Damaged hardware on MK wallet - is this normal?

Miss Krys

Jun 14, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Hi everyone!

I received this MK wallet as a gift less than a year ago. As you can see in the pictures the hardware is already damaged and the golden color has already peeled off partly. The same goes for the zipper.

I wanted to ask if this is just regular wear and tear? What can I do against this?

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Foto...ADLCTfa_4X0JdIz4JBgDsqYa5eZnf8PREoYih5HpdsGNw
MK products shouldn't be doing that at all and unfortunately your pic doesn't work so I can't tell what type of wallet it is, whether it's authentic, etc.
Under the assumption that the wallet is authentic and you've not been abusive to it then I recommend that you talk to the person who gave you the wallet and see if they still have the receipt or go to a MK store (the boutiques are a better option than an outlet) and see if they have this transaction on their records. All MK products are covered under a one year warranty and they will either repair or replace the product within that time period. Hope this helps:smile:

ntn_

♥
Nov 22, 2010
MK products shouldn't be doing that at all and unfortunately your pic doesn't work so I can't tell what type of wallet it is, whether it's authentic, etc.
Under the assumption that the wallet is authentic and you've not been abusive to it then I recommend that you talk to the person who gave you the wallet and see if they still have the receipt or go to a MK store (the boutiques are a better option than an outlet) and see if they have this transaction on their records. All MK products are covered under a one year warranty and they will either repair or replace the product within that time period. Hope this helps:smile:
Thanks for answering :smile:. I couldn't attach the picture as the image was too large but you can also click on the link. I'm pretty sure the wallet it authentic, I don't have the receipt, just the Macy's tag that was attached to it.

The only problem is that this wallet was bought in the US whereas I live in Europe. Do you think I can go to a MK boutique over here and just show the wallet and tag? Do you think that'll be sufficient?

ubo22

O.G.
Jan 14, 2011
USA
Hi everyone!

I received this MK wallet as a gift less than a year ago. As you can see in the pictures the hardware is already damaged and the golden color has already peeled off partly. The same goes for the zipper.

I wanted to ask if this is just regular wear and tear? What can I do against this?

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Foto...ADLCTfa_4X0JdIz4JBgDsqYa5eZnf8PREoYih5HpdsGNw
The link to your picture is not working, but this sounds like the same problem others found with the Hamilton bag hardware. There is a thread about this called Defects on Michael Kors Hamilton Bags. (see link below)

http://forum.purseblog.com/michael-kors/defects-on-michael-kors-hamilton-bags-775940.html

I am planning on purchasing a Hamilton bag and decided to protect the hardware as soon as I get it. You can probably do the same with the hardware on a MK wallet. Either put some clear tape on the hardware or, like I did with one of my LV bags, you can cut out a piece from an iPad screen protector to match the size of the metal plate and then adhere it to the metal plate just like you would adhere a screen protector to an iPad or iPhone. It takes a bit of work to get the screen protector piece cut out to the exact right size, but once it's on there, it will pretty much stay on forever until you want to take it off. It will prevent scratches on the metal plate and prevent the metal from fading/flaking over time.

Miss Krys

Jun 14, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Thanks for answering :smile:. I couldn't attach the picture as the image was too large but you can also click on the link. I'm pretty sure the wallet it authentic, I don't have the receipt, just the Macy's tag that was attached to it.

The only problem is that this wallet was bought in the US whereas I live in Europe. Do you think I can go to a MK boutique over here and just show the wallet and tag? Do you think that'll be sufficient?
If this wallet came from Macy's then it's authentic. Take your wallet into the closest boutique, along with the tags, and have them take a look at it (it's internationally known that Macy's is an authorized seller for MK) and see what they say. I've always found MK service to be friendly and accommodating when it comes to rectifying problems like this. No guarantee but I think your chances are good that they will help you :smile:

Jul 9, 2014
Norway
The link to your picture is not working, but this sounds like the same problem others found with the Hamilton bag hardware. There is a thread about this called Defects on Michael Kors Hamilton Bags. (see link below)

http://forum.purseblog.com/michael-kors/defects-on-michael-kors-hamilton-bags-775940.html

I am planning on purchasing a Hamilton bag and decided to protect the hardware as soon as I get it. You can probably do the same with the hardware on a MK wallet. Either put some clear tape on the hardware or, like I did with one of my LV bags, you can cut out a piece from an iPad screen protector to match the size of the metal plate and then adhere it to the metal plate just like you would adhere a screen protector to an iPad or iPhone. It takes a bit of work to get the screen protector piece cut out to the exact right size, but once it's on there, it will pretty much stay on forever until you want to take it off. It will prevent scratches on the metal plate and prevent the metal from fading/flaking over time.
This is an excellent tip that works. I did this to my Continental Wallet and Hamilton bag. Can see it's there;)

ubo22

O.G.
Jan 14, 2011
USA
This is an excellent tip that works. I did this to my Continental Wallet and Hamilton bag. Can see it's there;)
Glad it worked for you. I'll try to post pictures after I protect my new Hamilton. It really does work and the added benefit is that it keeps the lock on the Hamilton from swinging around wildly during use because there is a protective (almost rubbery) barrier between the metal and the lock.

ntn_

♥
Nov 22, 2010
Thank you all for your input! I contacted a local boutique store, they kindly advised me to contact the US customer service to ask for their input. Once the US customer service agreed to refund or exchange my wallet, I could come by the boutique and they would help me out further.

Sounds like it's going to work out fine after all :smile:.

My wallet is a Continental wallet by the way, so sad to hear that others have had problem with MK hardware as well, such a shame really :sad:

ntn_

♥
Nov 22, 2010

That's a great tip! Will definitely do that to the rest of my MK hardware and possibly my new wallet :smile:

ubo22

O.G.
Jan 14, 2011
USA
Glad it worked for you. I'll try to post pictures after I protect my new Hamilton. It really does work and the added benefit is that it keeps the lock on the Hamilton from swinging around wildly during use because there is a protective (almost rubbery) barrier between the metal and the lock.
I posted pictures of my protected Hamilton in the Defects on Michael Kors Hamilton Bags thread.

http://forum.purseblog.com/michael-kors/defects-on-michael-kors-hamilton-bags-775940-4.html

ntn_

♥
Nov 22, 2010
An update for anyone who's interested:

I contacted the customer service and they agreed to replace my wallet with a new one, on the condition that I destroy the faulty one and send them pictures of it.

Sounds fair enough but can not bring myself to cut the wallet in half, guess I'll just have to :sweatdrop: