cute but expensive....sunglasses?

IMO, they aren't worth it. I have a pair of Valentino aviators that my sister got me from Neiman Marcus and this pair I got at a thrift store, and I can't tell any difference, quality-wise. Sunglasses and smaller accessories are how big-name brands make real money, next to cosmetics, by being able to reach a broader market than, say, the clothes. And for some reason, most people are ambivalent of buying designer clothes, but aren't hesitant to buying expensive designer accessories. I just don't think they're worth it, but if you do and you're happy with them, then congrats :tup:

IMO, they aren't worth it. I have a pair of Valentino aviators that my sister got me from Neiman Marcus and this pair I got at a thrift store, and I can't tell any difference, quality-wise. Sunglasses and smaller accessories are how big-name brands make real money, next to cosmetics, by being able to reach a broader market than, say, the clothes. And for some reason, most people are ambivalent of buying designer clothes, but aren't hesitant to buying expensive designer accessories. I just don't think they're worth it, but if you do and you're happy with them, then congrats :tup:

^ITA with everything you said.

Most designers don't even manufacture their own sunglasses. They have other companies like Safilo do it for them. These companies also manufacture lower end glasses in the same factories, so you really are just paying for the designer name.

I have Gucci shades that I got on clearance for $120 and I used to have Juicy shades that I got for $75. They were both made by Safilo and honestly, I thought the Juicy glasses were nicer. I don't really see why anyone would pay the full $300 for the Gucci glasses.

I honestly don't even like them that much. They're just plastic... $120 worth of plastic, nothing special. I probably won't buy designer glasses again. Besides the logo, there's nothing that sets them apart from the cheaper ones I've tried. But what other people do with their money is fine with me... :shrugs:

I used to think that there wasn't any difference between the cheap ones and the designer ones until I got a pair of designer sunglasses.

Oh. My.

I had Lasik in 2004 and I promised myself if I didn't freak out, I'd buy those Dolce & Gabbana wild sunglasses I'd seen in a magazine ad (I do *not* do dr. stuff at all. Utterly phobic. But I was in danger of not passing my driver's license eyetest so I was stuck between a rock and a hard place).

Lasik went fine. I called the phone number in the magazine ad to find a pair and didn't get much help. I was going to New York so figured I'd find them there if they were anywhere to be had. I hit a couple of stores, no luck, sold out, yadda yadda, then went to Bergdorf Goodman. The SA asked if he could help me and I unfolded the magazine ad from my purse and said "I want these".

He had them. He was my new best friend. I actually squee'd much to the amusement of a friend who was with me. I had no idea how much they cost (I was guessing $250 - $300) and didn't ask before plopping down my plastic, when I looked down and was signing for a $400+tax charge. I didn't even care. I was soooo happy.

I thought I'd just like them for their quirky looks (they're the 653S style), but was stunned when I put them on and found how differently they fit from the cheap ones. For one, they *fit*, no sitting crooked on my face or fuzzy lenses. No looseness of the arms, nor pinching of my head.

It was love. Total fashion accessory love. I was hooked.

I was so hooked I bought a second pair in another color pattern (half price, after they were yesterday's news), and the following year bought a pair of basic black Chanel 5019 (for when the bright mod print just doesn't work). Same wonderful fit and clarity of lenses.

It could be a YMMV thing, or brand-dependent, but I'm sold on them.

EXACTLY what i was going to say!

Through trial and error (and, boy, did I ever try!) I discovered Louis Vuitton sunglasses and I must tell you I will never go back to any other brand. They are a little pricey but, IMO, totally worth it. I used to have multiple pairs of sunnies in my closet but now I only have two pairs that I wear ALL the time. Both are the same style but one is black and the other one is brown. When it comes to sunglasses, the main factor (for me) is comfort when I wear them and those are SUPER comfortable. Not too heavy and not too tight.:tup:

I love sunglasses, but need to have prescription lenses. The cost of the frames plus the lenses easily goes into the $300+ range, for a pair of Italian made Persols. I'd like something with a bit more pizazz, but the prices make me :crybaby:

i've just had the one pair of chanels. i don't even use the case, and they haven't changed form for me at all. i find that they fit better on my face than most cheaper versions, so i love mine. i prolli wouldn't buy too many at a time, but i def think they are worth it. i mean, you're already spending thousands upon thousands on bags..why not for another accessory you'd use almost everyday?

I agree.

Do you think expensive sunnies are worth the money? I am up in arms on this one??? Could we please discuss what all you think on this one? I mean they are....PLASTIC!

Most of them are made from plastic, however, are all the sunglasses well made or have enough UV protection? are all made for real faces and not for robots features like many out there feel like?
My answer is NO, saddly for my wallet, but I find expensive sunglasses more suitable for me than cheaper brands, quality is great, they feel lighter on my face, most of them very durable..perhaps I have a pair of Chanel 5076 that I can't complain about, they are strong, they have enough UV protection, easy on my face and flattering, I just can't find that perfect combination on cheaper brands, I also own Etro, Raybans, Tom Ford, Oliver Peoples, Gucci sunglasses and I am very happy with all of them.

I tried on cheaper versions and saddly they are not good enough for me, after all.. my eyes are precious to me..so I don't hesitate to pay the best to protect them.

I think they're worth the price, yes. :smile: I love the whole "high/low" mix, and my accessories (bags) always cost more than any one piece of clothing I might be wearing. :P Plus IMO, a great pair of sunnies (or a bag) can really make an outfit... you can wear a pair of jeans and a simple tee with some fabulous Chanel sunglasses, for example, and it would look great. :smile: Since all of my sunnies are expensive, I'd freak if I lost them... I keep them their case, and stick the case in my bag... I've never lost a pair yet (thankfully)! :smile:

You should probably try on a few different brands and styles... I think designer sunnies just look nicer overall... better (higher quality) material, UV protection (which many cheap frames claim to have and don't :sad:), frames that fit your face well, and of course, they're chic! :tup: