Dare I say it...

smooches

O.G.
Oct 6, 2006
I feel like I'm done with bags. I don't know if it's the economy getting me down. I'm not sure if it's that I'm bored with MJ lately. I feel uninspired by his latest designs.

I find myself drawn to shoes lately. I bought a pair of Givenchy heels recently and I find myself more drawn to those. I don't wear them much but they are just so artistically appealing.

Seeing that airplane/globe keychain made me think MJ is out of ideas...

I'd like to hear what others think. How do you feel? Have I somehow missed the latest, greatest MJ designs? Can I come out of this? lol, thanks ladies, love you guys!

I feel like I'm done with bags. I don't know if it's the economy getting me down. I'm not sure if it's that I'm bored with MJ lately. I feel uninspired by his latest designs.

I find myself drawn to shoes lately. I bought a pair of Givenchy heels recently and I find myself more drawn to those. I don't wear them much but they are just so artistically appealing.

Seeing that airplane/globe keychain made me think MJ is out of ideas...

I'd like to hear what others think. How do you feel? Have I somehow missed the latest, greatest MJ designs? Can I come out of this? lol, thanks ladies, love you guys!
I don't know about others, but I do that. I go through month-long phases. 1/2 yr or so. It passes. There's always a new season around the corner. It's got to be extremely difficult creating new lines several times a year. Give him a break. Something will pop up that you will have to have!
:P

Last edited:
I can sorta see where you're coming from. I'm not all that impressed with this season either. There are a few stand-outs and highlights (the Stardust collection is a hit, IMO and the use of lamb for the quilted bags). A lot of the bags are too cartoonish (they're even called "Cartoon Paisley") looking like Lego blocks and toys, with Frankenstein "things" sticking out from the bags - a lot of the bags go overboard with the use of studs and stones and 80s references. This season's collection is definitely NOT for everyone and I can see where some longtime fans and buyers could be turned off and sent in other directions.

I think the other thing is the lack of availability of many of this season's bags. Shown on the website for months, only to find out that the MJ company didn't order half of what's been shown. It seems like the most attention will be paid to the runway bags, but then again those are the ones that will definitely appeal to a certain audience -- the price tags as well are a little bit out there, above normal for MJ (I still think $1700 for a satin bag is a bit much - you come to expect that from Chanel or LV, but usually not from MJ)

I do think MJs lost some of what made him so appealing way back when -- the naturalness, easy-going, accessible styles. Seasons where there were bags and styles for everyone. It seems like in recent seasons he's been designing with a specific audience in mind and the bags have definitely NOT been for everyone. There's still hope, however -- with the return of the Original Blake and Elise bags for Resort, one can only hope that the "classic" MJ of years gone by might sneak back in there - of course, new styles will always emerge but it would be nice to have reminders of "old school" MJ and what it was that made us all fall in love with him in the first place. One of the things I always loved about MJ was the fact that he seemed to follow no one and did his own thing -- designing the things he wanted to design with little care of what others said. It seems like lately he's trying to be more pleasing of others, which in some ways is causing him to loose that sense if individualism that made me fall in love w/him in the first place

i go through phases too :yes: i'm in one right now. the huge hillier is the first mj i've bought since february (well except for a $35 wristlet from ebay) ;) and i don't even know if i'm going to keep the hillier :sad:

i think it's the economy and trying to watch things for me. i went on a bit of a binge in february so i'm good for a while i guess. LOL

i'm the exact opposite when it comes to the current season. i love almost everything, and even if i wouldn't buy a cartoon paisley or vortex bag, i appreciate that it's something fresh, fun, and unlike anything everyone else is doing. so in that regard, i think mj very much still has innovative ideas. unfortunately, it just may not be to your taste. i am loving the glam, edgy, rock 'n' roll mj. designers change, they evolve. i'd rather see something different year after year than watch them rehash the same good old standbys even if they are timeless (cough*chanel*cough).

there are always up and down seasons for each one of us. i didn't love spring 07, but that was more than made up for came fall 07. my current to-buy list is filled with items from this season. however, it looks like i'm going to hate resort. give it some time. a little distance could renew your love for the brand or you may discover something else fits you better.

as for the key chain, i'm rather positive he didn't design that himself or even approve it for production and sale. in between mj collection, mbmj, and lv, he doesn't oversee every aspect of everything least of all the special items. robert duffy mainly makes the decision of what's being carried, how things should be priced, store displays, etc. it's very likely he saw the design, thought it was cute, and had no idea it was a tiffany's knock-off. this is a common occurrence in the fashion world. i don't think a copy from his tertiary line is indicative of a dried up well of ideas.

Last edited:
i'm the exact opposite when it comes to the current season. i love almost everything, and even if i wouldn't buy a cartoon paisley or vortex bag, i appreciate that it's something fresh, fun, and unlike anything everyone else is doing. so in that regard, i think mj very much still has innovative ideas. unfortunately, it just may not be to your taste. i am loving the glam, edgy, rock 'n' roll mj. designers change, they evolve. i'd rather see something different year after year than watch them rehash the same good old standbys even if they are timeless (cough*chanel*cough).

there are always up and down seasons for each one of us. i didn't love spring 07, but that was more than made up for came fall 07. my current to-buy list is filled with items from this season. however, it looks like i'm going to hate resort. give it some time. a little distance could renew your love for the brand or you may discover something else fits you better.

as for the key chain, i'm rather positive he didn't design that himself or even approve it for production and sale. in between mj collection, mbmj, and lv, he doesn't oversee every aspect of everything least of all the special items. robert duffy mainly makes the decision of what's being carried, how things should be priced, store displays, etc. it's very likely he saw the design, thought it was cute, and had no idea it was a tiffany's knock-off. this is a common occurrence in the fashion world. i don't think a copy from his tertiary line is indicative of a dried up well of ideas.
Well said, and ditto.
I love the new stuff. I love the upcoming resort line and the fall line
I can't wait to get a brown stardust stam!!! ok, and a black stardust Cecilia. It is just TDF!!!

Attachments

• 0470817061066R_CBLACK_300x400.jpg
    0470817061066R_CBLACK_300x400.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 53
aesthetically, I like the newer things; they're fun to look at and I can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into the design and execution.

But for practicality, I am still into the '06 -'07 lines; those had things I can actually (now) see myself carrying.

I completely understand your feelings. It comes and goes. It 's always like that for me. I was very into one designer brand, then i move on to the next one. i still love MJ, and i think mj is here to stay. I love the classic bags, yummy leather, suede lining, NOT so much into the new trends. I have a very basic ,classic collection. The economy also puts everyone on alert, does not exclude anyone, even TPFers. With that thought, i do think we need severval bags, but not tons of bag. And i look at bags, that i would still use them 5-10years from now. So don't feel discourage, we all have our moments. As long as i'm not in debt, living beyond ours means. i'm happy and i hope you will find happiness too

I completely understand where your coming from, but it took me to expand my collection in general for me to appreciate some of my marc jacobs, and then get rid of the ones I dont. I like branching out though, if i only had all marc jacobs i feel my handbag collection would be very dull. Maybe you just need to look into other designers and see if something different would be a nice change :heart:

Thanks everyone. I really do like the stardust line but feel that it's out of my price range. I think it has more to do with the economy and I got a paycut so I'm trying to scale back on everything in my life.

It seems like designer items are so much more expensive than several years ago and it doesn't help that I'm making less, boo. Of course if I can get an MJ bag at a great price I wouldn't pass it up. I still love MJ, he was my first and remains my favorite high end designer love :heart:

You're not alone. There's times where I don't see the point of buying anymore bags, but then there's a new bag that comes along and I'm hooked again. Since I got two bags from my wishlist and currently lusting a Miu Miu, but I'm holding off because I just don't need anymore.

I am like you. I have been through almost every style of MJ. My favorites are from Fall 05 and Fall 06. I purchased one last purse and have been concentrating on shoes. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate everyones reveals of the newer styles:graucho:

i really, really need to transition into my shoe stage. really. any day now. i did buy three fabulous pairs of shoes from the outnet pop up sale last week, so there's hope for me yet!