Cult?/ religious group????

This group that does the deprogramming will answer any questions you might have. You can call them without getting them involved & just ask questions.
I too think they are just using the SDA name to try to give the credibility. Which is a big sign something is wrong. If they are tipped off that something is going to go down, they will run & your friend will lose contact. She really needs a professional to guide her.
God bless her.

I live in Loma Linda. The entire city is SDA! We get our mail on Sundays because Sat. is for resting. All our little league games are on Sundays because of that resting thing. The local liquor stores do not sell liquor OR Pepsi. We have soooo many health food stores it is crazy. And most of the people that work in this city HAVE to be out of work on Fridays before the sun goes down. WHat a freaky town I live in!
ALthough I am not SDA, I enjoy living here because we do not have alot of crime and the people here are very nice and some are VERY judgemental!!!
ALot of the parents take their kids out of public school and put them in the local SDA academy. These kids are not "allowed" to play with mine because we are not SDA. I am very a very social mom with my non SDA neighbors but there are 4 sDA families that will not socialize with us non SDA. We all have kids the same age and the parents will not their small kids play with ours.
BUt whatever their loss.
My long point is that some people in every religious group take their beliefs to the extreme.
monica

This sounds more like one of the sects that may be "inspired" by a particular mainstream faith, one of the examples that we see more of in the US media would be some of the Mormon-"inspired" polygamist sects. Of course the actual Mormon church prohibits polygamy, and depending on which sect, you can find all kinds of things that would be contrary to the actual church doctrines.

So it is no surprise that the 7th Day Adventists, or the Methodists or the Zoroastrians will also have their share of "inspired" sects, which are neither sanctioned by nor faithful to the teachings of the actual religion that inspired the sect!

I believe that in your friend's case, the best thing might be for her to talk with the Family Services office in the community where the minor children are living, and it might also be a good idea for her to talk to some local religious leaders there, 7th Day Adventist and otherwise.

While the Adventists, for instance, will of course not be in a position of endorsing or including the spin-off sect in any way, they might have information about them, and advice for your friend. There could be other people there who have been in your friend's shoes, and if they managed to get them unzipped, their stories might also be able to help her work toward a solution.

I live in Loma Linda. The entire city is SDA! We get our mail on Sundays because Sat. is for resting. All our little league games are on Sundays because of that resting thing. The local liquor stores do not sell liquor OR Pepsi. We have soooo many health food stores it is crazy. And most of the people that work in this city HAVE to be out of work on Fridays before the sun goes down. WHat a freaky town I live in!
ALthough I am not SDA, I enjoy living here because we do not have alot of crime and the people here are very nice and some are VERY judgemental!!!
ALot of the parents take their kids out of public school and put them in the local SDA academy. These kids are not "allowed" to play with mine because we are not SDA. I am very a very social mom with my non SDA neighbors but there are 4 sDA families that will not socialize with us non SDA. We all have kids the same age and the parents will not their small kids play with ours.
BUt whatever their loss.
My long point is that some people in every religious group take their beliefs to the extreme.
monica
Quiet a few states also have the sunday 'blues' law...Its a shame they do not allow your kids to play with theirs, but like you said "its their loss'. I don't know how they show good christian practice by judging or shunning, but as it has been said, some people take things too far.