Customs and duties for bags bought from UK - Belen Echandia

ibis42

consumer
O.G.
Apr 23, 2007
Hi. To those who wondered if we were charged duties when we ordered bags from the UK (Belen Echandia): YES. I got a bill yesterday from DHL for $89.

I should have asked around from other tpf'ers if they were charged, but oh well. Expensive lesson learned.

With the $50 shipping plus $88 duties, I could have bought the bag here in SF.

Thanks for letting us know. How long did it take between the delivery and receiving the bill? In the future I may limit my BE purchases to U.S. stores, even though that limits the styles and colors.

I don't understand why my bill was so much higher. geez. Anyway, citychris: the sale was mid June, which is when I ordered the bag. The shipment arrived promptly. The bill, however, arrived a little over a month. That was a surprise to me. I remember some other members bought from the UK, but they never mentioned anything about the customs. I like your idea - if you are in the LA area, there are some boutiques that has the line. If you want to find out more, email belen echandia directly.

I couldn't help it, so I emailed Jackie of BE. She called DHL and found out they made a mistake on the tariff.
DHL still has to get back to me. It should have been about 8% of the purchase price, but somehow I was charged 20%.

I have to say, Jackie is awesome - she's so helpful and is truly a gem to work with.

Yeah, they charged me 20% too. I've already paid it, so don't know if anything can be done at this point, but at least I'll know for next time.

What???!!! So will DHL be mailing me a bill? And where do they mail it to? The delivery address?

Hi. Jackie says it is hit or miss. She had customers in the US that never got a customs bill. Yet, here I am. I was overcharged. :sad:

The DHL customs bill will be mailed to your delivery address.