Cut in leather that goes through chain handle!

It's really sad to hear this...but here is another reason for me on not getting a patent bag...
OP, have you consider to exchange to a non-patent bag? As it seems this is a common issue that happens to patent bags.

I have the same issue with my patent as well,
as much as i love chanel i have to say their quality before is much better then now, actully everything is this way nowadays!! But when i pay $3700/$4200 for a handbag i think it should be super perfect! Not just perfect!
I am a chanel addict for more then 12 years and i will be 40 more years from now (if i still be here)but i wish if monsieur karl go to the factory him self and give the maneger there a big spanky...looooooooooool

Yes indeedy it has happened and did -- it was my precious L/E Mobile Art red patent that the strap was totally a mess. It finally went to Paris where they made a new strap and it's fine but it took 9 months -- that's right 9 flipping months -- the time it takes to make a baby -- to get it fixed, not to mention a dumptruck of angst, phone calls, and finally giving up before Chanel agreed to send it to Paris.

So to your issue, either turn it in for another, if there is one, or take the refund, or be persistent as all get out and have a hell of a lot of patience with that determination. Wishing you the best, good luck in the fight.

Yes indeedy it has happened and did -- it was my precious L/E Mobile Art red patent that the strap was totally a mess. It finally went to Paris where they made a new strap and it's fine but it took 9 months -- that's right 9 flipping months -- the time it takes to make a baby -- to get it fixed, not to mention a dumptruck of angst, phone calls, and finally giving up before Chanel agreed to send it to Paris.

So to your issue, either turn it in for another, if there is one, or take the refund, or be persistent as all get out and have a hell of a lot of patience with that determination. Wishing you the best, good luck in the fight.

Thankyou jmen. I actually called Chanel and I need to speak to head office, and there not there till Monday now so will have to wait till then.

The replacement bag isn't as bad as the first one I had but still can see a little cut in it. I wouldn't be suprised this happening if I had it for years and was using it every single day but for a bag that I'd just taken out of the box and at the prices they charge, this shouldn't have happened really.
The prices go up but the quality seems to be getting worse.
Well they get away with it because people like us are going crazy purchasing them.
I love the bag I really do but very upset about this.

Update on my bag!

I told you that the store in the UK said that I need to call head office on Monday (tomorrow), but I also emailed the person I purchased the bag from in Hawaii. She's such a nice lady (well she is American after all). I wish the sales assistants here were as nice as the Americans. She gave us her email so we could keep in touch. I just wish it was under better circumstances.
Well anyway she said that I could send the bag back and they will pay for the shipping back to the U.S, and she could give me a full refund (which I don't really want) because I want the bag. Or she could try and get me another bag.

I really don't know what to do though. Shall I wait to call head office in my country first?

Rivers Girl - especially this season it seems like all the patent flaps were are made that way (every other one I came across had those fine splits somewhere on the strap). So I am not sure of what the chances are of your SA in finding one without.. It is from manufacturing, because of stiffness of the patent hence usually seen around stitching points or curved areas. I have seen this on older patent flaps too sometimes since they were new. But I had not seen one that opened up or or got worse, so I believe this is just cosmetic and should not affect usage. I hope this helps :smile:

Last edited:
Hi lovensparkle, thanks for your post :smile:.
I know the more I have tried to research this the more I hear people say its normal to find these splits on the bag. A lot of people say there patent chanel has splits e.t.c.
Even if it is a normal thing to have on the bag and it won't affect the usage of it, I still find it extremely hard to believe this would be on a $4,100 Chanel bag.

I have bought many designer bags. Chloe, Louis Vuitton, Lanvin, Marc Jacobs and not one of them had a fault on them when I purchased it.

That aside I love this bag and don't feel I can part with it. I will just take extra care of it, and I baby all my bags like crazy!

Would it help if you try to blowdry it on low setting for just a bit, isnt it supposed to soften the patent and make it a bit more pliable?

I know I read that somewhere but I havent tried it

I have two patent Jumbo...red chevy and mauve chevy and I don't really think this problem is that common. My red chevy has perfect chain, no cuts, no enlarged holes, and it's made out of one continuous leather.

My mauve on the other hand has one part where a piece of leather is glued on to the body of the leather, but there are no cuts or enlarged holes.