CZ for Gala/Cocktail, Classy or Tacky?

Jun 21, 2007
Am deciding on statement jewelry to go with a dress for upcoming holiday parties, and am thinking this CZ necklace and stud earrings reflect nicely with the silver metallic threads in the pink dress. My social circle knows I do not have the multi-millions for a real diamond necklace of this dimension.

They are very high quality CZ and the rhodium setting does not appear cheap at all, however is it tacky to wear CZ as an adult in costume jewelry that you cannot come close to affording in the fine version?

I have been slowly collecting classic, delicate, everyday fine and diamond pieces, which is all I usually wear, but feel this neckline and festive occasion calls for something a bit more. The closest thing otherwise I have for a true statement piece is the Van Cleef guilloche 10 motif in yellow gold - would this be a better choice? My shoes and clutch are champagne and can go with either the rhodium or yellow gold. Please help me choose a jewelry set for this dress! Will be leaving hair down in curls.

cz_full.jpg cz1.jpg gui.jpg gui_full.jpg

Reactions: lv.uni.girl
Am deciding on statement jewelry to go with a dress for upcoming holiday parties, and am thinking this CZ necklace and stud earrings reflect nicely with the silver metallic threads in the pink dress. My social circle knows I do not have the multi-millions for a real diamond necklace of this dimension.

They are very high quality CZ and the rhodium setting does not appear cheap at all, however is it tacky to wear CZ as an adult in costume jewelry that you cannot come close to affording in the fine version?

I have been slowly collecting classic, delicate, everyday fine and diamond pieces, which is all I usually wear, but feel this neckline and festive occasion calls for something a bit more. The closest thing otherwise I have for a true statement piece is the Van Cleef guilloche 10 motif in yellow gold - would this be a better choice? My shoes and clutch are champagne and can go with either the rhodium or yellow gold. Please help me choose a jewelry set for this dress! Will be leaving hair down in curls.

View attachment 4289999 View attachment 4290000 View attachment 4290001 View attachment 4290002
I would wear and rock the CZs

In this outfit with your silver jimmy choo shoes and silvery pink dress, the CZ jewellery looks better and more fun. The necklace also compliments the neckline. They look very uniform with this outfit. Wear costume jewellery and fine jewellery! Life is too short to stick to fine jewellery only! There are some days you want to wear designer shoes, some days you want to wear comfy slippers, Nikes.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I am going to go with the CZ set :biggrin: The guilloche will have plenty of opportunities to be worn on another day/night.

The CZ look very nice with this dress! Holiday parties are meant to have fun and wear costume jewelry you would not necessarily wear everyday.

Yes, very true. I love the sparkle of the CZ set and definitely can't wear it every day, so will be excited to take it out for a spin.

In this outfit with your silver jimmy choo shoes and silvery pink dress, the CZ jewellery looks better and more fun. The necklace also compliments the neckline. They look very uniform with this outfit. Wear costume jewellery and fine jewellery! Life is too short to stick to fine jewellery only! There are some days you want to wear designer shoes, some days you want to wear comfy slippers, Nikes.

Wise words, thanks. Good eye on the Choos. Actually that's my main criteria for most things - comfy and easy to wear! Which is why pretty shoes are tough in particular...

Reactions: chessmont
I would wear the VCA and change your shoes. VCA classes things up. Blingy CZ looks cheap, regardless of how high quality the CZ is.

If you have real pieces, wear them. VCA is beautiful, I would never choose fake jewelry over VCA.

I also think fake bold bling looks very frumpy and tacky. Definitely not classy to answer your question.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: GoldFish8
I love your dress! Personally,I think the dress makes such a statement you do not need a necklace...a necklace is overkill for the total look. But the flower earrings are perfect for the dress. But don’t wear a necklace with those earrings either...

I would wear the VCA and change your shoes. VCA classes things up. Blingy CZ looks cheap, regardless of how high quality the CZ is.

If you have real pieces, wear them. VCA is beautiful, I would never choose fake jewelry over VCA.

I also think fake bold bling looks very frumpy and tacky. Definitely not classy to answer your question.

Just my two cents.

Ah, that is my dilemma. I have a lot of nice fine jewelry, but of course not the size of diamond that I have in CZ. The shoes match both gold and silver. Tt may not come across as much in photos, but that isn't an issue.

I love your dress! Personally,I think the dress makes such a statement you do not need a necklace...a necklace is overkill for the total look. But the flower earrings are perfect for the dress. But don’t wear a necklace with those earrings either...

Thank you, I love the dress too! Here is a photo of the dangling flower CZ earrings without a necklace. Do you feel that the neckline is a bit bare without a necklace? I do notice that most celebrities on the red carpet will only wear one or two pieces of jewelry, but of course they have the real diamond and gemstones lent to them. bare.jpg

Reactions: NY2LA
Ah, that is my dilemma. I have a lot of nice fine jewelry, but of course not the size of diamond that I have in CZ. The shoes match both gold and silver. Tt may not come across as much in photos, but that isn't an issue.

There’s nothing tacky about cz. And frankly I can’t even imagine anyone saying that. I have very fine jewelry and cz as well. Go for it. You’ll look beautiful.

Reactions: HauteMama
Thank you, I love the dress too! Here is a photo of the dangling flower CZ earrings without a necklace. Do you feel that the neckline is a bit bare without a necklace? I do notice that most celebrities on the red carpet will only wear one or two pieces of jewelry, but of course they have the real diamond and gemstones lent to them. View attachment 4291714
I like the earrings in your second photo in your first post but the dangling ones are nice, too. I don’t think the neckline looks barr at all. A necklace would just distract from the pretty dress. Sometimes less is more. Don’t take your fashion cues from celebrities...most of them have no class.

I don't find anything wrong with wearing cz's. However, personally for me, I'd rather wear nothing than wear cz's. I prefer fine jewelry or costume jewelry that doesn't reflect faux diamonds. As for the dilemma, I think you can go both ways and either set of jewelry works with your outfit.