~The SHIPPING from Canada to USA thread~ vat, fees, couriers etc...

stylefly- can you check your crystal ball again..lol :biggrin::flowers:
not sure if you can help me but im wondering...

Im sending something to the UK and the vaule is $600 do you know how much it will cost the reciever apx?

I tried the website for tarrifs & duties and i was confused:thinking:

The rules vary from country to country. The rules change from time to time. The rules vary depending on where the item was manufactured and what it is made of. The fee structure varies depending on which shipper us used. And, in many (probably most) countries fees are not applied uniformly or consistently. No wonder it can get confusing.

I have recently sold a bag on eBay and the buyer wanted me to declare the item as a gift with low value. I don't think I can declare it as low value item while at the same time insure it for a high amount. The problem is I have been trying to contact the seller but to no avail. What should I do?

I want a bag from Canada very badly, but when I checked with the customs and duty's charges estimate, I couldn't believe it was over twice the amount of the bags insurance value. Is that right? :cursing:
ya it can be that crazy...but it's all up to what your seller puts on the package as the value....if the seller is willing they can mark the value at 20$ and you wont get charged any duties but doing this you cannot get insurance so you take that risk....

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if there are any custom charges when shipping an item from Canada to the USA? Someone told me there aren't any!!! .. the item's value is $1000 and it wasn't declared as a gift nor as used ..
Thanks!!

I'm in the US and have never paid customs on anything being shipped to me from overseas...but I'm not sure if that's a "there is never customs on anything" or if the value is simply much higher than most countries.

I think it also depends on the shipping carrier. I have heard if you ship via FedEx, they will send the recipient a bill for customs owed. Not sure about UPS, but only have heard this about FedEx.

Why do you ask? Are you the sender or the possible recipient?

FedEx and UPS will likely STILL charge you a fee for getting it through customs, but when I looked it up if the item isn't restricted and it is < $1000 there isn't a customs fee listed for it coming via postal service.

*** I don't have experience, I just recently was expecting a LV from Canada so I looked up the customs rules on the .gov website.

When I purchased an item (for about $150) from Canada, I wasn't charged any customs. It was sent via Canada post/USPS so that may have something to do with it. I've heard that 3rd party carriers may charge customs though.

The item is being sent via Canada Post (Xpresspost) from Canada to the USA .. it was marked at $1000 and as "documents" I think .. do you think I will be charged customs fees? ..

Why did they mark it as documents? I can't be sure, don't know what customs will do if it is chosen to be opened and they find it is not documents.

Hopefully someone else who has bought a bag can comment on the amount of customs for an items declared at $1000.

my parents where charged customs, long time ago for a Murano glass Chandelier, but it was really expensive, big and we had to go to a hangar of usps in the airport to pick it up.

so a few weeks ago i bought a bag, and on Sept 10 it was mailed out. Seller is in Canada, i'm in the US, so it was sent "Expedited USA" via Canada Post. For the first week I was able to track it on Canada Post, but now that it has entered into the US, it does not provide any info (which doesn't surprise me, as the seller said that usually once it's in the US, it does not "track" again until it's delivered).

What confuses me though is why it now says "origin post is preparing shipment" as the LATEST update. :confused1: It didn't say that before, it just put that two days ago. It usually says that FIRST, when the seller is about to send the bag, no? or does that just mean that the bag has cleared customs in the US, and it is getting ready to be "re-sent" within the US?

these are the results i get when i track my bag via USPS

Detailed Results:
bullet_circle.gif
Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
bullet_circle.gif

Foreign International Dispatch, September 16, 2008, 7:42 am, TORONTO-A, CANADA
bullet_circle.gif

Foreign Acceptance, September 10, 2008, 5:48 pm, CANADA