Danger: Stay Away From Pvc Products

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm a very eco-friendly girl and can't keep my mouth shut when it comes to harming one's health or the environment.

Many of you might not be aware of PVC. Most common forms would be the vinyl shower curtains you use or your vinyl/patent bags, wallets, toys and the list goes on. Here is a link so you can get more info about PVC

http://www.besafenet.com/pvc/about.htm

I was at the mall last night and I noticed a good number of patent vinyl bags, shoes and even a coat!! I was scared to death :wtf:. I just wanted to get the word out to everyone to STAY AWAY!!!!! They may look shiny and pretty and come in all colors for spring and summer but they are dangerous. PVC releases toxic chemicals and are detrimental to your health and the environment.

Let's all do our part to keep great health and a safer/cleaner environment :flowers:

2. thanks for the tip! will do!

3. Thank you for the article, this is the first I have heard about PVC and some of it's environmental and health dangers. I'm definitely going to stay away from PVC from now on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/business/businessspecial2/26chemical.html?ex=1364270400&en=c22b88aa34b26ead&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

"A few years ago, some Kaiser managers grew alarmed by studies showing that a plastic used in many supplies — polyvinyl chloride, or PVC — turns to chlorinated dioxin, a toxin, when burned. Other studies showed that DEHP (diethylhexyl phthalate, a chemical that makes PVC malleable), can leach into the contents of intravenous bags, potentially causing reproductive problems in male babies."

4. I will definitely check into this! Thank you, so much.....That is why I love the Purse Forum so much!!

5. Will keep this in mind!

6. wow oh wow!!

I had gotten some PVC ridden jellies and I did notice that shower curtain smell.

These will be the only pvc product that I own. good looking out.

7. Thanks for the info!

8. Wow, I had no idea - thanks for posting. I never liked the cheap feel/smell of PVC.

9. Honestly, I'm much, much more concerned about dry cleaners that use PERC than what PVC's may or may not be putting out into the air. I'm also concerned that a lot of websites are just about pushing their agenda and don't have their facts straight.

Case in point: Global warming. It's not standing up to scientific scrutiny, the guy who coined the term says he was wrong, mankind has NO control over decomposition, volcanic eruptions and water vapor (the big three when it comes to gases), and then there's the sun. It gets hotter, we get hotter. Then there are those lightbulbs that environmentalists are promoting, but they're not telling people about the danger they represent to their skin and eyes due to the UV they emit, or the fact that they have to be disposed of like cell phone batteries.

10. Thanks for the info.

11. Thank you for posting this. Its always great to keep on top of what is harmful to ourselves and the planet.

12. I don't do PVC... ONLY natural materials, am a "greenie" too!

13. Good post, bumblebees. There are many excellent, environmentally-friendly alternatives to PVC. I work in the environmental field so this issue is very close to me.

14. I have 2 Marc Jacobs PVC tote bags :sad::wtf:

15. and how about the mercury located in some of these "energy saving" bulbs?

we started to use regular bulbs after finding out the high maintenance in maintaing these things. do you have an alternative?