Curious what a completely destroyed purse looks like?!

thegirlwhoflies

The Girl Who Flies
O.G.
Oct 8, 2009
About 6 months ago I swapped my wallet over to a new LV Zippy Wallet for winter & packed away my YSL purse. I put it back in its dustbag, into the original box & placed it into my wardrobe with about 15 of my handbags... next to my Chanel Classic Flap actually. Today I went to pull it out to use it & got the shock of my life. Immediately I felt sick to my stomach. Mould has completely & utterly destroyed it. It's absolutely everywhere, in the pockets, in the stitching... the leather is quite grainy & it's seems as though it's deep in the leather. The leather itself has buckled from the dampness. I did try and scrub it as best I could but it's made little to no difference. It's just completely ruined. Even if I could get it clean, the smell itself is just awful.

Unfortunately mould is something that seems to come through my wardrobe over winter, usually it attaches itself to my shoes but everything else has always escaped it. I've tried dehumidifiers, damp rid & even repainting my room but nothing seems to escape it in my wardrobe. After finding my purse I quickly pulled out all of my other bags & they seem to be ok... for now! I don't have anywhere else I can store my bags which terrifies me that they may eventually meet the same fate. :cry:

Sadly I'd originally planned to buy a Gucci Disco bag in red this week, I've been lusting after it for almost a year & had decided to pull the trigger on it after seeing Megs review on PurseBlog some weeks ago. See, my LV wallet is too big for the Disco bag so in an effort to downsize I pulled my YSL purse out this morning because it's much smaller. So now I don't have a wallet that will fit into the bag & I sure can't afford to go out and buy a new one. I'm so sad & don't know what to do for a purse. I was so excited to be buying my new bag :crybaby:

Anyway, I thought I'd share the photos of my poor purse before I throw it out because honestly, it's jut horrific & I could absolutely use some sympathy! :rain:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 3,769
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 3,783
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 3,648
Wow that looks horrifying! I would've been sick to my stomach too.

You know, a lot of people here have successfully rehabbed some crazy used purses, such as in the Coach forum there has been some great success stories and pictures of how they did it. It may not be completely gone. Have you considered soaking in a bucket of soap? Other ways to kill off the mold?

Maybe for your current purses purchasing some of those little silicone bags (sometimes comes in new packaging to eliminate moisture) can work temporarily?

Wow that looks horrifying! I would've been sick to my stomach too.

You know, a lot of people here have successfully rehabbed some crazy used purses, such as in the Coach forum there has been some great success stories and pictures of how they did it. It may not be completely gone. Have you considered soaking in a bucket of soap? Other ways to kill off the mold?

Maybe for your current purses purchasing some of those little silicone bags (sometimes comes in new packaging to eliminate moisture) can work temporarily?

Thank you! Someone yesterday had actually mentioned trying packing my bags with those small silica packets & it actually sounds like a really smart idea. I've just put some in my Amazon cart. I'm not sure I'll try and salvage the purse, it just seems too far gone. The mould is in absolutely everything including all the pockets and the stitching. I think I'll cut my loses and buy myself something new to cheer myself. I actually had a nice Prada wallet in mind that will fit nicely inside the Disco bag when I buy it. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1444033207.523395.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1444033224.273247.jpgATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPurseForum1444033237.326530.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1444033237.326530.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 3,316
You live in Sydney? Is it humid like that everywhere or is your particular home just prone to dampness? I'm so sorry this happened, it's the stuff of nightmares. =(

Oh my goodness, what a shame. Would you be better leaving things out so that the air can circulate round them rather than packing them away?

Would you consider taking it to a professional cleaner?
Also, I live near the equator which means it's is hot and humid for me all damn year round. I find that it is actually better to just leave my leather bags out in well-ventilated areas. I won't even pull on the drawstrings. Just leave one side open. They mould much less this way.

I'm so sorry about your wallet! I'll research and see what other measures can be done to prevent it. I have a Miu Miu bow bag and the inside looks moldy and has black dots inside the flap..it is so weird. I put those silica packets where I store my purses but I don't know if it helped much...case in point above. Maybe keeping it in a enclosed or airy space or air controlled room would help...