag?

Hm. I don't like putting scarves on handles. I wonder if I could just use the bag with the darkened handles, or would that look wrong?

No, it won't look wrong with darkened handles. It's a natural stage. Just like ostrich birkins where the handles will darken eventually and some owners love to leave the handles uncovered. On a negative note, by tying the handles with twillies, the handle will look in contrast against the body part once uncovered. At the end of the day, it's really up to the individual. We all have different taste and preferences.

Last edited:
Hi Mistikat and Sydspy,

I haven't purchased the bag--still contemplating.

I'm all for natural darkening, patina, etc., but the handles appear (from pics only) to be a great deal darker (even possibly black) than the rest of the bag.

Thanks for the quick responses. So Sydspy, I assumed new handles prob wouldn't match exactly, but are you saying new handles would be very obviously different-looking than the original bag?

Hm. I don't like putting scarves on handles. I wonder if I could just use the bag with the darkened handles, or would that look wrong?

I suppose the new handles would not look that obvious as the handles will be slim and skinny anyway.......but as IFFAH has mentioned that you probably can contact "Docride" regarding the method of blending the new handles to the old patina of the bag to make it look much more even.........BTW I do love my Barenia handles to get darken anyway...... I think it looks nice that way........but that's just my taste.........;)

I think I know which bag you are talking about............:P

You're on to me, Sydspy! So what do you think about those handles? Could I just wear them about town like that? They seem almost black in the pics, no?

They look dark, but that is the nature of Barenia anyway.......... As I mentioned earlier that I prefer it to be darken......... :P Hopefully, we are talking about the same bag here.............is it a HAC 32cm?

Thanks Sydspy, and thanks to everyone else for your posts. I'm still thinking about how I would feel carrying the bag with very darkened handles. It's a beautiful bag, though! I will prob regret not purchasing it.

If anyone else wants to offer their opinion on barenia birkins and darkened handles, I'd love to hear it.

If you already have reservations, I wouldn't do it. These bags are too pricey to not be in love right from the get-go.....plus, why spend another couple of thousand replacing handles which won't match the body of the bag and then waiting the months for it to be done when you can wait a bit longer and possibly find another bag which you will love right from the start (without all the additional shenanigans?)....

Keep in mind that re-sale on HAC's is not too easy if you do, indeed, find you can't live with those darkened handles.

Last edited:
Thanks Sydspy, and thanks to everyone else for your posts. I'm still thinking about how I would feel carrying the bag with very darkened handles. It's a beautiful bag, though! I will prob regret not purchasing it.

If anyone else wants to offer their opinion on barenia birkins and darkened handles, I'd love to hear it.

I actually love the look of the darkened handles and can hardly wait for mine to get that way.