Custom Jewelry for Baby

trustlove

May 17, 2010
When I was born my paternal grandmother gave me a gold bracelet with my full name on it. It was an absolutely gorgeous bracelet and I cherished it. I would love to continue this tradition and give my son/daughter (due in June) some type of jewelry. Being that I love Tiffany & Co. I would love to get a custom piece made for our lo. I do have a few questions for you lovely tpfers. 1. Do you think a bracelet would work for either sex? 2. I want to incorporate the babies birth stone somehow into the design and I am not sure how to go about that, any ideas? 3. Has anyone had any custom pieces done by Tiffany? 4. Any tips or suggestions from anyone who has done this for their lo?

I do think it would be best to get jewelry if you have a girl. None of the men I know wear any jewelry other than their wedding rings (very few even wear watches), so I don't think a bracelet would work for them. But your family and friends might be different.

Some ideas:
-Use the June birthstone
-Use 6 stones representing the month
-Use the number of stones for the day of the month of their birth
-Something symbolizing that this is transformative year (some historical works state that this is either the end of a era or the beginning of a new era)
-If it's a boy, find something you like in honor of them and when they are older pass it along to them for their wife when they get married or for a future granddaughter
-If it's a girl, wear the item until a major birthday and then pass it along to them

Couture- thank you so much for all the ideas. I really like the idea of incorporating the june birthstone into the piece. I though maybe for a male something like this http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...params=s+5-p+1-c+288161-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+, http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...params=s+5-p+1-c+288161-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+ or http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...params=s+5-p+2-c+288161-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+ would work well for a male. My dad had something similar that he wore from the time I could remember to about a year ago when it no longer fit. I also like your idea of getting something symbolic and keeping it for him to give his partner. Thanks again for all the ideas.

In my dealings with Tiffany they don't really do custom work until you get in to some serious $$$ on the items purchased. Don't know if they varies store-by-store. But I'm sure you could buy something at Tiffany and have it customized elsewhere.

I would be very hesitant to put a heavy piece of jewelry on a baby/child, unless they would only have it as a keepsake and only wear it for formal occasions. My kids didn't wear jewelry, but if they had I would have made sure it was thin enough to break away if they were to catch it on something.

If you are looking to spend a lot of money, I would say do not get a child's size. They would only be able to wear it a short time. I have some jewelry given to my son when he was a baby and now he can't wear it - it's too small. Such a waste.