Curiosity question: How do your stores handle their stock?

faintlymacabre

O.G.
Mar 30, 2007
I'm asking this because my store seems to unwrap and unpack all their things. When I went in to purchase my Olive Rogue, they showed me 3 bags before I found one that was acceptable. The others looked poorly stored: wrinkles, dents, corners that looked smushed.

Yesterday, I went to pick up my black linked Rogue Tote. They one that they had set aside for me was deformed along the top edge due to the weight of the handles. I think it was just left sitting with the handles flopped downwards and towards the outside for an extended period of time to cause that much warp. I requested a different bag, obviously, so they went to the back and unpacked a new one for me. But why not just leave things factory-wrapped?! Wouldn't all customers prefer a "brand new" condition, untouched bag?

How do your stores treat their stock?

Reactions: JVSXOXO
As far as I know they unwrap most of them. My SA knows I like mine wrapped so whatever comes from the actual store has all the wrapping and stuffing. When I got my Olive Rogue only 3 were still unwrapped in their stock and she set one aside for me. Same thing when I bought my tote. When she orders from JAX she puts a note for them to leave in the original packaging. I wonder if it's a matter of a lack of space to store them because they'd be so bulky in the stock room?

My store unwraps as well. However, my SA knows I like to keep some packing. I don't care if the bag is unwrapped to an extent so that you can view the quality of the leather, the handles, make sure the zippers are smooth, etc. That said, I like the stuffing inside to be kept inside and particularly with the Rogue bag, I like the foam or rectangular inserts that go into this to open side pockets left in the bag always. I've even gone back when I picked up a bag that hasn't had those things left in them and told her to go dig through all of their stuff to get them for me. She shakes her head but for me, its how I store them & help them retain their shape.
Usually though, this is only an issue when they only have a couple of a particular bag. If they have multiples of the same bag, (i.e. new stock), they still unpack them completely, but I'm usually able to get one that's wrapped just the way I want.
So, long story short, I completely agree with you!

I believe it is the Coach standard to unwrap bags for customers, rather than bringing them onto the sales floor and unwrapping them there. I've seen some wrapped bags and they really are wrapped to the nth degree. You don't see Louis Vuitton unwrapping packaging from bags on their sales floor. It just seems kind of tacky to do that. However, if a customer requests the bag be wrapped, wrapped it will be. I imagine it would also be easier to stash a wrapped bag in one's luggage, if one is shopping while on vacation so there's that.

I believe it is the Coach standard to unwrap bags for customers, rather than bringing them onto the sales floor and unwrapping them there. I've seen some wrapped bags and they really are wrapped to the nth degree. You don't see Louis Vuitton unwrapping packaging from bags on their sales floor. It just seems kind of tacky to do that. However, if a customer requests the bag be wrapped, wrapped it will be. I imagine it would also be easier to stash a wrapped bag in one's luggage, if one is shopping while on vacation so there's that.
Oh, I get this and I do agree. But they shouldn't have multiple smushed bags of the same style and color sitting in the back, right? Each customer should be getting a freshly unwrapped, brand new bag. I was a bit put off getting bags that already looked misshapen...

Oh, I get this and I do agree. But they shouldn't have multiple smushed bags of the same style and color sitting in the back, right? Each customer should be getting a freshly unwrapped, brand new bag. I was a bit put off getting bags that already looked misshapen...

I was told they are unwrapped as leaving them in the plastic (with all those chemical fumes) will damage the finish.
I can understand this, but they need to work on storing them upright with paper inside. I don't like smooshed or dented either.

Reactions: RayKay
I think mine usually unwraps things, but leaves a few in the back still wrapped. Once they brought out the tea rose 23 and was still trying to get all the wrapping off the flowers, there were so many. It only bugs me if they ship a bag, and didn't include anything to provide padding.

I just remembered that when I purchased my Oxblood Rogue Satchel, the feet were already scratched. I figured I would scratch them up anyway with use, but this is how the bag was presented to me. :/ I feel like this should never be the case.

Reactions: JVSXOXO