curious boyfriend and the prada....

beachy10

Mar 11, 2010
I recently bought a vitello shine tote. Of course my BF walks over and says, "How much did that cost?" I wouldn't say and he got all upset. I said, "I got it at Target. I think it was $50." (Why I said Target is because my other bag I use alot when I don't want to use my designer stuff is from Walmart, hoping he would accept that answer.) Then he checks out the label and sees 'Prada'. I said Target and Prada did a collaboration. He didn't buy it. Finally he says, "Was it $1000, $500?" I said, "Oh it was about $400."

He said ok and was strangely happy to know. Of course I didn't tell him that it actually cost $1150.

Does anyones else's SO do this? My BF knows all of the brand names and loves to know how much stuff costs. Not like he tells me what to buy or anything, but he's just curious. I have resorted to low balling since sometimes I don't think he'd understand why I need to spend so much on one item.

My partner is either there with me or buys it as a surprise for me. He manages the finances and knows how much we can afford to spend.

The only time I have made a high end purchase (pair of Prada flats) without him there, I called to check that it was okay. He pays the bills too and you can't hide a $1100 purchase! Not to mention he knows what I have in my wardrobe and is quite friendly with the staff from Prada, Miu Miu, LV and Chanel.

What will happen if one day your bf finds out that you lied to him?

My partner is either there with me or buys it as a surprise for me. He manages the finances and knows how much we can afford to spend.

The only time I have made a high end purchase (pair of Prada flats) without him there, I called to check that it was okay. He pays the bills too and you can't hide a $1100 purchase! Not to mention he knows what I have in my wardrobe and is quite friendly with the staff from Prada, Miu Miu, LV and Chanel.

What will happen if one day your bf finds out that you lied to him?

he wouldn't care if he found out i lied. i don't like when people ask how much something is because most just don't understand.

My partner doesn't really care if I buy the bag with my own money. He'd be just like, 'Another bag? It wasn't even a month ago that you got a new one' and shakes his head. But he does care if by the end of the month I need a new lipstick and have to borrow some moolah from him. Then he'll be like, 'Can't even afford a lipstick now, can you?'

I buy all my own stuff and I STILL lie about the cost lol!!!! He doesn't need to know..if he did he'd think I was insane...and for the record I never dislcose to anyone how much I spend on my stuff...it's noone's business anyways..besides..bills are paid..retirement on track..it's my choice and my business..period!

I was moaning to my bf (now ex) about missing out on a Prada fairy and he asked me how much it was...when I told him his response was pretty funny ("Gah!" via text) but I did feel funny after that talking about designer bags with him. He wanted to know how often I'd use it and if it was an investment bag.

Another time I took my "new" LV watercolor speedy over to his place on my way home from getting it (an ebay buy from someone local) and he liked the dustbag more than the bag itself! :P

My husband has a general idea about how much things cost because he has purchased items for me in the past. His usual comment is "Are those shoes [or whatever] new? I like them/it!" but he never asks me how much I spent. We have separate bank accounts and separate credit cards which may seem weird but works for us.

my bf knows about my designer addiction but also knows i like to get a good deal so i usually never buy anything full retail (unless its a gift for him =P)
when i find something on ebay that i want to bid on he usually asks me what the price in the store is and is generally happy to know that i'm not buying at that price and lets me bid on it =)

sounds like the bf & dh are pals! :P

i simply tell him off... "well, bags are to me, as cams & lenses are to you". if not enough to shusssh, i throw in other gadgets & gizmos and do the math! :rtr: