Customs charges shipping from Canada to USA?

beautiful stranger

The Original Angel
Nov 27, 2005
Where it smells of hot cocoa
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if there are any custom charges when shipping an item from Canada to the USA? Someone told me there aren't any!!! .. the item's value is $1000 and it wasn't declared as a gift nor as used ..
Thanks!!

neatfreak

O.G.
Mar 21, 2008
I'm in the US and have never paid customs on anything being shipped to me from overseas...but I'm not sure if that's a "there is never customs on anything" or if the value is simply much higher than most countries.

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
Dovunque voglia andare
I think it also depends on the shipping carrier. I have heard if you ship via FedEx, they will send the recipient a bill for customs owed. Not sure about UPS, but only have heard this about FedEx.

Why do you ask? Are you the sender or the possible recipient?

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
FedEx and UPS will likely STILL charge you a fee for getting it through customs, but when I looked it up if the item isn't restricted and it is < $1000 there isn't a customs fee listed for it coming via postal service.

*** I don't have experience, I just recently was expecting a LV from Canada so I looked up the customs rules on the .gov website.

Kansashalo

D
O.G.
Sep 10, 2006
In the south
When I purchased an item (for about $150) from Canada, I wasn't charged any customs. It was sent via Canada post/USPS so that may have something to do with it. I've heard that 3rd party carriers may charge customs though.

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
The item is being sent via Canada Post (Xpresspost) from Canada to the USA .. it was marked at $1000 and as "documents" I think .. do you think I will be charged customs fees? ..
Why did they mark it as documents? I can't be sure, don't know what customs will do if it is chosen to be opened and they find it is not documents.

Hopefully someone else who has bought a bag can comment on the amount of customs for an items declared at $1000.

P

perruchin

my parents where charged customs, long time ago for a Murano glass Chandelier, but it was really expensive, big and we had to go to a hangar of usps in the airport to pick it up.