Cruise from Sydney next March

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Spring Sale is now live! Serious savings on customer favorites - up to 40% off with free shipping and free returns. Shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi,

I am going on a cruise leaving out of Sydney in March 2017. I will be staying a couple of days before and after the cruise. Any suggestions? Is it crazy for me to think I could take a day to go to the Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane ( by plane)?

2. I realise your post was over a month ago, but I only just saw it!

The flight from Sydney to Brisbane is only about 1.5-2 hours and then depending on the time of day, getting from the airport to Lone Pine will take around another hour by car. You could take an arranged river cruise that leaves from the CBD, or the 'City Cat' ferries which are public transport.

It's a great wildlife experience (hold a koala,feed the kangaroos etc) and I'd recommend it if you love nature and animals, but it will involve a fair bit of travelling. Alternatively, there are zoos in Sydney (Taronga Zoo in Mosman) where you can have your photo taken with a koala, but you can't hold them.

If there's anything else, just let me know or PM me :smile:

3. Thank you:smile: I am seriously considering going.. I really want to hold a koala once in my life!:smile: I would take a flight and be there at 7:30 am, and I would take a flight back at 4:00. Would that be too tight or I would have time to go there and maybe even visit Brisbane a bit?

4. I think if it's something you really want to do, then it's worth doing! I love my memories of visiting when I was younger. Plus, feeding the kangaroos is a great experience - they are all hopping about and you're free to walk around with a bag of food for them (as opposed to lining up and waiting your turn). Lone Pine is out in the suburbs without much else around, but you'll have to go through/past the city on the way and back to the airport. So you should be able to spare an hour or so in the CBD/Southbank too. I think it's doable.

Though I say this as a loving local, I don't think there's much to see in Brisbane that you won't see in Sydney (shops, restaurants etc). Though Southbank (on the opposite bank to the CBD, where you'd catch your 'cruise' from, if that's how you wanted to get to Lone Pine) has some nice cafes, gardens, art galleries and views of the CBD.

5. Thank you so much for all this great info:smile: I booked the plane tickets! We're going!!! Can't wait!!

jaztee likes this.