Crossing the line - what it meant to buy your first LV

isabellam

O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
The thread about selling/not selling one's first LV got me thinking about what exactly our first LV means to us. I don't yet have my first LV. I am saving my pennies and looking forward to the day I have my own, but to me, carrying an LV is a bold statement - especially the very recognizable monograms.

When I finally get my LV it will be my way of proclaiming (mostly to myself):

1. YES, I AM WORTH IT.

2. I am beautiful

3. I am not poor anymore

4. I am any woman's equal

5. My husband is successful

6. It is also a link to all things French, in my mind. I love the traditional French values and lifestyle.

I know that a lot of this is the product of LV's careful marketing and salesmanship. Writing it all out, I feel kind of stupid. But, ya know what? It doesn't matter to me. Actually, I think this is a happy coincidence of LV's image matching my new image of myself. I guess I don't feel so dumb after all!

I have read here that some of you grew up with mothers who carried only LV or Gucci or such, and so getting your own is not really a big deal. But for me, I am completely breaking with the past to buy and carry such of a conspicuous bag. In a way, getting my LV will be a sort of Declaration of Independence for me. I am finally at the point where I want to define myself and my life. (I turned 40 this year, in case you can't tell!) I'm not hiding anymore!!!!

But I am really curious about how other people have come to the decision to buy and carry and LV. Was it a big deal for you? Did it mark a special time in your life? Carrying your first LV, how did it make you feel the first time you went out in public with it?

Not a big deal. I carried Coach when I was in high school. I was also a big Gucci fan (still love it) Then I started making money and got lv. I really do not think most people notice or care. I think most people see soooo many fakes a real one does not stand out or faze them.

I felt different carrying a Chanel-I was like wow I have a Chanel!! LOL

I've loved LV for the past 10-12 years. I would peruse eLuxury when I was 11 and 12 oooohing and aaaaaahing over the bags!

For me it says that my hard work in college has paid off and my career is taking off.

Mine was to prove a point to my dad and his now ex wife that I too can have a LV. His ex used to carry tons of them. I asked her one day what it is and she said LV. My dad then looks at me and said, " You will never be able to get one of these." :wtf: Well, the look on their faces were priceless when years later they saw my Mono Speedy 25.

Mine was to prove a point to my dad and his now ex wife that I too can have a LV. His ex used to carry tons of them. I asked her one day what it is and she said LV. My dad then looks at me and said, " You will never be able to get one of these." :wtf: Well, the look on their faces were priceless when years later they saw my Mono Speedy 25.

OMG was your dad buying them for HER?

I have to say that I at first felt shy about carrying my first LV around (because I can feel all of the looks I get)..but now I love carrying my bag! Now I cannot go back to coach or anything else for the time being..I just started my collection!

OMG was your dad buying them for HER?

Of course he was. My dad was the big bad boss and she was the mistress secretary that he left my mom for and married. What goes around comes around, because my dad left her now. He left her for a girl my age. I can't stand that broad he is with now. She is also probably getting LVs. Sorry for the rant. :rant::back2topic:

To me my 1st LV was like....Wahoooo I finally own one... as I worked hard to get the essentials in life ie: houses, cars etc... it was like now i've got all that out the way I can have a little luxury thats just for 'ME'

i know what you mean about the difference between being the first of the family to have LV, compared to people whose mum had it, isabellam.

But i don't have the same feelings about these:

1. YES, I AM WORTH IT.

2. I am beautiful

3. I am not poor anymore

4. I am any woman's equal

5. My husband is successful

i don't feel it has anything to do with my partner, i don't think it makes me better/equal/worse than any other woman, i don't feel wealthy, i don't think it particularly makes someone more beautiful (just gives a certain style). i kind of get number one - i do feel i have worked for it.

just my opinion. i love LV but obviously in a different way. glad it makes you happy.

My 1st LV also communicated to me that I'm worth it.

To me:
It shows my love for fashion.
It shows that I enjoy the finer things in life.
Both my LV & I show I'm a classy & sophisticated woman with classy & sophisticated style.
& my 1st LV is sentimental because it reminds me that my hubby loves me very, very much (although I don't really need a reminder of this fact)!

Last edited:
My first LV was empowering....I wanted it and saved up for it and went out and bought it..however I did not use it till this year! and I bought it 2003...have used other LV but not the first one till this year....

I felt normal... Nothing too different, to me. I just started noticing other people's LVs more. LOL
I agree, it wasn't a life changing or meaningful event for me. I just loved LV and was happy to be able to carry such a gorgeous purse. That could be because my mom always had really expensive purses when I was growing up.. it was just normal.

Well after careful consideration and saving, I'm happy to report that I ordered my FIRST LV today, can't wait for it to get here. I ordered a neverfull pm. I ordered it from louisvuitton.com and will post pics when it comes!