Current Downsized Collection - Keep or Sell?

Jul 9, 2015
Hi ladies! I haven't really been that active in the MK forum since last year as I ended up really downsizing my collection, as seen below. I took my bags out to take a picture of my current collection and while I've fallen in love again with the colours I just don't think the Large Selmas are functional for me seeing as I've reduced what I carry down to the basics - phone, keys, wallet, small makeup pouch (lipstick, blotting sheets, hand sanitizer, etc.), and my sunglasses. In addition, I know the Large Selma has been discontinued and while I love the clean aesthetic of the bag, I don't find myself using it because it's heavy. I don't know whether to keep the Selmas because I love the colours, design, and the fact that they're being discontinued or to give them away/sell them. Any input would be greatly appreciated as well as places to sell in Canada (ie: Kijiji), seeing as I can't really ask my family because they think I'm nuts for buying so many bags and than not using them all and if I ask friends they automatically assume I'm offering them the bag! ImageUploadedByPurseForum1468266969.540002.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1468266981.360842.jpg

Last edited:
If it's no longer love, I usually sell. Then use the money to buy a bag I love. When something is discontinued its hard to get rid of it, I sold my 2 medium Suttons because even though they were lovely I just didn't use them but ultimately it's up to if you feel ready to part with them. I tried selling my medium Selma a few times and every time I listed it I ended up pulling the listing down within a few days because I wasn't ready to sell it even though it was too small for me. Did end up selling it eventually and bought another bag with the money that I love and use all the time - Izzy tote. I'm in Canada too and I sell on eBay mostly. Anything I've listed on kijiji either doesn't sell or I get low ball offers.

If it's no longer love, I usually sell. Then use the money to buy a bag I love. When something is discontinued its hard to get rid of it, I sold my 2 medium Suttons because even though they were lovely I just didn't use them but ultimately it's up to if you feel ready to part with them. I tried selling my medium Selma a few times and every time I listed it I ended up pulling the listing down within a few days because I wasn't ready to sell it even though it was too small for me. Did end up selling it eventually and bought another bag with the money that I love and use all the time - Izzy tote. I'm in Canada too and I sell on eBay mostly. Anything I've listed on kijiji either doesn't sell or I get low ball offers.
I'm leaning towards letting the Selmas go, I'd rather someone enjoy them and use them instead of them sitting in my closet going untouched. I really prefer to be hands-free so I've started using my totes and crossbodys more over the last few months. I usually use Kijiji and have had positive responses but there's so many other sites people mention, although I assume they're US-based.

If you love the colors but think the bag is too big & heavy for you now, perhaps you can sell the large to fund getting a medium in the same color. Just a thought.

+1. I did this myself just a few days ago. I wanted a new bag, but couldn't qiute justify buying it. I had one I never used and sold it to get my new love; Selma in ballet. My advice is to sell the two large Selmas and replace them in medium.

+1. I did this myself just a few days ago. I wanted a new bag, but couldn't qiute justify buying it. I had one I never used and sold it to get my new love; Selma in ballet. My advice is to sell the two large Selmas and replace them in medium.
I don't think I'd replace them after selling them especially not with the same style, seeing as I prefer to be hands-free and have found that totes or crossbodys work better for me. I was looking at my other bags as well because I'd like to do one final clear out of things I don't use and focus on bags that work for me. I have "Luggage" coloured items from Tory Burch as well as a couple bags from MBMJ and Kate Spade that are very similar to the DD. I think my only reason for holding on is knowing that the Large Selmas are now difficult to source but that's not a good enough reason to keep them.

My vote us to sell them if you don't use them. Who knows the style might comeback in the future with better designs. You won't miss them and can buy something you really want.

My vote us to sell them if you don't use them. Who knows the style might comeback in the future with better designs. You won't miss them and can buy something you really want.
This is the decision I've come to, I know there are people out there looking for the Large Selmas and it doesn't make sense for me to hold onto them if I'm not using them. Plus I went through all my bags and found ones that were similar colours but more functional styles for me.

Reactions: janiesea3
Check out lovethatbag.ca for a place to sell bags...

I agree with others, if it's not love and your not using them, sell and use funds for items that bring you joy!
Thank you for that tip, finding a site to sell on in Canada is a whole other task! I'll be sure to check that site out. I think I've come to realize what style bags work for me (totes and crossbodys) based on my lifestyle. I love the look of satchels but I've come to realize they're not meant for me.

If you're more into hands-free bags now, I'd suggest selling both Selmas and getting a Selma messenger if you still like the Selma style. The good thing about neutral colors like DD and luggage is that it's always easy to find a variety of bags in those colors.

As soon as I fall out of love with a bag, I sell in order to make room for one I do love. Unfortunately for me, this happens a lot, haha. Don't feel bad selling just because a bag is discontinued. The bag has to work for you and if it's too big, there's no point in keeping it just because they no longer make it. I've bought and returned several MK totes in the past. I love the look of them, but they always end up being too big. They weren't functional for me and I knew I wouldn't use them therefore it made more sense to return them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

If you're more into hands-free bags now, I'd suggest selling both Selmas and getting a Selma messenger if you still like the Selma style. The good thing about neutral colors like DD and luggage is that it's always easy to find a variety of bags in those colors.

As soon as I fall out of love with a bag, I sell in order to make room for one I do love. Unfortunately for me, this happens a lot, haha. Don't feel bad selling just because a bag is discontinued. The bag has to work for you and if it's too big, there's no point in keeping it just because they no longer make it. I've bought and returned several MK totes in the past. I love the look of them, but they always end up being too big. They weren't functional for me and I knew I wouldn't use them therefore it made more sense to return them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Thank you for the advice, it really summed up my thought process but it always helps to hear another person's rationale, and even more so when it aligns with your own[emoji5] I'm the same as you, I see a bag, have to have it and than fall out of love with it pretty quickly. I think I'm pretty bag content for now, I've purchased around 6 crossbodys this year, and have my eye on a 7th one. I'm also using some older bags including a MBMJ Natasha that is very similar in colour to my DD Selma!

The good news is you picked good colors for the most part. Mk generally sell for %60 of retail value sometimes a little more or less. You could offer to a friend who is like minded, give them a good deal. Or sell on an app such as 5mile.