Dad dumps pre-schooler: update on the baby hatch in japan

Liberté

O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
I believe there was a thread on the "new box for unwanted babies "s system a while ago; now this happened:

Dad dumps preschooler in box for unwanted newborns
TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A Japanese drop box for unwanted babies triggered a wave of nationwide soul searching Wednesday, a day after it was discovered a preschooler -- and not an infant -- had been dumped there by his father on its first day of operation.
Nationally circulated newspapers warned that the anonymous drop-off, known as "Stork's Cradle," is open for abuse and could traumatize youngsters. They also condemned the father, saying his action could spur copycats.
The drop-off was opened last Thursday by the Catholic-run Jikei Hospital in the southern city of Kumamoto to discourage abortions and the abandonment of children in unsafe public places. The same day, a boy believed to be 3 was found inside.
The boy, who was in good health, reportedly said he was dropped off by his father, who was seen holding the youngster's hand as they approached the hospital. They apparently rode Japan's bullet train to Kumamoto, but it was unclear where they lived.
"I came with Daddy," the boy was quoted as saying by the Mainichi newspaper.
The find triggered a wave of outrage among political leaders on Tuesday, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe saying "Anonymously throwing out a child is unacceptable." He urged parents to consult social workers for help if raising children gets too tough.
Local media reported that the boy was able to identify himself by name. But it was unclear whether the father had been identified.
The hospital has refused to comment on the case, citing privacy concerns, but said there were age limits on its drop-off service.
Police have decided no crime was committed in the current case because the child was left in a situation in which it was not exposed to immediate harm, Kyodo News reported Wednesday.
"We must rethink the meaning of the baby drop-off," the conservative Sankei newspaper said in an editorial. "Unlike a baby, a toddler may suffer from trauma."
"This little boy must be experiencing great loneliness. We urge his mother or father to come forward," the newspaper said, calling his abandonment "unforgivable."
The Yomiuri newspaper said it was too early to judge the baby-drop, but said that it must be used for its original purpose of receiving newborns, not young children. Parents should also be encouraged to seek outside help before dumping their offspring.
The Mainichi said the misuse of the box could inspire copycats.
A small hatch on the side of the hospital has been set up to allow people to drop off babies into an incubator 24 hours a day.
The drop box was created after a series of high-profile cases in which newborn babies were left behind in parks and supermarkets, triggering a public outcry and government warnings against abandoning babies.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/16/baby.drop.ap/index.html
It's very hard for anyone to preven this from happening without ruining the anonymacy of the baby drop-off and then the point would be lost.

I think that a baby "drop" is the best strategy to combat infanticide; I hope negative sentiment will not build against this preventative measure just because it was abused once.

OMG A three year old? How horrible for that little boy. At least a newborn does not know what is going on. But at three he is quite aware that daddy dumped him. Poor baby.

if people can't handle children they shouldn't have any. i honestly think that some people have this dream about being a parent, and once it gets too much they just do anything. recently here parents left their little girls in the forest bec they hadn't tidied their room - and luckily a lady walking by dropped them at the police, but the parents went to collect them after hours and they weren't there, obviously. what are people thinking???????? please people like this shouldn't have children if they cant manage, or dont want to. anyway, i believe that what goes around, comes around. wonder how dad will feel if this son drops him at the old people's place when he gets unconvenient. we have the baby hatches over here, but rarely children get left. unfortunately there is still a lot of violence towards children, or dead babies - again, don't have children or better, be celibate if you can't manage birth control. (sorry, OT but really, this gets my blood boiling) mind you, at least the father just dropped his child off, rather than hurt him.

And it really pisses me off when I can't have my own children, and some of the people that can treat them horribly! It's just not fair!

That father doesn't deserve that little boy! But, oh, his poor mother!

I understand everyones point of view..but what if this dad was living in poverty and was on his own? What if the mother was not around and what if she past away? You never know..maybe he was hoping that was a better idea to let him go and hoping his kid will be better taken care of and getting fed..an education..etc...

I understand everyones point of view..but what if this dad was living in poverty and was on his own? What if the mother was not around and what if she past away? You never know..maybe he was hoping that was a better idea to let him go and hoping his kid will be better taken care of and getting fed..an education..etc...
Good point. Okay, I'm tweaking my answer: if putting him there was some kind of odd, harsh form of punishment for something the little boy did, then that would be really cruel. If the father / parents honestly couldn't care for the child but wanted to make sure he was well taken care of, then he did the right thing.

Yeah, the Japanese govt just approved to start this and this was one of the first example... So as said in the news some are re-thinking or at least revising this plan. Can you imagine the trauma this little boy is experiencing? I don't think they have yet to locate the dad... The little boy was able to identify himself with a name and how he came (via the Shinkansen)... How sad... SIGH...