crowd management wrist bands as security tags

mpgtown99

O.G.
Jun 7, 2009
Do you need to disclose in your listing that you're putting a security tag? I'm planning to use a Tyvek tag but did not put it in my listing.

AmbassadorBri

UPS <3's TPF, too!
Jul 23, 2009
I would disclose that you are. You don't have to say what type, but I would just in case to CYA. :smile: There are also more expensive options like small plastic locks with serial numbers already printed on them, but the Tyvek should do. I would sign the Tyvek band with your signature and write other important info on it about the listing number, etc. (Don't detail this in your description, but you'll be ready in case someone tries to copy/trade out bands on your goods.)

:smile: Good luck!

patriot511

Feb 1, 2009
I do disclose in my auctions that there is a security band on the bag. I photograph the bag with the band attached. I also use the plastic security padlocks with the serial numbers for small accessories.

restless57

Truly Blessed!
O.G.
Jul 22, 2007
In Purse Heaven
OP, I just purchased 100 Tyvek Bands on Ebay for $3.50. I know from experience that they are hard to remove without messing up the fiber paper's integrity.

I just sent out a LV bag to a buyer and took many photos with a signed band wrapped around one of the handles. You can also purchase bands that are numerically printed which would be hard to duplicate by a scammer. Good Luck!

thepoppet

wind sylph
Jul 25, 2010
Upon a Zephyr High
Hmmm.. I plan to use one but I didn't say that in my listing because.. well, I'm not sure. Maybe because it would make an already wordy listing more wordy? Is there a compelling reason to mention it on the listing? I mean, if you bought a bag and the seller told you they were going to put the tag on before sending it to you, would it make you not want the bag any more? and if so, why?

Also, don't they have serial numbers to prevent swapping them out?

patriot511

Feb 1, 2009
From my experience, I strongly suggest it. Bait & Switch is rampant and you want to try and take as many preventative measures as possible. Nothing is completely foolproof but at least it's a step in the right direction.

5elle

May 21, 2009
Hmmm.. I plan to use one but I didn't say that in my listing because.. well, I'm not sure. Maybe because it would make an already wordy listing more wordy? Is there a compelling reason to mention it on the listing? I mean, if you bought a bag and the seller told you they were going to put the tag on before sending it to you, would it make you not want the bag any more? and if so, why?

Also, don't they have serial numbers to prevent swapping them out?
To avoid "wordiness" just put a Please Note section at the end of your listing with all your terms and conditions i.e. the fine print.

You must disclose it because it must be intact should the seller need to return the bag. If they don't know this when they receive it they will likely just rip it off. At a MINIMUM contact them at the point of sale.

sixela

O.G.
May 17, 2010
Has anyone won a case with eBay based on the fact that they put a tyvek band on the bag and the buyer returned it without??? I'm curious to know because it would all just seems to be useless unless eBay accepts that as proof.

Don't get me wrong, I still put tyvek bands on the items just in case.

thepoppet

wind sylph
Jul 25, 2010
Upon a Zephyr High
To avoid "wordiness" just put a Please Note section at the end of your listing with all your terms and conditions i.e. the fine print.

You must disclose it because it must be intact should the seller need to return the bag. If they don't know this when they receive it they will likely just rip it off. At a MINIMUM contact them at the point of sale.
Right, well of course I planned to let them know this prior to sending the bag. I was planning to note it when I send my usual: "Thank you for purchase; item will ship... Upon arrival you will find attached a tyvek security...." So they would know what's going on. But I am just curious as to whether or not it's really necessary to put it in the listing.

thepoppet

wind sylph
Jul 25, 2010
Upon a Zephyr High
Has anyone won a case with eBay based on the fact that they put a tyvek band on the bag and the buyer returned it without??? I'm curious to know because it would all just seems to be useless unless eBay accepts that as proof.

Don't get me wrong, I still put tyvek bands on the items just in case.
I'd like to know that too. But I am still planning to put it on either way, along with taking a photo of the bag with the band.