Crossing the line - what it meant to buy your first LV

I work to afford my own LV so it makes me feel happy to have something that I love and my next purchase gives me something to look forward to and another reason to put up with some of the nasty, rude, whinging people that I have to be nice to when they come in the door at work.

I love reading post like these because it makes me happy that LV makes so many of us happy. I have loved purses since I can remember. I never thought I'd be able to ever afford a luxury bag as nice an LV; however,the day I got my first LV, I felt so special and beautiful, it made me feel like a princess.I even feel luxurious when wear with shorts and flip flops. Lol. I even took the plunge and bought a chanel but I didn't get the same feeling as I got with the LV, so I sold it.

I just got my first LV Bag that I actually purchased in the store. It is a Neverfull Monogram PM and I got the Monogram Alexandra Wallet. I love them. My husband told me I could get these for my birthday. That was such a great experience walking into the LV store. I felt jittery because I didn't know which wallet to pick and I was getting overwhelmed. The very first LV I had was through Craigslist but I am glad that I was able to purchase them in the store!!

My first LV was the Manhattan. I fell for the style of the bag, not necessarily for the brand. I waited to get it because if I was going to spend that much money on a bag, wanted to make sure I *really* loved it.
It made me very happy and it still does. It is a beautiful, well made, bag. Now I want a shoulder bag, but can't quite decide which one.

It was really unexpected. I had some extra cash on hand and walked it and bought my Speedy. I'm actually a little self-conscious because of the stares I get when carrying anything Mono. So i'm really loving Damier right now.

Hey there.

what's really beautiful is what your first LV made you feel about yourself, but try not to attribute all these feelings to your handbag. After all, it was you who decided on the purse, raised the money and finally bought it. I think you should be happy about yourself and be proud of your determination and insistence, given the fact that you don't belong to a family where LV, Pradas and Guccis are spread all over the house!
To sum up, these are too great emotions to be only born by a handbag. I believe you should focus on you who made it all happen!

Ciao.

my first LV 20 or more years ago didnt feel like luxury to me because I was truly in love with the design/make of the bag I bought.

The smell of a new LV was intoxicating and addicting though....that got me hooked to L V.

having grown up with parents who had the finest of things, none of which were much of a big deal to me growing up..
i don't think i've felt much 'emotion' from purchasing any designer handbag for that matter.. it may be more the association or circumstance that gave them meaning to me...

when i did decide to get my first LV, it was on our 10th anniversary trip to France (i was 31)..
what made it much more special to me was having come home with such a LVoely souvenir from a romantic 'nth' honeymoon in Paris... :love:

Last edited:
I never thought I'd actually own an LV. It was one of those things I thought was impossible. The truth was, I didn't even know how much an LV cost. I just knew they were terribly expensive. In my family, we were raised to be frugal and look for value for money. But last year one my bestfriends bought an LV because she wanted a real bag after a lifetime of cheapies that she threw out. She was the one who broke the barrier for me. I was like, we can afford it? Damn, I thought those things cost millions! But being frugal, I was still hesitant and was still undecided about getting a 7a replica or the real thing. But then something happened and I realized I need a bag that said "Eat my Louis Vuitton, b****!" Of course a fake just wouldn't cut it. So I am now decided on getting a Louis Vuitton. I just can't decide which one to get. I am leaning towards the Speedy (25 or 30?! ack.. decisions) because I want something classic and recognizable.

I would love to hear your suggestions on which bag to get. I want something I can take to lunch and "casually" show off. Heck, there I was trying to be low-profile and nice and I get some comments about my weight. I know I'm being *****y but I want my LV to say "you have no right to judge me, my bag costs more than you'll ever scrounge up in a year". ::*****y off:: I can't wait to walk into the LV store and buy one! I just don't know which one to get. I like the Neverfull for the casual Sunday chic, but I don't think it will make the same statement as a Speedy, you think? Monogram, of course. I don't think my intended audience would recognize any other.

Then of course, after that, I'll try starving for LV to lose weight! :yahoo:Seems like as good a diet as any! Very motivational, too!

I felt normal... Nothing too different, to me. I just started noticing other people's LVs more. LOL

This describes my feelings too. I definitely notice LV a lot more now (although it is not common in my city, so that makes it even more special when I see one). :smile:

I will say that I started into LV because prior to it, I was a HUGE Coach collector. I never looked at LV because I had convinced myself that they were waaaayyy to expensive. :P Then Coach's price point started creeping up to the same price point as LVs so I decided "why not?"

And then it began.... :love:

kryjnn, I also felt that I would never own an LV. I was a Coach collector for almost 20 years and was surrounded by fake LV's on the NYC subway, especially in the 80's. I stayed away since I didn't think I could afford a real LV.
A couple of years ago I bought my first one- pre-loved- and I loved it!!! It was the Petite bucket. Then I got the Alma-- but when I got the Speedy it was all over for me:cloud9:.... I will be getting my third one this Friday.
I feel I work hard and I deserve to be pampered in some way. With some people jewelry is their "thing", others it's shoes... I can wear flip flops forever but I have to have my LV.
And you know what? I live in Florida so my shoe money will go right to buy more bags every year, ha ha:yahoo:

Forgot to mention, if you want people to notice you have an LV bag- definitely get the mono- preferably Speedy- you would be surprised how many people don't know the Damier line is actually LV. In some ways, I like that because people get catty especially when they see you have more than one LV bag!
(I hate that!! I used to get attitude with my Coach bags too!):amazed:
I would start with the mono and then.......:biggrin:

LVLoveaffair, yup.. I pretty much have decided to get the Speedy. I'll go check out the store this weekend and see which size fits me better. But, oh my, I think my mother would freak out if she saw that I bought an LV. She would rather I use the money to buy something like diamonds, or preferably save it. I'll guess I'll start with one first and see how things go :biggrin:

I fell in love with LV only a few years ago but never thought I could afford it.
A friend of mine was into fakes and tried to get me to buy one. The look of them and knowing they were fake didn't sit well with me. Also the amount of $$$ that the sellers wanted for the fake, seriously? I thought I might as well save up for the real thing.
That's exactly what I did. I put aside money every month until I could afford the Damier Speedy 25. My first LV ever.
It makes me feel proud knowing my bag is authentic, independent and strong. It is my money, I bought it myself, I didn't need to depend on anyone else to get it for me or any designer piece for that matter.
That is why I don't think I could ever sell it because it means so much to me.

Last edited: