customs is so STUPID!!!

I shipped stuff to my friends all over the world and received lots of things from them but I've never had any problem with custom.

Lyn2005 said:
It arrived today, with several foreign stamps on it. Turns out it had been mistakenly sent to Jamaica, then bypassed thru customs with no problems, and reached me in perfect condition. No tax, no nothing.

Wow, what a trip your earrings had had. :biggrin:

Lyn2005 said:
Well, customs is ALL over the place when it comes to packages.

I purchased a $489 pair of earrings from the States, and had it shipped to a friend in the USA to ship to me. She wrote "magazine", and a declared value of $35 and "gift", no insurance purchased. Now you have to realize that whenever you're doing customs tax evasion, you're always taking a risk that it might get confiscated or lost. After a month and a half, I'd given up on it, and chalked it up to my bad luck.

It arrived today, with several foreign stamps on it. Turns out it had been mistakenly sent to Jamaica, then bypassed thru customs with no problems, and reached me in perfect condition. No tax, no nothing.

When I had my Spy bag shipped into me from states, the girl who custom purchased it for me also wrote "gift" , and "used handbag", declared value = $50. The less detail you give them (leather, designer brand, etc) the less likely they are to tax you or give you hassles at customs

You are so right. The more general the information the better it goes. I have never had a problem and also use Canada Post when possible. In another thread a PF member labelled the package "Louis Vuitton ______" and it went "missing". The customs people have the right to seize whatever they want. They can also be bad when trying to cross the border.

I have found UPS to be the easiest to deal with when it comes to items from abroad. I have also been asked by Fedex for my social security number which bothered me. UPS once overcharged me for duty on an antique item and when I called them about it, they were really nice. I had a refund check from them in the mail within a couple weeks. I think since 9/11 and the Patriot Act, this stuff has come under more scrutiny.

i havent had a bag expericence yet with customs but im sure if i keep buying bags from all over the world, something will happen....

im really sorry to hear what has happened! i hope everything works out.

***hugs***

My package came via USPS from Canada that a fellow PF member paid Expedited shipping to US for. It was supposed to get to me in 2-3 days or so. I got it almost 3 weeks later but I was just glad (we both are!). We didn't want to go through the hassle of filing a claim. She got it insured so if we had to, it would've been done but I have my bag here now.

fr2nc1z said:
^ Oh I put it in the wrong list! Thanks for catching that.. Btw, PM me next time.. Its not really related to the thread..
------------------------

So a tax number is for noncitizens who have to pay taxes? Still dont get it lol. Oh well...

eh