Dark hair and highlights

Girlygirlxxx

Sep 7, 2008
Hey everyone,
I have long medium dark brown hair and I'm getting bored of it and wanted to experiment with blonde. I was thinking light blonde highlights with it.

Do you think it will work out ok? I will go to the hairdressers to have it done.

:tup:

As long as you go to a very experienced stylist, yes it will work. Just BE SURE that whoever you go to is accustomed to highlighting dark hair. I've had some really bad jobs done to my hair in the past. Thankfully I have a wonderful and highly competent stylist now, but I don't let just anyone color my hair.

^ I totally agree. I also think you should look at lots of pictures and talk to your stylist about what's in and what will suit you - the two are not always the same! Also, stylists are not mind readers... what you are thinking might be totally (or subtly) different from what they think they're giving you.

YES, make sure you go to a stylist that has experience with dark hair. I cant tell you how many I have been too that claimed they did and my highlights came out looking more red than anything else...Of course I actually have black hair and not brown.

It's definitely important to have an excellent hair dresser. A good hairdresser will also let you know what your hair's breaking point it. If there is a color that would strain your hair too much during the bleaching process which could lead to dry and break-prone hair, a good hairdresser will let you know, and only take your hair the lightest color that it can achieven and still be healthy.

I'm not a fan of light blond highlights on dark hair but I do love the look of medium-dark blonde or caramel highlights on dark hair so I say go for it!

Definitely only go to a good colourist and make sure you look at the colour swatches with them/show them photos so they know exactly what shade of highlights you are thinking of.
I have medium-dark brown hair with caramel (level 5) highlights and in the past I've had medium blonde highlights (level 6/7), as long as I took care of my hair after colouring (not shampooing the ends, treatments, gentle handling etc) I had very little damage....the only downside of highlights for me is the upkeep.

I would start off with a few highlights, professional is a must as dk brn hair can turn pumpkin (trust me , I've been there!) You can always add more if you like them.