Cutting a maxi dress down to knee length dress?

Has anyone done this? Do you think it s possible and would the proportions would be alright? i have this dress and really like it for summer. But, the maxi style feels a little dated and I think it would be more versatile shorter.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...tnerID=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc=LINKSHARE-_-n-_-n-_-n

I did this last summer with a high-low dress I had and it turned out fine. My concerns are: 1) how high does that slit comes up b/c you would have to cut it at that level otherwise a 3 inch slit will look akward with the flowy cut of the dress 2) if the dress is lined, you would be best to have it done by a professional so that it is even.
That being said I love that maxi the way it is and don't think it looks outdated at all. The only thing I would change is that instead of having the bow in the front, I'd tie it in the back.

Thanks. I love the dress but find I don't wear it very often at this length. I do always wear it tied it the back- that looks much better.
I played around with taping it up and it actually looks great at mid calf, with the slit and just above the knee. Right now it is hemmed to wear with heels. The silk fabric and cut make it too dressy to wear casually with flat sandals. But with heels it feels wrong for summer nights out( too much, a lot of fabric) and a maxi feels wrong or summer weddings and events. I only wear it on vacation!

I would definitely have a professional cut and hem it -i am concerned about ruining it.

Gorgeous dress - if you go to a professional they usually can determine the correct length to cut...I've shortened things before, and they usually work out fine.

In that case I absolutely understand where you're coming from. I have a "dressy" maxi that I love but don't get to wear as often. If you go to a tailor - they will probably give you the best advice. Good luck and be sure to post your "after" shots!

This dress is really nice. I would suggest trying to tie a knot on one side to shorten the dress without alterations expense, and may give you the look you are after.

I've found someone I trust to do the alteration and I'm hoping to take it today. I don't think I look terrible in a maxi but it's not the ideal cut for my petite figure. I love the dress and am hoping to wear it a lot more now.

lovely dress. i would recommend seeing a professional tailor for the alteration. i've had to shorten a few skirts and dresses and really botched a job myself before having everything professionally tailored afterwards. it would be a shame to ruin such a pretty dress.