Cycling with your dog

fluffly

Apr 23, 2006
How many of you have been doing this?
What age was your dog when you decided it was time to cycle?

I took my pup for a cycle today. it was just a short distance. He seem to not mind the bike so i took him to the park with it. He's 5 months now and he is big so energetic and tend to pull alot. I found at some points he was using his body weight to stop me.:P Who needs a brake!?!

I've only ever seen one other person in my town who cycle with her dog but keeps it off the leash. I didn't do this as my dog has no understanding of dangers in road yet.

What do you use to keep your dog with you whilst cycling or do you just tie him/her in your bike? Cesar Milan seems to just tie his dogs to his bike but ive been seeing a few gadgets online and wonder if they are any use.

My old roommate used to take my first dog out with his skateboard. Boomer would just pull him around and he loved it! My boyfriend takes Dusty with him on his bike, and he holds one end of the leash and rides with one hand on the handlebars. Seems very awkward, so they take it slow. They're still working on taking corners :smile:

No i haven't used any attachment yet. I tied his leash on my bike but find myself worrying about him getting too close or going to far from me, even if he hasn't done none of those in our cycle. He took to them more naturally than i would hope. I think I need something for the bike even if its just to make me feel better.:sweatdrop:
This morning i took him out in garden, he would usually run around but when he saw my bike he sat beside it looking at me. I'm taking that good sign.:biggrin:

Boomie sounds so much fun. If i could roller skate i would but iknow Ben could drag me on the road.
I tried saying left or right when turning but its early days. He knows 'back-up'.

I plan on starting training Amy when she is around 18 months old. That's the earliest my vet recommends for her breed. I will probably really start cycling with her when she is two years old. I don't want to damage her bones and joints and I will let her grow up a bit more before I start.

I would not let my dog run off leash eather.

I think cycling is a great exercise if the dog likes it. :tup:

just be careful!!! i've heard stories of dogs pulling their owners over on their bikes because they got excited about something.

and also i lived in an apartment complex once and witness a girl on a bike with her dog on the leash, a car came by and then dog jerked and she almost flew off her bike.

i think i could only do this if my dog was very well trained to stay nearby

Lakritze what breed is your dog?
I tried to cycle at his pace but he does stop have good sniff about. We nearly cycled most of the way to the park yesterday and a little today which is a block away from our house and that seem to be fine. When he got home he had a spurt of energy then goes for a nap.
I am worried about his bones too. My vet didn't say much about distance he can take. The vet did say to me to introduce the bike now.

ILuvshopping, I was hoping some equipment would help absorb any sudden jerks. Luckily he isn't strong enough to pull my bike. I was hoping since we've started now he would get use to not pulling me.

He did stay with me when i let him off his leash inside the enclosed park. We were the only ones, so there wasn't any distractions. I wanted to see what he would do. I know it was risky. Come to think of it if there was people there he would go and say hi to them and forget i was there. I am lucky as he is calm and isn't overly excitable.

I don't think i will be cycling with him everyday after what Lakritze vet said.

fluffly, Amy is an American Bulldog. She is now 12 months old and currently weighs 72 lbs. They are late bloomers and take quite some time to mature.

I went cycling with one of my previous dogs and we startet very slowly when he was about a year old. I was walking the bike with my dog on a leash on the other side of the bike (like he would be later on). He was getting used to walking next to the bike and I taught him commands like slow, left, right and stop. We would also go cycling out in the pasture and there he could run off leash.

The spring bike attachment aklein recommended is great. It will release your dog if he pulls hard. You can secure him with a second leash you keep in your hand (not wrapped around your wrist) so you can still control him in case he pulls out of the spring attachment.

I'm sure your dog will have lots of fun cycling with you! It's a great way for your dog to get some extra exercise if he likes it.