Curly Hair TPFers

Okkk, I have curly hair. I am totally in love with straight hair and I envy those who have it naturally.

But anyways, I tried lots of products that de-frizzed my curls, and the fact is that I just don't like my type of curls. I'd rather have wavy hair than curly hair. I know some people can acheive this look with a curling iron, but I can't...I suck at doing anything with a curling iron. I had a perfect wavy-ish look that my friend acheived when she did my hair, (I loved it)......but she straightened it AND then curled it with a curling iron, (both were like 550 degrees) and both at once just totally fryed my hair, I mean not fryed but it def. was not good for my hair.

Is there anything to make straightening your hair last? You know what I mean? Like if you straighten your hair, how can you make it last 3-4 days? Any product you guys use for that? Or any product to keep it looking non greasy or something?

But anyways, when I do wear my hair curly, I use the Frederic Fekkai Curl line. Sometimes it makes my curls look pretty.....like almost all the same type of curls, ringlets sort of, and my curls are not that way without the F&F Curl Line. I've tried drugstore products but they just don't compare.

But curly hair is a lot of work, and straight hair is a lot easier for me...with straight hair, you can just wake up and brush it and then leave. But ohhhh, the damage, KWIM?

I've been using Paul Mitchell products. Right now I'm using his Moisture shampoo and conditioner, but I've tried his other shampoos and conditioners before, and I am equally happy with them.

I use the Super Skinny Relaxing Balm and I've used the Super Skinny Serum, really though between the two you only need one.

I've used the Straight Works gel, but I don't have it right now and my hair has been fine. Save your money on that one, I don't see the point of it.

So basically if you want to try Paul Mitchell, I'd recommend getting either the Super Skinny Relaxing Balm or the Serum. I think the relaxing balm is better because I feel I can go longer without my hair getting greasy than with the serum, but for a special occasion I use the serum because I think it gives me more shine.
In addition to that the Heat Seal is a must.

Here's the description of it:
MULTI-PURPOSE, HUMIDITY RESISTANT STYLING SPRAY
Humidity Resistant
– Ensures longer lasting style—curly or straight
Builds Body and Enhances Shine – Clean, flexible styling agents and essential fatty acids provide style memory and added shine
Thermal Protection – Helps prevent damage caused by blow dryers and hot irons

I live in Florida, it's super humid here, and this stuff keeps my hair fairly straight for about 2-3 days when I use it. (I hardly ever go 4 days, because that's about the day I need to wash my hair, but if I do go 4 days my hair is still somewhat straight by then, no curls, just light waves, but again by day 4 it needs washing and I wear it up anyway)

Let me know how you like it if you try it.

Last edited:
I have corkscrew curls and I go between wearing it naturally curly and flat ironing it. When wearing it curly, in my experience when I used products for curlly hair, it made my curls tighter (like a poodle) and it left my hair hard and crunchy. Now, I just comb through a leave in conditioner while I'm in the shower (using a Denman brush) and when it's halfways air dry, I apply pure aloe vera gel. And that's it.

When I straighten my hair, I just use Nexxus Calming cream and Isoplus Oil Sheen. My hair stays straight until I wash it again.

I use Tigi Curls Rock when my hair is very wet. I put a pump in my hands, spread it around, add water to my hands and distribute through my hair. Then I flip my head and dry it with my hairdryer/diffuser combo.

I second this stuff! I use it religiously on my fine but moderately tight corkscrew type curls that I wear between chin and shoulder length. For me, the key to using it is to make sure it's evenly distributed throughout your hair (I think this is the key for all curly hair products). That way there aren't clumps of crunchy hair on top of frizzy hair underneath that has no product. I make sure to work it in well, and then twist little segments of hair a couple times to make them curl together, to prevent frizzing (to counteract all the separation of the curls that happens when you distribute the Curls Rock).

Give it a try-- it takes a couple times to figure out the right amount, but TOTALLY worth it.

Also-- I do this at night, and in the AM I spritz a few sprays of Suave (really, Suave!) hair spray for curly hair, to prevent frizz.

I have very thick curly hair that gets dry easily.

First off, I alternate my shampoo and conditioner everyday to avoid residue build-up. My hair isn't too picky on the type of shampoo, so I experiment and try new things all the time. Currently, I'm rotating between Redken shampoo and conditioner, Wen cleansing conditioner (total waste of money, I'm just trying to use it all up), Tresemme Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Hair Recovery Mask, and Aussie Three-Minute Miracle.

After rinsing (try to rinse with cold water) and drying off, I squeeze the excess water from my hair. Then I apply some Pantene Pro-V leave-in conditioner and comb it through. Then I take a hair clip and make a tight bun with my wet hair. That keeps the moisture locked in.

I know, I heard it's bad to sleep with wet hair. But I can't help it, I need to in order to maintain my curly hair. :shame: My BF still scolds me for it.

In the morning, I remove the hair clip and my curls are teeny damp and still intact. I wet it down a little bit, and then scrunch some Aussie Instant-Freeze hair gel. Works like a charm every time! :tup:

I also recommend letting your hair grow out and getting it layered. When long, the length weighs down the hair and won't "poof" out like you stuck your finger in the electrical outlet. (It tooks me years to realize that. I was a total poodle in high school. :lol:) Also layering will help keeps the top layer of hair from poofing out as well. I need really big chunky layers; little subtle layers don't do it for me.

My hair is really long and fine and has big loose curls at the ends. I never straighten it anymore because it is so damaging and try to let it air dry. I also try to wash every other day. All I use is this serum by Aveda. I have read that curly haired girls should not shampoo but my hair feels too dirty if I only use conditioner.

I don't know if this is just me or not, but I can't seem to blow dry my hair straight. It just doesn't work. I'll put a product in that is meant for you to apply to wet hair and then blow dry straight, and it just doesn't work. All blow dryers just make my hair frizzy, KWIM? my friend comes from a family of hairdressers so i told her this and she said, "ohhh, for your type of hair you have to straighten it first and then blow dry it." I was like, "grrr...oh great. even more damage." It does work though if you want your hair straight, but it kind of defeats the purpose because you could just use a flat iron.

I don't know if this is just me or not, but I can't seem to blow dry my hair straight. It just doesn't work. I'll put a product in that is meant for you to apply to wet hair and then blow dry straight, and it just doesn't work. All blow dryers just make my hair frizzy, KWIM? my friend comes from a family of hairdressers so i told her this and she said, "ohhh, for your type of hair you have to straighten it first and then blow dry it." I was like, "grrr...oh great. even more damage." It does work though if you want your hair straight, but it kind of defeats the purpose because you could just use a flat iron.

I've NEVER been able to blow dry straight - it just ends up looking frizzy and .. well like crap. I've tried it a handful of times with different products before scrapping the entire idea all together.

I've tried straightening my hair a bit to "lessen" the curl .. but .. good god, my arms get tired and I don't have the patience .. I'd rather be doing something else.

I like my curls for the most part - but not how my hair styles come out, I guess. I can't have bangs because well, my bangs would just be this curl mess -

*sigh* I just get tired even talking about hair trouble.

I've NEVER been able to blow dry straight - it just ends up looking frizzy and .. well like crap. I've tried it a handful of times with different products before scrapping the entire idea all together.

I've tried straightening my hair a bit to "lessen" the curl .. but .. good god, my arms get tired and I don't have the patience .. I'd rather be doing something else.

I like my curls for the most part - but not how my hair styles come out, I guess. I can't have bangs because well, my bangs would just be this curl mess -

*sigh* I just get tired even talking about hair trouble.

yeah same here i can't blow dry it straight myself it'll just look like dry straight hippie hair...i'm looking into getting that GHD straightener they're raving about in the forum supposedly if you let your hair air dry you can straighten it out without having to blow dry first....i wish i could do the brazilian straightening but my DF loves my curly hair :shame:

i def need to buy a product to apply after washing...my old stylist created a serum for me but it finished and she's no longer at that salon :sad: so the search is on. But I use Treseme Mousse and a diffuser or sometimes i let it air dry.

I feel your pain. It's the same thing for me, this is why I usually just air dry my hair and then flat iron it.

I've been using Paul Mitchell products. Right now I'm using his Moisture shampoo and conditioner, but I've tried his other shampoos and conditioners before, and I am equally happy with them.

I use the Super Skinny Relaxing Balm and I've used the Super Skinny Serum, really though between the two you only need one.

I've used the Straight Works gel, but I don't have it right now and my hair has been fine. Save your money on that one, I don't see the point of it.

So basically if you want to try Paul Mitchell, I'd recommend getting either the Super Skinny Relaxing Balm or the Serum. I think the relaxing balm is better because I feel I can go longer without my hair getting greasy than with the serum, but for a special occasion I use the serum because I think it gives me more shine.
In addition to that the Heat Seal is a must.

Here's the description of it:
MULTI-PURPOSE, HUMIDITY RESISTANT STYLING SPRAY
Humidity Resistant – Ensures longer lasting style—curly or straight
Builds Body and Enhances Shine – Clean, flexible styling agents and essential fatty acids provide style memory and added shine
Thermal Protection – Helps prevent damage caused by blow dryers and hot irons

I live in Florida, it's super humid here, and this stuff keeps my hair fairly straight for about 2-3 days when I use it. (I hardly ever go 4 days, because that's about the day I need to wash my hair, but if I do go 4 days my hair is still somewhat straight by then, no curls, just light waves, but again by day 4 it needs washing and I wear it up anyway)

Let me know how you like it if you try it.
do you put the skinny serum on after you flat iron (or when your hair is dry) or do you put it on when your hair is damp? thanks