Daily drivers/beaters

Diva_k3000

May 24, 2018
Do you have “beater” or “daily driver” bags you use more frequently than your special occasion ones? How many of your bags would you put in this category? What materials and price range so you usually have for a bag you don’t have to “worry about?”

Joule

Jan 14, 2016
I've always thought of "Beater" and "Daily Driver" as two separate categories. My daily drivers are the casual bags I use most of the time, while my beaters (usually Longchamp le Pliage or Néo) come out for bad weather or outdoor events.

Reactions: Annabel Lee

OogleAtLuxury

Nov 14, 2017
My beater bags are bags I've purchased inexpensively either on sale or on the pre-loved market. I use contemporary designer bags, so I'm not talking LV or anything here. They're generally less than $50. They tend to be convenient bags, either with big-ish tote styles with long shoulder straps or easy small crossbodies, because I use them in times when I expect to need to be hands free.

For example, I got this Coach Kelsey for ~$25 on Poshmark. This one is super slouchy and easy to throw over my shoulder. I use a bag organizer with it to make it more convenient.
1605021467524.png

I got this Fossil Small Kinley for ~$46 on sale. I find Fossil's major holiday sales (e.g., 4th of July, Black Friday) tend to have some really great steals if I'm one of the first people to open the email before everything sells out.

1605021449863.png

And, I got both of my Longchamp Le Pliages on Poshmark for free using some Poshmark credits from "ambassador" campaigns (before they got rid of those). My Large Le Pliage was (pre-COVID) my daily work tote that I wasn't careful with at all. And, the small one is my travel purse, perfect for shoving under airplane seats and wearing when I'm with my nieces! And I use a bag organizer in both to make them less chaotic on the interior.

1605021520074.png

Reactions: GucciLouisFendiOhMy

alexsunny123

Nov 14, 2020
Do you have “beater” or “daily driver” bags you use more frequently than your special occasion ones? How many of your bags would you put in this category? What materials and price range so you usually have for a bag you don’t have to “worry about?”
thanks for the information.

Amazona

Crazy bird lady
Mar 31, 2013
Finland
I have several Kipling bags that are my beater bags. They take care of the business and the prices are low enough I don't spend too much time worrying over my bag.
Another bag I'm not too worried over is Coach Field tote 40, which is a bit of a combo of both beater and daily driver. It's one of the bags I use most often and since it's coated canvas I don't need to worry about rain, dirt of scratches.

elzi

Jul 31, 2012
My daily bag (also my work bag) is my Givenchy Pandora. My beater bag is my Balenciaga City which I bought preloved. I also put my Speedy B25 in both categories cos it's carefree.

rose60610

O.G.
Mar 8, 2011
Chicago
I have a very old Speedy 35 that actually still looks fine after years of abuse. It's like a Honda with over 200,000 miles on it and just refuses to die. I think it could get run over by 20 busses and still be OK. Then there's the black Le Pliage, another masochistic bag.

Joule

Jan 14, 2016
I have a very old Speedy 35 that actually still looks fine after years of abuse. It's like a Honda with over 200,000 miles on it and just refuses to die. I think it could get run over by 20 busses and still be OK. Then there's the black Le Pliage, another masochistic bag.
I love this comment.

Lake Effect

Feb 25, 2017
The Garden State
It's like a Honda with over 200,000 miles on it and just refuses to die.
The above describes the majority of my bags! I've spent the last few years indulging myself in vintage Coach, the unlined heavy full grain leather versions from the 80s and 90s. Some I acquired in like new condition, some that look very good after after cleaning and deep conditioning and some that are distressed to perfection. The vast majority of them cost less than $75.
I have picked up several pre-loved more contemporary Coach as well. They're my fancy girls.

Reactions: rose60610

Shelby33

maladjusted
Sep 12, 2015
Boston
My beater bags are Linea Pelle washed leather, amazing leather and you can throw them in the washing machine.