Curious bag beginner?

MsVincit

Bag Beginner
Dec 7, 2015
Hello all!

I am MsVinci, and am quite new to bags actually. I am in my 20s and has just recently formed an interest in premier/luxury bags :smile:

For most of my life I have bought simple, no-name bags and though I have had a couple of really sturdy ones I end up mostly ruining them- I am very careless and just have a mix of bad luck with them is all. I have heard of premier bags and many of the designs have just intrigued me and the promise of better quality (or at least a warranty/guarantee) has really drawn me in!

I am thinking of purchasing a red Sac De Jour in small from Saint Laurent and a black Givenchy Antigona Medium Bag. My aesthetic is mainly bags that can carry a lot but are not too big and bags that are very shaped and classic.

I am reading through both threads for bags now as well! Anyone have any opinions on those two bags being my entry premier bags? :smile:

Oh wow, when I first became interested in bags, it was between the small Sac de Jour and the medium Antigona as well. I tried both on in person and ended up buying the Antigona. Fast forward, I now own both, though my SDJ is in black.

I would really recommend trying them both on in person and seeing what speaks to you, which one you can't even think about parting with. Both are good choices for a first bag. The SDJ is a little harder to get in and out of and fits less than the Antigona, but the shape is more "classic". The Antigona, though, tends to get more attention. The small SDJ is also open with only a zip compartment if that is a dealbreaker. Both are chic bags that will last for a very long time. Some people say both bags are heavy, but I don't find them to be that way. The medium Antigona can carry a significant amount more than the small SDJ.

I would recommend going with a classic like black for your first bag. You really can't go wrong with either and will probably end up with both eventually.

Hi Kyokei!

Thank you for replying :smile: I'm sorry if I was confusing, but I meant I would be getting them both at the same time!

I was wondering if they would be okay to be both bought at the same time and I'll have different uses for them, but the way you describe the Antigona, I really have to get it!
By small SDJ, I think I may have the sizes differently here in AU, since this is what they call the 'small' (in my attached photo). Is that the one you mean? Are any of those very prone to wear and tear or at least scratches?

That is very interesting to know!

tasukangirl.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/20140713-173807.jpg

Yes, definitely okay to be bought at the same time! Both are very different bags and, at least in my collection, do not serve the same purpose at all. I love and use them both and they both give my outfits a very different look.

What leather are you getting the SDJ in? The grained one isn’t prone to scratches. I have the smooth leather because I think it looks very luxe and some people around here say it scratches easily, but I have not had any issues with mine at all. I take good care of my bags, but I still use them normally in my day to day life.

And yes, that photo looks like the small SDJ. It doesn’t fit as much as it appears to because of the zip compartment in the middle and the fact the bag is rather stiff and doesn’t open as much. But it fits a book, wallet, phone, makeup, iPod, lipstick, and daily essentials like that. But you will have the Antigona for days you need to carry more. I even put small shopping bags in my Antigona with no issue.

Both are stunning bags and since getting both is an option I'd take it without a second thought.

Thank you so much for that :smile: It's amazing to hear from someone who has both bags, I'm glad to know they won't be too similar in terms of versatility as well!

I realise you said that you care for your bags plenty but I do have to the tendency to be a little rough sometimes. I want to get the SDJ in smooth leather because like you, I think it is all very classic! I may be more rough than you (though I really try to be careful) so do you think it might get scratched? What do you do as maintenance or care for it?

Do you also do that for the Antigona? Like I said I'm very new to this, so thanks for the tips!

I heard that the calfskin Antigona is more stiff and structured, which is what I prefer since I don't like slouchy or soft bags. Did you get that one?

I think that, even if you are hard on your bags now, once you get premier designer bags as special as the Antigona and the SDJ you will naturally be a little more careful around them. I am just careful not to hit them into corners, scratch them with my nails (I have long nails so sometimes this happens but it hasn’t caused issues on any bags yet) or rings, and never put them down on something dirty like the floor. I also have a canvas LV bag that I wear if it is raining hard so the leather ones won’t get ruined. They have handbag raincoats you can buy to protect them from rain, or even keeping a plastic bag in case of a sudden downpour will do if you live in a rainy area.

I have the smooth calfskin Antigona and the smooth SDJ. I will include both pictures of the bags I have that I took a while ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 11.09.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 11.09.53 PM.png
    456.6 KB · Views: 592
  • 11745683_738278522984259_981059688138214505_n.jpg
    11745683_738278522984259_981059688138214505_n.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 587
Thank you for the photos :smile:

They are so beautiful! I will definitely keep those tips in mind and I think I will be naturally inclined to fuss and worry about them since after all, they are my first bags. Do you also clean them with anything or something like that? I heard there are leather protectors or what they use to wipe, but I don't know much about it or how often you should. Especially for these bags!

Is the SDJ you have a small? I still get a little lost when I hear that sometimes, it's not very small! Even the Antigona small is not that small. I am 5'1, do you think the Medium Antigona may be too big?

There is a youtube review of two sizes of antigona, IIRC both are smaller than medium....

The two bags you picked are the ones that tempt me the most, but I subbed contemporary designer bags to satisfy the itch: Coach borough bag and ace satchel. The pebbled leather seems like it would withstand more use than the smooth leather, but the smooth is my favorite.

Yes, the SDJ I have is a small. I am 5’2” so only slightly taller than you and neither bag feels too big for me personally. I think everyone should have a big bag for when they need to carry a lot of things anyway. If you’d like, I can provide mod shots so you can see the bags being worn on someone around our height.

I haven’t had to clean any of my bags yet as they haven’t gotten dirty or any kind of marks on them. Crossing my fingers it stays that way.

Oh I will look for that YouTube review! Thanks

Kyokei, it's a relief for me we are roughly the same size so I can definitely buy both bags with relief. If you would have time to put up some photos that would be great! I usually see taller women modelling the Antigona and the SDJ. :smile:

That means they're really tough! You don't spray them with anything or something to protect them?

I haven't sprayed them and haven't had any issues yet!

Here you go. These are pictures I took to test out a coat and show some boots, but they show the bags regardless. For reference I am 5'2" and size 0.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1449639696.902249.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1449639726.104242.jpg

Welcome to TPF and the love of great handbags!

I think you've picked two winners! I purchased the Givenchy Antigona and only returned it because I didn't like the color. It was a gorgeous bag. I liked that it was roomy and structured without being heavy. I'm likely going to get another one once I decide which color I want. This bag is stunning in black because it's classic enough to be worn fairly conservatively but still has edge that allows it to be styled up to and including with edgy looks.

I'm currently shopping for a small black SL SDJ. My only hold up is deciding between leathers - smooth, croc, ...??? Just know the SDJ is a little heavier so if that is a concern, try it out in store but know it will gain a few more pounds when you carry your things in it.

So, again, these are two high quality bags that are on trend but not ridiculously common that will have some staying power.

Make sure to take pics and share!

Wow Kyokei!
The Antigona is so big but it actually 'pops' on you and your size :smile: You are so gorgeous by the way, love the makeup! Thanks for the photos, and now definitely I'm set on getting the medium. I am size 2/4 myself so I feel much more confident now.

Thanks so much Sparkletastic :smile: I appreciate that everyone is open here with me while I'm just a newbie! Hopefully one day I'd be so knowledgeable too. As for the SDJ I have a strong bias towards smooth surfaces, I just feel like the shine and the plain-ness is so iconic. I have tried the SDJ in store and I don't mind the weight at all.

I'm glad to know that they are bags that are still compatible with one another! I will definitely take pics once I have the two lovely babies.

Thank you, MsVincit! I look forward to seeing your own pictures with both bags once you get them. The medium Antigona is a big bag, but it’s perfect for days you are carrying a lot of things and I love the oversized bag look on petite people myself. You can definitely pull it off.

You will soon see that this is a very slippery slope and soon you will be planning your next bags and SLGs and even shoes.

I will definitely have them up soon since I would be so excited to have a photo with them :smile: I probably will be paranoid about caring for them but I guess everyone went through that?

I will have both by next week, when I finally go in there and grab them both, probably at the same time!

I do fear this will be an addiction...SLG?