dark jeans bled onto my ginger havana!

eSynergy

Nov 3, 2008
I did a search and couldn't find anything....it seems as though my dark jeans (even though I've washed them 5+ times), marked up my beautiful ginger havana!!! I sprayed it with apple guard and everything...but it still stained it.

Any tips for cleaning it? I've heard dry erase markers work...I also have leather conditioner to try. Or, maybe it's best to take it to a leather store and have it professionally done!

What do you think?

I'd check the Care thread stickied at the top of the forum. I know Stormy has addressed denim transfer many times, though not specifically for ginger...good luck!

Yup! Stormy pointed that out to me when I used the TLC (Wilson's) Leather Cleaner and Conditioner to clean some ink off my Euc Havana. I'm thinking water-based Lexol cleaner (auto supply shops??) might be the way to go here. I think she said Ginger (like Euc) is unfinished but not "naked"... I'm still not sure on this distinction. But a good cleaner should get some of it off. I had denim transfer on both my Yam Tharpe and my old red Beatrice, and the TLC cleaner got most of it off both of them (but they're both "finished" leathers)... Good luck!! That's such a stomach-dropping feeling when it happens :sad:

Yup! Stormy pointed that out to me when I used the TLC (Wilson's) Leather Cleaner and Conditioner to clean some ink off my Euc Havana. I'm thinking water-based Lexol cleaner (auto supply shops??) might be the way to go here. I think she said Ginger (like Euc) is unfinished but not "naked"... I'm still not sure on this distinction. But a good cleaner should get some of it off. I had denim transfer on both my Yam Tharpe and my old red Beatrice, and the TLC cleaner got most of it off both of them (but they're both "finished" leathers)... Good luck!! That's such a stomach-dropping feeling when it happens :sad:

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into some Lexol...if that doesn't work I'll take it to a professional. You're absolutely right...my stomach dropped when I saw it!!!

I recently asked Stormy for advice on cleaning ginger leather. It's probably on the last page of that thread. Use Lexol on a damp cloth to clean dirty spots, and then go over the entire bag so the color is not uneven. Dry with a towel, then air dry overnight. Next, condition with Wilson's Lotion or Lexol Conditioner. Finally, protect with a few coats of Wilson's Spray.

eSyn, make sure you re-spray it (Apple or Wilson's TLC) after you clean it, as you'll clean off the protective layer. I just re-sprayed my Euc Havana... I think the original coating saved the bag, seriously. There's still two dime-sized spots of super-faded ink, but the original mess was the size of my palm, smeared. If I hadn't pre-treated it, it would have been toast. Now, it's just broken-in (it's on the back, and the blue isn't too far from the color of the leather). Let us know how it goes with the Lexol!

eSyn, make sure you re-spray it (Apple or Wilson's TLC) after you clean it, as you'll clean off the protective layer. I just re-sprayed my Euc Havana... I think the original coating saved the bag, seriously. There's still two dime-sized spots of super-faded ink, but the original mess was the size of my palm, smeared. If I hadn't pre-treated it, it would have been toast. Now, it's just broken-in (it's on the back, and the blue isn't too far from the color of the leather). Let us know how it goes with the Lexol!

Thanks! i'm off to find/order some lexol today. I did pre-treat the bag so hopefully that will save it. I'll post my results!

Hey girls...just wanted to update you. I bought the Apple leather products - the leather cleaner, conditioner (leather "care") and spray and my ginger havana looks 90% back to normal! Before, I couldn't even wear the bag it looked so bad. It looked like I stood against a wall of wet paint. You can still see where it got stained (well, I can tell), but it's not bad at all. I'm happily carrying the bag today, after a few week hiatus. Here's what I did:

- I rubbed the cleaner on with a white, soft cloth, in a circular motion (applying liberally). I ended up doing the whole bag, in case the color changed slightly. I let it dry, then did another round of cleaning the next night. The cleaner works really well.

- I rubbed on the conditioner w/ another cloth (again, very liberally). This took out all of the scuff marks and scratches.

- The following morning, I sprayed with Apple Guarde protectant (2 rounds of this).

Here's the website where i bought the products:
http://leatherstuff.com/shop/index.php?id=290

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you had a (relatively) happy ending~ I feel the same way with the ink on my Euc Havana... that I can see a little bit left, but I'm fine wearing the bag that way. Are you going to avoid wearing it with dark wash now, though? My Black Trophy left some dark rub-off on a white tee yesterday.... I'm going to spray it to see if that locks in whatever dye bleed is happening, but am wary about wearing it with lighter colors now.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you had a (relatively) happy ending~ I feel the same way with the ink on my Euc Havana... that I can see a little bit left, but I'm fine wearing the bag that way. Are you going to avoid wearing it with dark wash now, though? My Black Trophy left some dark rub-off on a white tee yesterday.... I'm going to spray it to see if that locks in whatever dye bleed is happening, but am wary about wearing it with lighter colors now.

the spray should lock in some of the color.

I'm not going to avoid dark jeans all together (I know my others don't bleed) - I'm just going to avoid that certain pair of jeans!