Cuticles and sheer polish questions

Rhayne

Jan 27, 2012
Hello everyone. I have two questions.

1. What is a good cuticle oil or hand cream that will help with mild to moderately dry cuticles?
2. I was told the whites of my nails are nice and with a sheer polish of some sort that they'd look like french manicures. Does anyone have suggestions for a nice sheer polish?

One last thing, I don't mean to sound cheap but I'm looking for inexpensive but good quality products. So please don't suggest that I go out and buy a polish that costs 25+ dollars. Also hopefully ya'll can suggest products that I can readily find too like at a drugstore or my local Ulta/Sephora.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 274
Solar oil is good to me you just have to apply it consistently. Vitamin E would also work great and is cheap.

Essie Mademoiselle is a nice sheer color but has more of a pink tint.

Cheap price but decent quality? Let's see... Sinful Colors, Pure Ice, Wet N Wild. Sometimes you can get them for a buck. Pure Ice is Walmart's brand but I've been pretty impressed with the selection and quality. You can probably get some good sheers there.

I picked up Essie's Mademoiselle and Marshmallow today. I couldn't decide when I was in Ulta, I wanted to buy all of them lol.

When I said cheap I didn't mean 1.00 cheap lol. I've tried a few wet and wild ones and haven't had good experiences with them. I just wasn't looking for 40 dollar polishes. :biggrin:

^^Great picks! Essie Marshmallow is one of my favs. If you have trouble with streaking for any shear polishes, it can help to use a matte top coat as a basecoat. Some people also use a thin coat of matte top coat between layers. (It helps the polish adhere without pooling or creating bald spots if you put too much pressure on the brush).

With your naturally bright white tip & nice, even smile line (the border btwn white & pink), you actually already have one style of french mani that's popular with many ladies-- stark white tip & clear polish. (There are a lot of "French mani" styles & sometimes when there's only a subtle tip it's called an "American mani". Go figure :P )... Really, a couple of coats of any sheer pink, clear, or rose-tinted clear will look beautiful on you. I'm envious!

For cuticle care, try using what you have on slightly damp hands. After you wash your hands, leave them a little damp & massage in your oil/cream to seal in the moisture & provide emollients (softening ingredients). For a double whammy, you can then apply something that has any kind "wax" in the ingredients (like Burt Bees cuticle balm) to seal in that goodness overnight.

Last edited:
^^Great picks! Essie Marshmallow is one of my favs. If you have trouble with streaking for any shear polishes, it can help to use a matte top coat as a basecoat. Some people also use a thin coat of matte top coat between layers. (It helps the polish adhere without pooling or creating bald spots if you put too much pressure on the brush).

With your naturally bright white tip & nice, even smile line (the border btwn white & pink), you actually already have one style of french mani that's popular with many ladies-- stark white tip & clear polish. (There are a lot of "French mani" styles & sometimes when there's only a subtle tip it's called an "American mani". Go figure :P )... Really, a couple of coats of any sheer pink, clear, or rose-tinted clear will look beautiful on you. I'm envious!

For cuticle care, try using what you have on slightly damp hands. After you wash your hands, leave them a little damp & massage in your oil/cream to seal in the moisture & provide emollients (softening ingredients). For a double whammy, you can then apply something that has any kind "wax" in the ingredients (like Burt Bees cuticle balm) to seal in that goodness overnight.

Thank you.
I saw matte top coats at target last night and thought, i gotta look those up when i get home. Most of my nails are quite white like the pic i posted but i have a couple that are lighter and do not much. On days I do have just a clear coat on they all dont match, i guess thats why I got the marshmallow. I saw the burts bees balm in target too but wasn't sure about it. Thanks again!

I picked up Essie's Mademoiselle and Marshmallow today. I couldn't decide when I was in Ulta, I wanted to buy all of them lol.

When I said cheap I didn't mean 1.00 cheap lol. I've tried a few wet and wild ones and haven't had good experiences with them. I just wasn't looking for 40 dollar polishes. :biggrin:
Before I started doing SOG's (gel polish) these were my go-to's for a french mani. I don't like my white to be "striking white/white out white" and marshmallow is the perfect not-too-white natural looking white. And Mademoiselle is a fantastic sheer base for a french mani.

I still use this combo on my mom and some of my friends who like french mani's but don't want gel polish.

Thank you.
I saw matte top coats at target last night and thought, i gotta look those up when i get home. Most of my nails are quite white like the pic i posted but i have a couple that are lighter and do not much. On days I do have just a clear coat on they all dont match, i guess thats why I got the marshmallow. I saw the burts bees balm in target too but wasn't sure about it. Thanks again!
I haven't looked at all the posts here but since you mentioned Berts Bees I thought I would too. In my experience and I am terribly particular about my cuticles, it is the best there is. I used to cut them myself and was never satisfied with anyone else doing them and I cut myself several times, this stuff is fantastic, even my nail tech was shocked when she saw the results.
If anyone uses this product and lives in Europe please let me know where I can purchase it, I've only found online stores but have to order from the UK and would prefer to buy it whenever needed, I usually buy a ton of it if ordered online.