Damier Ebene in the rain

nycgirl79

Born & raised Manhattanite, addicted to traveling
O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
Hi everyone.
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I’m still fairly new to LV!
I’ll be traveling next week, and of course the weather forecast is saying rain, rain and more rain. I usually travel with my Longchamp Le Pliage Neo, and a Gucci messenger bag. While I do love those bags, they are definitely not in the same category as my beloved new Siena! So the question is, will the crappy weather ruin my bag? I know that the coated canvas is “waterproof” (is it really?!), and that the leather has also been treated, but I’m worried about water spots, and other potential damage to my beautiful Siena.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much, and thanks for humoring me!

Reactions: orangefeast
Hi everyone.
I’ll be traveling next week, and of course the weather forecast is saying rain, rain and more rain. I usually travel with my Longchamp Le Pliage Neo, and a Gucci messenger bag. While I do love those bags, they are definitely not in the same category as my beloved new Siena! So the question is, will the crappy weather ruin my bag? I know that the coated canvas is “waterproof” (is it really?!), and that the leather has also been treated, but I’m worried about water spots, and other potential damage to my beautiful Siena.
The only "dumb" question is the one that goes unasked, so you're all good:flowers:
Coated canvas is not waterproof but it IS water-resistant, so hence why it's a good option on rainy days, and if you have rain hit the leather and canvas then all you'll likely see are some white residue marks (ie. dust, pollution, pollen, etc.) from whatever got caught when the bag was still damp. Just take a lightly-dampened cloth and wipe everything down and then dry with a clean towel...don't worry, there won't be staining like on vachetta.

The only "dumb" question is the one that goes unasked, so you're all good:flowers:
Coated canvas is not waterproof but it IS water-resistant, so hence why it's a good option on rainy days, and if you have rain hit the leather and canvas then all you'll likely see are some white residue marks (ie. dust, pollution, pollen, etc.) from whatever got caught when the bag was still damp. Just take a lightly-dampened cloth and wipe everything down and then dry with a clean towel...don't worry, there won't be staining like on vachetta.

Thank you so much, Miss Krys! Wonderful info, and advice which I’ll definitely be following!

Hi everyone.
I live in a Massachusetts and use DE in rain and snow. No problems ever.

I always have a napkin or paper towel in the bag so I can wipe off though.

I was walking in the heavy rain with my Alma BB DE and I can say both canvas and leather parts had zero damage from the wet. Just use some tissue papers to wipe off the water once I arrived work. I was super impressed by this. [emoji1360]

Reactions: orangefeast
It'll be fine but you should probably carry a compact umbrella with anyway so you don't have to be forced to be out in pouring rain with your Siena soaking it all up. lol

Lol, definitely! Already have an umbrella packed, but I’ll be walking A LOT, so I’m sure there will come a point when the umbrella isn’t doing all that much!

I was walking in the heavy rain with my Alma BB DE and I can say both canvas and leather parts had zero damage from the wet. Just use some tissue papers to wipe off the water once I arrived work. I was super impressed by this. [emoji1360]

That’s amazing (well, not the getting stuck in a downpour part!)! Really appreciate hearing this.

Lol, definitely! Already have an umbrella packed, but I’ll be walking A LOT, so I’m sure there will come a point when the umbrella isn’t doing all that much!

I know what you mean. This may sound crazy to some but I actually have a raincoat for my bags just in case - particularly when I travel to London & Rome with worst downpours I've encountered. I don't think you need this for your DE as it should be pretty weatherproof on its own but in case it gets realllllly bad you can pull this out to protect your baby. :love:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/cl...orage/handbag-raincoat/12d?productId=11003512

Reactions: LittleLuxe
I know what you mean. This may sound crazy to some but I actually have a raincoat for my bags just in case - particularly when I travel to London & Rome with worst downpours I've encountered. I don't think you need this for your DE as it should be pretty weatherproof on its own but in case it gets realllllly bad you can pull this out to protect your baby. :love:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/cl...orage/handbag-raincoat/12d?productId=11003512

Doesn’t sound crazy at all!! I’ll be in Paris and London, and every time I’m there it’s nonstop rain...so a raincoat for your purse is an excellent idea - especially given the amount of money we all spend on our beloved bags! If I had more time before this upcoming trip I’d totally purchase one, but I’ll def get one for the next. Thanks for the link!!