Damier Sarah Vs Vernis Sarah- Which one is more durable?

that_claudz

Jan 6, 2013
I've been researching wallets (and changing my mind every 5 seconds at that!), and I was wondering if anyone can contribute in terms of how their wallets have lasted?

I love the Vernis, in fact I would really like a Vernis Alma, but can't afford that right now- so I thought the next best thing might be a Vernis wallet. Just wondering if that wears well and whether the patent cracks or gets worn after a short period of time?

I am also considering the Damier, so that it could match a Damier Speedy. Does that material last better than a Vernis?

I will most likely purchase the wallet when I visit Paris. Just compared prices on their French website compared to the Australian one. Although the prices in bags aren't huge, there was nearly a $300 difference in the wallets!

Any advice would be great! Cheers! :smile:

I have the sarah DE and love it ! I'm not a big

help because I like vernis Sarah too :sad:
but, I'm guessing both are durable and
both are beautiful .. Lol I told you I'm
no help on this one :biggrin:

I have the sarah DE and love it ! I'm not a big

help because I like vernis Sarah too :sad:
but, I'm guessing both are durable and
both are beautiful .. Lol I told you I'm
no help on this one :biggrin:

Lol!

How long have you had your Sarah DE? Is it still as nice as when it was new?

Price difference for the DE is massive. About $300 savings but on the Vernis only about $125. Of course this is also before VAT. I feel like I could almost buy another bag with what the Vernis Sarah cost. Lol. But hubby says what's the difference if I was willing to pay the amount I would pay for the DE! Lol. Suppose he's right!

DE is very durable, I don't have a Sarah but my DE ZCP is two and a half years old, used daily and not babied and it still looks brand new. You mention matching it with a DE bag and I did that - sometimes I like it and sometimes I think it looks too matchy and wish I had gotten a vernis or monogram wallet instead. You may have to take better care of vernis than DE but if you like it better it may be worth the extra money and care, to have what you really want.

DE is very durable, I don't have a Sarah but my DE ZCP is two and a half years old, used daily and not babied and it still looks brand new. You mention matching it with a DE bag and I did that - sometimes I like it and sometimes I think it looks too matchy and wish I had gotten a vernis or monogram wallet instead. You may have to take better care of vernis than DE but if you like it better it may be worth the extra money and care, to have what you really want.

Thanks tiggycat for your help!

I love the Vernis a lot more and really want the Alma as well in it. I don't think I'll have enough money to buy that though while we're travelling (will need to save some money for buying other pretty things too!) so thought the wallet was a nice compromise... Just so worried that it is not as durable. For that amount of money I want it to last the next decade! Lol.

Lol!

How long have you had your Sarah DE? Is it still as nice as when it was new?

Price difference for the DE is massive. About $300 savings but on the Vernis only about $125. Of course this is also before VAT. I feel like I could almost buy another bag with what the Vernis Sarah cost. Lol. But hubby says what's the difference if I was willing to pay the amount I would pay for the DE! Lol. Suppose he's right!

My Sarah still look brand new like the day
I've bought it ! No complain :smile: I'm so in
love on this wallet and I like when I carry
it as a clutch .. Very classy ! But, I'm giving
hubby a hint for our anniversary and I hope
he will get my "coughing" LV sign... Lol
I really want to have a Sarah vernis too
one day !

I can take pics on my Sarah if u want !

Damier in which print, Ebene or Azur? They're both coated canvas so they're more "durable" than Vernis but I believe it's all in how you take care of your SLGS. For SLGS, I prefer Vernis or MC for a pop of color. I have two Sarah wallets, one in black MC and the other in the new Vernis Rosé Velour. I love them both to pieces!

I have a Vernis Sarah (Pomme) that's over 3 years old and I've used her every single day since I got her. She looks PERFECT! No scratches. No color transfer. Nothing!! I absolutely love, love, love this wallet!! I used to own a Mono wallet and after only 1 year, the glazing started pulling apart. LV fixed it for free but I didn't have my wallet for several weeks. When it came back brand new I sold it. I can't speak for DE, but my Vernis Sarah has worn like IRON! Very, very pleased!

Even though DE is more durable, I'd still get Vernis! It's so very, very stunning. And, if you're considering a Vernis Alma, I'm sure you'd be able to the care of a wallet. The Vernis colors are simply beautiful. Good luck deciding!

I've had Vernis wallets that have lasted for years and years. Vernis is more durable than a lot of people imagine. In my experience, when a Vernis wallet gives out it happens along the edges, where it can start to peel (again, after a lot of years of steady use). Not cracking elsewhere.

Color transfer is still a factor, but it's very minor in a darker color (like, you may get some pinprick-sized dots).

I have the Sarah in Pomme and have used it almost everyday for about 3.5 years. It's help up great. There is a very slight glazing issue on one fold but that's it. I say go for the Vernis. It's great to have that pop of color in your bag and it makes me smile everytime I use it. Unlike my handbags, I only switch my wallet if I am going on vacation, so my wallet is used everyday.

If you buy the Damier, would you always wish you bought the Vernis? In the LV world, an upgrade for that price is worth it if you think of the length of use per item.

Good luck and I hope that helps!

Had a vernis pomme zippy but (for me) the pop of color lost its lustre for me. Sold it and got a DE zippy. I love the classics, and plus, I think I am a more "earth-tone" gal. My favorite color is brown so prefer damier. I think I am a minority on this issue though because everyone loves the vernis. I plan to use this wallet till it falls apart, so my reason for switching to DE is that the de will still be classic 10-20 years from now. (Not to say that vernis won't but who knows).

Wow what a response!

I am looking at the Damier Ebene. That's the colour I will get for the Speedy as well.

I do think I like the Vernis just a LITTLE more than the DE Sarah. I love patent! I've had a few patent wallets, and whilst not in a luxury brand like this, I actually find are quite hard wearing, as if indestructible.

Red is my favourite colour, so I love that the Vernis has some lovely shades. Pardon me for not knowing the names of the colours, but I love the red, the bright pink and also the dark cherry colour.

Can someone clarify what is meant by the colour transfer and "dots" in the darker shades?

I think for the difference in only about $120 or so... If I am going all the way to Paris to make a purchase, I should get the one I really love? Even if it's more expensive? (Listen I me justify the cost...)

I worry that I'll find plenty of things to buy in Paris, but then telling myself I'm unlikely to purchase clothes or jewellery. I went crazy with Tiffany in the States on a recent trip and had a massive shopping list, but my list for Paris isn't nearly as long. Correct me if I'm wrong- but I'm hoping I won't shop as much in Europe as I did in the States! Lol!