Curling irons? How expensive to go?

Adore

"BLONDIE"
Sep 17, 2006
I've been wanting to get a curling iron for some time now... my issue is I don't know how much I will love curls on my hair but I do want something a little different.
I really don't want to spend a ton of money or anything, though. I don't see myself getting a "Conair" for example, but something like maybe Wigo because they're a little nicer but I know they're not "the best."

What is the difference, though? Do you think I should spend a good amount on one? I usually gravitate towards the more expensive because I can't help but feel like they will work better as they tend to. But what would a really expensive curling iron do for me, anyway? Would it really be -significantly- less damaging?

I hope it doesn't sound like a pointless question. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm not sure I'll like, but I absolutely HATE "upgrading," meaning getting something cheap only to buy the nicer more expensive version later if I'll be getting it anyway. So I'm trying to find a middle-ground to both try it out and own it for a good amount of time, but I don't want to kill my hair. Or have it not work very well like the certain kind of heat that retains the curls-- is that even true? Can heat really be that advanced as these products try to say?

Thanks for any input!

ALSO... 1", or 1 1/2" curling iron for hair that is long-- far down the back? I'm looking into the 1 1/2 size. I don't want springing curls, but more very wavy. I could be totally wrong about that and it might be too big so I'm curious about that, too.
What I would -LOVE- to do is borrow one from somebody but none of my girlfriends curl their hair. They just leave it or straighten it like me and my mom only has a 1/2" which is way too small.

I feel funny asking this because it's SO particular, but I'm really trying to make a good choice here.

I have purchased so many curling irons by many companies until I went to my hair salon. My stylist uses one called "Helen of Troy". That is the brand name. It was 23.00 at Sally's Beauty Supply and it is amazing!!!!!! The great thing about it is that it gets to 450 degrees and has even and continuous heat distribution. The only thing I would suggest is getting styling heat protectant spray so you don't damage your hair. It is the best one I have ever had!

I have the TIGI Bedhead tourmaline 1" iron that lights up. I LOVE IT! I think it was only ~$30, but it actually works really well!!!

2145129.jpg

I dunno what brand I have. I bought it from my hairdresser and it was only 50 bucks. Works pretty well. Mine is quite big, think it's more than 1". The thing with curling irons is that you gotta know how to use it. It's not as easy as it seems, you can end up with weird-uneven curls if it's not right. Flat irons are much easier to use to curl your hair imo.

I have the TIGI Bedhead tourmaline 1" iron that lights up. I LOVE IT! I think it was only ~$30, but it actually works really well!!!

2145129.jpg

That's a really good price, I'm looking for something around there actually. Between 30 and 50 dollars-- but how is it on your hair too? Is it damaging at all or does it snag at strands of your hair while using it?

At 1", how tight are your curls? Are they always tight curls or are they more like waves? I'm looking for a wave/curl style, which is something completely in between. I'm wondering if it 1" is too tight.
Thank you!

I have two curling irons both from Conair that i got on sale at CVS. one is a small size barrel and the other is a medium/large size. they both work really great. However, when the iron gets too hot, it shuts off to cool the iron. that can be a plus except when i dont realize that it has happen and I have to wait 5 seconds for it to come back on. they were about $19.99 each

That's a really good price, I'm looking for something around there actually. Between 30 and 50 dollars-- but how is it on your hair too? Is it damaging at all or does it snag at strands of your hair while using it?

At 1", how tight are your curls? Are they always tight curls or are they more like waves? I'm looking for a wave/curl style, which is something completely in between. I'm wondering if it 1" is too tight.
Thank you!

It hasn't damaged my hair, but I haven't really used it enough to tell... The barrel part is really smooth, so it doesn't snag at all. That's the best part about it IMO.

The 1" is good for me, because my hair won't hold a heat curl that tight. It starts out like a loose spiral, but then it relaxes into the perfect size curl... I was concerned that 1" would be too small, but it's actually perfect. If your hair really holds a tight curl and you need something bigger, they do make a 1.5" for the same price.

Literally the only thing I don't like about this iron is that it doesn't have that little arm that you fold down to rest it on the counter. It has a built on little ledge instead. But that's not really a big deal. I really think it's a great product for the price! I'm going to try their flat iron next :wlae:

If you've had it curled at the salon see what they use. My hairdresser picked one up for me, a professional salon one (i don't recall the brand at the moment - has a gold colored barrel) it was only 35.00. Heats up right away, doesn't ruin/pull my hair. Can get very hot.

OKAY. I -finally- bought one. I bought this Wigo one at 1.5". I already have Wigo Jade flat iron that I have been happy with for years so I figured it was a place to start. I was really hesitant not only of the brand to choose but also the width of the curling iron itself, but what I'm looking for is a way to make flips at the end and a bit of a curl here and there, just to do something different with my hair.
I was able to find one on eBay from a reliable (by the looks of it) powerseller with good ratings and many other hair products at about $38 with the shipping, so hopefully it will work out well.

Thanks so much for your help you guys! It was so hard to decide... hopefully this one will work out.

Believe it or not, this is about how big the curls end up with a 1" iron on my hair...

carrieunderwood_hair.jpg

I like this style. the curls are not so tight, very loose and sexy. you can do this with flat iron too. I have a flat iron and a curling iron. the latter one is unused now, since my GHD can basically do everything i want.

In a stylist's world curling irons are curling irons. It's the product that will give you the look. At work we use Hot tools...and they are priced at around $20.

I have a Hot Tools with a gold barrel and then I bought the Hot Tools that is ionic and is gentle on the hair. The latter was about $54.00, but ULTA had it one weekend, any size, for $17.99!! Wow what a deal. It gets very hot like the gold one, but is so gentle on my hair (that is colored and highlighted). I highly recommend this brand as it is what most of the professionals use.