Dark water damage

FabuLex

O.G.
Nov 4, 2006
I recently acquired (absolutely free) a preloved Speedy B 25, the catch? It has considerable water damage to the lower half, both sides. Only the vachetta is damaged, the canvas, the interior, and the structural integrity is fine. I believe it to be authentic. The date code is SD1149 and USA made so it is not vintage.
I've been searching the forum for other cases of water damage but I haven't found anything this bad.
What are my options? Perhaps I can try to blend the harsh lines?
At this time, I don't plan to invest into repairing it, so anything DIY would be appreciated.

Thank you!

IMG_6734.JPGIMG_6733.JPG

You can remove / even out water marks and stains by re-wetting the vachetta, but you have to wet the whole piece not just the stained area. The reason why water ‘marks’ vachetta is because the water draws out oils from the leather as it dries. If you take a damp cloth, towels work best, and rub the vachetta including the non stained area until the clean vachetta changes colour (make sure its evenly wet dont want dry spots) and then gently in circular motions keep working on the stained area as longs as the non stained area was wet as well, when all of it dries it will be much more even.

You can remove / even out water marks and stains by re-wetting the vachetta, but you have to wet the whole piece not just the stained area. The reason why water ‘marks’ vachetta is because the water draws out oils from the leather as it dries. If you take a damp cloth, towels work best, and rub the vachetta including the non stained area until the clean vachetta changes colour (make sure its evenly wet dont want dry spots) and then gently in circular motions keep working on the stained area as longs as the non stained area was wet as well, when all of it dries it will be much more even.
Thank you! I'll try this and update :hbeat:

Reactions: Prettyinblush