Customised colored leather-edge sealant?

archangel

Aug 23, 2006
just wanted to share an interesting discovery (to me at least). I've always thought that the color of the sealant used to seal/coat the leather edges (eg. top and handles etc) was standardised based on the color of the leather. For instance, pure white bags would have white sealants, Gold, blue jeans etc would have the dark brown sealants etc.

My best friend just came back from Europe with her mom and unbeknownst to her DH she managed to get a rose dragee birkin (she was put on a purse ban by her DH). She was doing a quick reveal to me and as she hurriedly packed it away (as her DH was coming back), something caught my eyes. The color of the leather edge sealant on her RD birkin is a dark grey almost black! I have a RD kelly and the leather edges are a pale lilac greyish tone. Mika's blog shows a RD birkin with edges of similar pale lilac grey tone.

I have to say I actually like the contrast of the dark grey-black leather edge against the Rose Dragee color. It adds a touch of rocker chic to an otherwise girlish color. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take picture of the whole bag as she was in a hurry to pack the bag away from her DH!!!!!

Here's a quick shot (using my HP) of the top of the bag showing the dark grey leather edges

290251679.jpg

Here's mika's RD birkin showing the pale edges

290251728.jpg

Here's my RD kelly showing the conventional pale edges
290252261.jpg

Would it be fun to be able to choose the color of the sealants in addition to the color of the leathers? For instance, an white birkin with black sealants?

I love the contrasting edges on the RD, I think it is a beautiful touch.

For more on the edging process, called inking, have a look at Judy Bown's blog. She has a great article on it. I have posted this before, but this seems a good time for a refresher course!

http://www.bowndesigns.com/blog/2006/09/07/inking

She has another intersting article on zippers as well. Her bags are crafted in a manner much like Hermes...so it is interestint to read her insights...

What a cool discovery. I agree with Liberte... probably looks a lot better on lighter coloured bags. I noticed that my raisin has brown sealant too. I wouldn't have picked it, but I think it looks better than black.

I love the contrasting edges on the RD, I think it is a beautiful touch.

For more on the edging process, called inking, have a look at Judy Bown's blog. She has a great article on it. I have posted this before, but this seems a good time for a refresher course!

http://www.bowndesigns.com/blog/2006/09/07/inking

She has another intersting article on zippers as well. Her bags are crafted in a manner much like Hermes...so it is interestint to read her insights...

Thank you, CobaltBlu.:heart: I learn something new here again! :flowers: