D#@! gerbils keep dieing!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. We had one gerbil, a female who lived alone for 3 years until she died-she was our very first gerbil. We had bought her at a locally owned pet store that is no longer in business. After she died, we adopted 2 gerbils from a woman who had a ton in her home, we never knew what sex they were, but, they lived about a year (one for a year, one for about a year and a half.

Now, just this past December, we bought 2 gerbils from the local Petland store-both of these guys were boys and young. One died under mysterious circumstances about a month and a half ago-and, i am pretty sure the 2nd one is dead in the tank right now (I haven't seen him for a couple of days-banging on the tank is not rousing him-and, no, I am not about to dig around looking for a body right now).

So, WTH?? Why can't we keep any gerbils alive? we were able to keep the first one alive for 3 years! We aren't doing anything different with the ones we have gotten since then-what is the problem? Am I just getting a bad batch?

2. Hm...any chance they were sick?

3. Do you thoroughly clean the cage between sets of gerbils? I wonder it is it something they are picking up from the cage? Seems like the average lifespan is supposed to be 2-4 years.

4. I have no clue! this one in particular I saw eating and drinking two days ago-and, running on the wheel. So-I don't think he was sick. It's just driving me nuts and now I have to once again tell my son that a gerbil died-ugh-it's the worst! I think we are going to stop with the gerbils for a while now.

As for cleaning the cage between sets-yes, I scrupously clean it and even run the water bottle and the food dish through the dishwasher.

5. What do you clean the cage with? I know most cleaning agents can be toxic for them. Maybe it had something to do with the cleaning solution?

6. What type of bedding are you using? Wood/cedar chips tend to give them breathing issues.

7. Did you maybe give them a veggie that gerbils can't have?

IE chocolate for dogs, etc.??

8. We use this bedding that is like torn up paper towels (I can't remember the name now)-it is supposed to be really good for them for breathing issues. As for what I cleaned the tank with-the last time the gerbils died, I cleaned it out with natural orange oil cleaning stuff-it didn't have any other substances in it.

9. that would make sense too-but, i only feed the gerbils gourmet quality pre-prepared gerbil food. they don't get any other things to eat. I wish it were something like that!

10. Any way your kids might be squeezing them/handling them too roughly (no offense)?

If not, then it sounds like maybe a genetic thing, or possibly tumors...it sounds like you are doing everything right, so it has to be something internally wrong with them, I would guess :sad:

Not fun for you or the kiddos :sad:

11. Gosh darnit Nishi is sounds like you taking care of them too well! :lol:

That's everything I can think of. :thinking: It might be as Couturegrl mentioned - some genetic defect. Sorry that your kids have to go through these losses. :sad:

12. well they are bred, bred, and bred over again so I wouldn't doubt that they would have neurological issues.

2 of my 5 hamsters have upped and died on me with no clue why